Instant Pot Parts And Accessories
The first thing youll want to do is wash the parts of your Instant Pot. The Instant Pot lid, steam release valve and stainless steel inner pot are dishwasher safe however, I wash mine by hand. The base unit is not dishwasher safe never immerse the base unit in water.
For Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes:
- Begin with the recipe above. If you prefer to have your mashed potatoes without skins, make sure to peel the potatoes prior to cooking.
- When the potatoes are done the cooking, unseal the lid and add in your favourite mashed potato ingredients. You can reserve some of the water in the pot for mashing, or replace it entirely with milk/a milk substitute.
- You can follow any mashed potato recipe you like for the next step. Mash everything together in the pot for a one-pot meal. The residual heat will also make it easy to mash the spuds and blend everything together. Plus, the potatoes will be hot for serving if your pot is set to the warming function.
- Add-in ideas: olive oil, butter, milk, buttermilk, heavy cream, coconut milk, almond milk, salt, pepper, sour cream, chives, Parmesan cheese.
Copycat Starbucks Egg Bites
These Starbucks egg bites are incredible and they are so easy. You can freeze them and reheat them in the microwave whenever you need a quick hot breakfast on the go. I love to make these for the whole family. They are healthy but also budget friendly. That means you can enjoy these as often as you want without worrying about spending tons of money!
Read Also: Insta Pot Says Burn
Storing Leftover Steamed Buns :
To prevent them from sticking to one another, place the steamed buns on an oven tray, and partially freeze them in the freezer.
Then place the partially frozen bao in Ziploc bags. Remove the excess air in the ziploc bags and seal tight.
For best quality, you can store the bao in the freezer for up to 3 months .
Too Much Water Has Evaporated Before Problem Was Fixed
If the pot was not initially sealed properly and you corrected the problem, its possible that too much liquid evaporated and so there isnt enough liquid to create the required steam. This can cause the Instant Pot to not pressurize.
SOLUTION: Open the Instant Pot, and check the quantity of liquid. You need 1/2 cup to 1 cup of liquid. Add more liquid if necessary.
Also Check: Instant Pot Sealing Ring Install
The Ultimate Guide To Instant Pot Steamed Vegetables
Published Updated August 26, 2021 By Meeta Arora | This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Along with all of the amazing meals and desserts you can cook in the Instant Pot, there are tons of simple things you can do with it as well. Whether it be carrots, asparagus, green beans, or pumpkin, you can perfectly steam almost any vegetable in the Instant Pot!
So why cook your veggies in the Instant Pot?
- It helps retain nutrients. Boiling veggies, often carrots and broccoli, tends to result in them being drained of their nutritional value. Using the Instant Pot means you can choose specific times and settings for different vegetables, allowing you to properly cook the veggies, but still keep them healthy!
- It’s super quick! Many of these recipes take under 15 minutes.
- It’s a no-fail, dump & go process. You don’t need to monitor the veggies as they cook, or worry about over/under cooking! Hassle-free, perfect for those of you with super busy schedules.
- In case the above points didn’t convince you enough, take it from me you’ll get perfectly cooked veggies every time!
Cook starchy vegetables such as potatoes and corn, or cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower, with ease. It’s as simple as adding a cup of liquid, adding your veggies, sealing the lid and forgetting about them!
Also be sure to check out how I steam a vegetable medley in the Instant Pot at the bottom of this post!
How Do You Make A Food Steamer At Home
A: To make a food steamer at home, you will need a pot or pan that is large enough to fit your steamer basket. You will also need a lid for the pot or pan. Then, fill the pot with water and place it on the stovetop. Once the water has come to a boil, place your steamer basket in the pot and cover it with the lid. Allow it to cook for about 10 minutes before removing from heat and allowing it to cool down.
Read Also: How To Cook Tamales From Costco
What To Keep In Mind When Steaming Vegetables In The Instant Pot
- Most vegetables should be sliced into relatively large chunks otherwise, they might overcook. The exceptions are dense vegetables such as carrots and sweet potatoes. Slice dense vegetables into 1/2-inch thick pieces.
- Fill up the Instant Pot to at least 1/2 to 3/4 of the capacity. Otherwise, it will come to pressure too quickly, and the vegetables wont cook through.
- Do a Quick Release as soon as the Instant Pot finishes cooking otherwise, the vegetables will overcook.
- If you open the lid and the vegetables are still undercooked, close the lid, and the residual heat will steam the vegetables some more.
What’s The Best Instant Pot Steamer
Over the years, Ive tried several steamer baskets, of all shapes and sizes. So, I gathered all my experiences and created a Best Steamer Basket for Instant Pot guide. I talk about how to choose such a device, why its important to have one, and I review some of the products I love the best.
