Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes Experiment Results
We conducted 8+ tests with varying sizes of Sweet Potatoes using different pressure cooking times in our Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker.
*HP = High Pressure NR = Natural Release
After playing around with various factors, we developed a system for the optimal pressure cooking time for making Sweet Potatoes in Instant Pot.
How To Cook Potatoes In Instant Pot
Boil or cook potatoes in Instant Pot is very quick and easy method.
Potato is the most versatile vegetable that can be paired with any other veggies. It is staple food in Indian kitchen at least in my kitchen. I make many sabzi, curry, tikki using potato. And of course many non-Indians also use potatoes in like potato salad, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes etc.
I used to boil the potato in my traditional pressure cooker where I have keep track of number of whistles and need to stay there to turn off the stove once ready. But when we cook potatoes in Instant pot, we dont have to worry about counting whistles. In short, you dont need to be present there while it is cooking.
Actually most of the times, I use delay start to cook potatoes in Instant pot. For example, I need boiled potatoes in the morning to make sabzi for lunch-box or to make aloo paratha for breakfast. So the night before, I adjust the delay start and the hot, boiled potatoes are ready when I get into the kitchen next morning. This is such a time-saver. Owning an Instant pot is such a blessing!!!
For Whole Butternut Squash:
- Peel the butternut squash if desired. Slice the butternut squash in half or quarters either way horizontally or vertically and remove the seeds.
- OR leave the butternut squash whole. You can skip the first step and make it seriously easy if you can fit the entire squash in the pot. It will be more difficult to scoop out the seeds cleanly, and this is not my preferred method personally.
- Place the halves into the trivet or directly into the put with one cup of water.
- Cook on high pressure for around 12 minutes and follow up with a natural pressure release for 5 minutes before performing a quick release.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Hamburger Meat In The Instant Pot
Starchy Vegetables In Instant Pot
First, lets talk about starchy vegetables. These are the veggies that will be the most forgiving as they often need a longer time to cook: potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, squash, beets, sweet potatoes. But, not all starches are created equal. Whether you love your meat and potatoes or youre cooking your way through the hardy veg during the fall season, heres how to do it .
How Do You Cook Perfect Potatoes In The Instant Pot Find Out How To Make A Big Batch And Use Them All Week Long For Potato Salad Breakfast Skillets And Roasted Potatoes For Dinner
I dont always prep or cook in advance, but boy am I glad when I do. Its so nice to go into the fridge and find things that are easy assemble into a quick meal.
Like potatoes! A pressure cooker makes fast work of steaming a bunch of cubed potatoes, and I use them for all sorts of things all week long.
You might be thinking that its overkill to bring out the pressure cooker for a simple kitchen task like steaming vegetables, but it’s the way that works for me.
I like being able to load up the cooker, press a button, and walk away, rather than waiting around tending a pot on the stove. My Instant Pot also beeps ten times in a row when its done, and I can hear it from just about anywhere in my little apartment so I know when my food is ready.
Using the pressure cooker doesn’t always save you time with these types of kitchen prep tasks, but I think it does make them more convenient. I actually keep my Instant Pot on the counter at all times because I use it nearly every day!
Recommended Reading: How Long To Cook Fava Beans In Instant Pot
For Whole & Halved Brussels Sprouts:
- Wash your brussels sprouts first. You can choose now to halve them or keep them whole. Halving them will work better if you want a more authentic roasted end result.
- Place a steaming rack or the trivet into the pot along with one cup of water. Then, place the brussels sprouts into it.
- Cook the sprouts on HIGH for 1 minute and follow up with a quick release of pressure. The 1-minute cooking window is better for halved sprouts or small sprouts. Cook for 2 minutes if you have large, whole sprouts.
- Once the sprouts are softened, you can set them aside. Pour out the water you used to cook with.
- Set the pot to saute mode and add 1-2 tbsp. of coconut oil, olive oil or butter . A high smoke point is ideal. Now, add the sprouts back in. You can add a little garlic, lemon or herbs
- Saute until crispy with desired spices and serve.
Get The Latest Recipes Right In Your Inbox:
The most foolproof way to make baked potatoes! Fluffy, fork-tender insides with super golden, crisp skin in just half the time!
Sometimes I ask myself, what cant the Instant Pot do?
They can basically do anything and everything, making your life so much easier, especially when it can bake potatoes in just 15 minutes.
Im dead serious. All you have to do is pierce your potatoes 5-7 times with a fork, throw it into your IP and let it pressure cook for just 14 minutes to be exact.
Theres no babysitting, no rotating of pans, no fuss here.
Just let it release pressure naturally then slice open your potatoes and add on all your butter, salt and pepper. You can also load them up with cheese, bacon and chives.
Its completely up to you but you really cant go wrong either way. Because you just baked your potatoes in 15 minutes.
Recommended Reading: How To Clean Instant Pot Lid In Dishwasher
How Do You Steam Red Potatoes In The Instant Pot
Cut your potatoes into quarters, leaving the skin on. You can peel them first, but the skin will fall right off if you have picky eaters.
Place in your Instant pot or any electric pressure cooker.
Pour your water over the top. Season with salt and pepper and then add your butter to the top .
Place lid on top and set to sealing.
Allow it to cook and when finished manually remove the pressure.
Remove lid and stir the potatoes coating it in the delicious buttery sauce.
How To Boil Potatoes In The Instant Pot
Making boiled potatoes in the Instant Pot is the BEST and easiest way. Just follow these simple steps:
- Prep the Potatoes Wash your potatoes thoroughly with a scrub brush and water. Then, measure the circumference of each and average that out to know how long youll need to cook them in the Instant Pot.
- Prep the Instant Pot Put the potatoes into the pot, pour in the water, and add sea salt if desired.
- Cook the Potatoes Secure the lid to your pot, turn the valve to the sealing position, and set your device to cook on high pressure. Set the time for the necessary amount of time, depending on the average potato circumference. Once theyre done cooking, do nothing and wait for full natural pressure release.
- Remove the Potatoes from the Instant Pot Use kitchen tongs or a colander to remove the potatoes from the pressure cooker and set on a platter.
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot On Stove
Tips For The Instant Pot
To get started, youll want to pour 1 ¼ cups of water into insert of the Instant Pot. Grab the steamer insert or another type of metal collapsable vegetable steamer. I use the same one I use in my regular pots. Place it in the Instant Pot and place the potatoes inside.
How many potatoes can you cook at one time? In the standard size Instant Pot you can do up to 8 potatoes. You do not need to adjust the cook time if you are doing more or less.
Select MANUAL pressure for the given times below:
- 11 minutes for small potatoes
- 14 minutes for medium potatoes
- 17 minutes for large potatoes
- 20 minutes for extra large potatoes
Once the potatoes are fully cooked, let the pressure come down naturally. This means you wont switch the valve over to venting. Instead, youll wait for 7-10 minutes until the pin drops.
What potatoes can you use for this recipe?
I would suggest using Russet potatoes. Youll want to pick potatoes that are all roughly the same size. This will ensure that all of the potatoes cook evenly.
What To Do With Leftover Mashed Potatoes
I really love having leftover mashed potatoes! Well often make a double batch and have mashed potatoes and gravy the first night.
The next night, Ill make the topping from my Instant Pot Cheesy Potatoes Au Gratin. Warm up the leftover potatoes, top with the cheese and breadcrumb topping, and pop under the broiler until the cheese is melted and the breadcrumbs are crispy.
You May Like: Frozen Tamales In Pressure Cooker
Yukon Gold Potatoes Russet Potatoes And Red Potatoes
There are thousands of varieties of potatoes and Im sure this method will work with any type. I often cook with three varieties of potatoes: Yukon gold, red, and russet. Ive tested this recipe with these three varieties. For Indian cooking, I typically use gold or red potatoes.
Yukon Gold Potatoes: Yukon gold potatoes are a good all-purpose potato. They are a bit waxy and also a bit starchy . They are thin-skinned, creamy, and have a slight sweetness to them.
- When to use: Great all-purpose potato that you can use in nearly any recipe. They are great for mashing, roasting, baking, frying.
Red Potatoes: these waxy potatoes are typically smaller than other varieties, though they can vary in size as well. Like gold potatoes, they are also thin-skinned.
- When to use: Great all-purpose potato. These potatoes hold their shape well which is good when you dont want the flesh to fall apart in a recipe, for example when making potato salad, hash browns, scalloped potatoes, or when adding to a soup/stew.
- When not to use: dont suggest using this variety when making mashed potatoes as they can be a bit gluey.
Russet Potatoes: Russets, also known as baking potatoes, are starchy and a bit drier than red or gold potatoes. They are thicker-skinned than red and gold potatoes and so if Im using them in a recipe, Ill usually peel the skin.
Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes: Mashing
How do you like your mashed potatoes? Dense and creamy or light and fluffy? Im firmly in the light and creamy camp. This means that I whip my potatoes with a handheld mixer instead of mashing them with the traditional potato masher.
Here are the tools you can use for mashing potatoes
Results: Dense, thick mashed potatoes often dotted with small lumps.
Pros: Easy-to-use. Kid-friendly.
link: the potato masher that I use and love.
Ricer/ Food Mill
Results: Creamy, dense mashed potatoes
Pros: Makes mashed potatoes with a silky texture. No lumps here.
Cons: Pain to clean
link: the food mill that I have. Nothing fancy for me.
Note: You dont have to peel potatoes before putting them through a ricer. Ive found this to be somewhat true. Some of the peel always gets through and the holes tend to clog on me. Id rather spend a few minutes peeling the potatoes than futzing with a clogged ricer.
Pros: Whips a batch of potatoes very quickly.