You May Like: How To Cook Brisket In Pressure Cooker
How To Steam Tamales
How to cook tamales? The most common way of steaming tamales is by using a steamer with multiple compartments. A pressure cooker or slow cooker can do in a pinch. Homemade tamales are amazing, especially pork tamales.
There has to be enough water to create steam without making the tamales wet, and these steamers are designed to keep the tamales above the water level through an effective basket. You want to avoid soggy tamales at all costs, remember.
If you find that you are running out of water throughout this steaming process, feel free to add as much water as you need, but make sure to pour it down the side of the pot as opposed to on top of the tamales.
One tip for knowing if you need more water is to drop a coin down the side if you hear it rattle against the bottom, you need more water.
Stack the tamales with the open tops of the husks facing the opening of the steamer it helps if you make a large batch so they can stand upright for longer.
Make sure to put a heat proof cup in the center to help the tamales balance. Place other husks or clean cloths over the tamales to keep the steam close.
Bring the water to boil and then turn it down to a low heat and start your cooking time. This is the same as preheating an oven the cooking time does not start when you are just beginning to heat up the water!
It takes usually between 1-2 hours to fully cook the tamales just be sure to check around the 1.5 hour mark to see if the masa dough has kept the structure.
How To Steam Broccoli Instant Pot
The best way to steam broccoli in instant pot is using a steamer basket like this or a foldable steamer basket like this one.You can use these steamzer baskets for a lot of other things also- like steaming potatoes or carrots or boiling eggs.
If you dont want to buy a basket, you can also use the trivet that comes with the instant pot.
Here is a Super Easy Chart to help you cook your broccoli
|Texture of Broccoli|
It takes about 10 minutes for the whole process- including the time it takes for instant pot to come to pressure.
Recommended Reading: How To Steam Brussel Sprouts In Instant Pot
Using Saute Function After Cooking
The Sauté function is also useful for finishing the dish after pressure cooking is done. Once the pressure has been completely released, open the lid and then press Sauté button again. Press the button again to cycle through Less or More for lower or higher temperature.
Use it for:
- Simmering the sauce or broth in the dish that needs to evaporate and reduce or thicken.
- Adding more fragile or no-cooking-required ingredients like baby spinach, fresh tomatoes, fruit, cheese, milk or cream.
- Thickening sauce with butter, cream or flour.
Kale & Other Sturdy Leafy Greens
Kale is the ultimate superfood. You just feel healthy when you eat kale. Its a fact of life. Its actually quite tasty. Most greens are jam-packed with micronutrients that our bodies love. These micronutrients help us stay healthy and avoid deficiency. They also provide antioxidants and help us to naturally detox and fight off oxidative damage. We all know we need to eat our greens. Let the Instant Pot make it easier.
Don’t Miss: What To Do If Instant Pot Says Burn
For Instant Pot Chunked Celery:
- From fresh: Cook on high pressure for 2-3 minutes before performing a quick release.
- From frozen: Cook on high pressure for 3-4 minutes before performing a quick release.
We hope that you found this Instant Pot 101 guide helpful. Make sure to bookmark it for later for all of your vegetable cooking needs! If you enjoyed it, wed love if you spread the word and share this article.
Why I Prefer Steaming Vegetables In The Instant Pot
Steaming is one of the healthiest methods of cooking fresh vegetables and can be a real lifesaver for those busy weeknight dinners.
But steaming in the microwave or on the stovetop can be quite annoying because you always have to watch the water level while doing other things. Not to mention increasing the humidity in your kitchen or even getting a blast of steam in your face.
This is why I prefer steaming vegetables in the Instant Pot.
This method has only one disadvantage you cant check on the vegetables while they are cooking because the lid of the Instant Pot is closed.
The solution to this problem is steaming vegetables in the Instant Pot a few times until you get consistent results.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Poultry Button
For Whole Butternut Squash:
- Peel the butternut squash if desired. Slice the butternut squash in half or quarters either way horizontally or vertically and remove the seeds.
- OR leave the butternut squash whole. You can skip the first step and make it seriously easy if you can fit the entire squash in the pot. It will be more difficult to scoop out the seeds cleanly, and this is not my preferred method personally.
- Place the halves into the trivet or directly into the put with one cup of water.
- Cook on high pressure for around 12 minutes and follow up with a natural pressure release for 5 minutes before performing a quick release.
How To Steam Tamales On The Stovetop
When you are reheating Tamales directly from frozen on the stovetop, It will take about 40 minutes. But you must check the Tamales for overcooking after every 20-minute interval. Heres how to steam Tamales on the stovetop.