Cons: Dirties a second bowl.
Cons: Turns potatoes into a dense, gluey puree. Avoid the food processor when youre making mashed potatoes.
So which should you use? Whichever one you like. Seriously. They all make great mashed potatoes.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Why Use The Instant Pot
Baked Potatoes are probably one of the worlds best side dishes. And maybe even the most popular.
Potatoes are pretty affordable, and quite filling. You can customize them in so many ways with various toppings. Or make au gratin potatoes!
However, you first have to start with the perfect baked potato.
For years Ive been baking my potatoes in the oven, just like my mom taught me, and her mom taught her. But are they really the easiest side dish when often times they take LONGER than the main dish?
I mean, sure they are EASY, but they can be time consuming.
Until now. Ive recently discovered my love of making potatoes in the Instant Pot.
Not only do they come out creamy and perfect on the inside, but they are done in far less time than it takes in the oven!
Can You Freeze Boiled Eggs
Whether it is hard boiled eggs or soft boiled eggs, you may store the boiled eggs in freezer in freezer safe bags or containers. This is especially hepful & necessary if you have made a large batch of boiled eggs.
However, the whites of the eggs may not freeze really well since the texture of the whites can turn more hard and rubbery once it is frozen.
You may separate the whites and yolks and just freeze the egg yolks, in freezer safe containers so you may use the egg yolks for more longer time .
You May Like: Can Crock Pot Liners Be Used In An Instant Pot
Instantpot Trivet Hack 5
How about warming 2 different food at the time ? Yes you can do that as well.this is my fifth instant pot trivet hack you got to try.
I have my instant pot fried rice in the morning and had some leftover with some gravy. I used the inner pot with instantpot fried rice and the gravy placed on top of the trivet to reheat the food at the same time.
If you have some amazing instant pot hacks and want to share with others please leave in comments below.
How To Store Sweet Potatoes
- Dont Refrigerate: sweet potatoes dont keep well in the fridge.
- Cool & Dark Place: store in the pantry in a cool, dark place
- Well Ventilated: Try to store in a loosely covered bag or basket to allow air circulation
- Storage Duration :
- Raw Sweet Potatoes: last for about 3 5 weeks
- Cooked Sweet Potatoes: last for 7 days in the fridge in a tightly closed container
You May Like: How Long To Cook Brisket In Instant Pot
Ready To Make This Easy Instant Pot Pot Roast
Step 1: Sear the RoastStep 2: Prepare the Instant Pot and deglazeStep 3: CookStep 4: Let pressure releaseStep 5: Enjoy!
How long does it take to cook a Roast in an Instant Pot?
It takes approximately 60 to 80 minutes.
Yes, you can. Since pressure cooking cooks meat quicker than in a slow cooker, its safe to do.
Why is my Instant Pot Roast still tough?
Usually if its still tough its because it still needs time to cook.
What is the best roast to use for a pot roast??
Hands down, a chuck roast. It shreds so much better.
How To Make Instant Pot Steak And Potatoes With Gravy
First things first, lets prep the meat.
I bought pre-cut stew meat from my grocery store. The stew meat is sirloin chunks. You could even cut your own steak into bite sized pieces.
The meat is going to marinade before we pop it into the Instant Pot. The marinade really helps to make the meat tender as well as give it a nice flavor.
The marinade consists of soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce , oil, garlic, onion and parsley.
Let the meat sit in the marinade for as long as you can. The longer the better.
Ive gotten away with only marinating for an hour before but the the night before or morning of works great!
I like to put my meat and the marinade into a ziplock bag. I always press all of the air out of the bag so the meat really soaks up all of that marinade.
So, refrigerate the meat soaking up all of that delicious marinade for as long as you can, up to 24 hours.
When you are ready to make dinner, first brown the meat in the Instant Pot on the saute setting. The saute setting acts just like your stove top.
A lot of people dont know this, but you can actually adjust the temperature on the Instant Pot while using the saute setting! Each model adjusts a little differently, on the 6 qt duo if you hit the adjust button right after the Saute button it will toggle between the 3 different temperature settings.
While the meat is browning, peel and cut your potatoes.
After the meat has been browned for a few minutes, remove the meat from the Instant Pot.
Don’t Miss: Steel Cut Oats Instant Pot Ratio
For Simple Instant Pot Steamed Asparagus Stalks:
- Trim off the woody bottom ends of the asparagus as these dont cook up nicely. Wash the veggies.
- Place the asparagus into a steamer basket or trivet, then place the basket into the pot with one cup of water.
- Drizzle asparagus with olive oil or add butter, season if youd like.
- For tender, firm results: Cook on HIGH pressure for 0 minutes and perform a quick pressure release.
- For softer results: Cook on HIGH pressure for 1-2 minutes and perform a quick release.
- If you have thicker stalks: Add 1-2 minutes to each cooking time.
- If you have thin, stringy stalks: Cook on LOW pressure for 1 minute.