You May Like: Kale In The Instant Pot
Instant Pot Poultry Setting
The poultry Instant Pot setting is best for cookingyou guessed itchicken! The mode you choose depends on the size of the chicken pieces and the cut as chicken breast needs less cooking time and is easily overcooked compared to chicken thighs. You can use this setting to cook chicken meat or a dish that contains poultry in it such as chicken and potatoes or chicken and rice . Poultry setting is only available on 6-quart and 8-quart models, not on the mini! Below is how to use the Poultry setting on Instant Pot.
- Turn the Instant Pot on, it will say OFF to indicate the Stand-By mode. Add chicken, seasoning and liquids to the pot. Secure and lock the lid. Press the Poultry button. The default setting is pre-programmed to set the pot to cook at HIGH pressure for 15 minutes, which is suitable for larger pieces of chicken. If you press the Poultry button again, you can adjust the mode from Normal to Less or More .
If desired, use the / + buttons to further customize the time. The cooking time may be adjusted at any time during pressure cooking.
Allow poultry to rest for 5-10 minutes, depending on size. It will reabsorb cooking juices for tender, succulent meat. Essentially, what this means is that you should allow the Instant Pot to release pressure naturally when possible.
Instant Pot Multigrain Setting
This setting is best suited to cooking tougher, whole grains like brown and wild rice, farro, millet and steel-cut oats it can also be used to cook dry beans and a mixture of grains and legumes. We find that this is one of the most confusing functions for people because some of the recommended manual cooking times for grains dont match the pre-programmed setting times, so its hard to know when to use this function. Below is how to use the Multigrain setting on the Instant Pot.
- Turn the Instant Pot on, it will say OFF to indicate the Stand-By mode. Add the grains, liquid and seasoning if you wish. Secure and lock the lid. Press the Multigrain button. The default setting is pre-programmed to set the pot to cook at High pressure for 40 minutes. If you press the Multigrain button again, you can adjust the mode from Normal to Less or More.
If desired, use the / + buttons to further customize the time. The cooking time may be adjusted at any time during pressure cooking.
If cooking dry beans, ensure they are completely submerged in water the same if youre making a mixture of grains and beans.
Read Also: Thawing Hamburger In Instant Pot
What To Serve With Artichokes
Artichokes are delicious by themselves, but I also love dipping them in my simple and flavorful Lemon Herb Artichoke Dipping Sauce. Artichokes can also be dipped in butter, garlic aioli, lemon vinaigrette or mayonnaise.
Now that you know how to cook artichokesin the Instant pot, take a look at these other informative tutorials and recipes:
Four: Prep The Tamale Filling
Now that we have the Intant Pot chicken all cooked, its time to get the final filling put together!
First, shred the chicken. My favorite hack is shredded my chicken with a stand mixer. Just add the paddle attachment on the stand mixer, and mix on medium speed for a few seconds until everything is shredded. Once its all shredded, finely chop the chicken using a knife, so its nice and fine, then set to the side.
Next, were going to make the sauce. Be sure NOT to discard anything from the Instant Pot until after this step.
Remove anaheim peppers and or poblano peppers, onion, and garlic from the Instant Pot and add to a blender, along with ½ cup of chicken stock from the Instant Pot. Add in a pinch of salt and 1 tablespoon of chipotle sauce. Blend together until everything is smooth. Add to the finely chopped chicken and thoroughly mix together.
Now, set this aside & lets get ready to assemble our tamales!
Dont Miss: How To Make Sushi Rice Instant Pot
Don’t Miss: Cooking Kale In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Steamed Vegetables
Instant Pot Steamed vegetables make a perfect healthy side dish. They are very easy to make, and you can create your own favorite vegetable medley. If you have some fresh vegetables on hand, you can make these Instant Pot vegetables in just a few minutes.
Inspecting Your Instant Pot Before Each Use
1. Remove the stainless steel inner pot and look inside the instant pot base. You will see the heating element. The heating element should always be free of debris and dry before you use you the Instant Pot. After washing, I always dry my stainless steel inner pot thoroughly before returning it to the base unit.
2. Check that the silicone sealing ring is fitted properly onto the lid and is clean and free of tears.
3. Remove the steam release valve from the Instant Pot lid by gently pulling it straight up. Make sure it is clean and free of debris. Some foods, such as applesauce, pasta and oatmeal may froth and foam when you cook them and can clog the steam release valve. Check the steam release valve each time you use your Instant Pot. If it is dirty clean it under running water and then put it back on the Instant Pot lid.
4. Check the float valve to ensure it is clean and free of debris. Clean it with warm water as needed. You may place the lid under running water as needed to wash it.
Making sure that all parts of your Instant Pot are clean and in good working condition can help you to have the best success with pressure cooking. My post about the Instant Pot burn message tells you both how to prevent getting this warning and what to do if you do get a burn message.
Don’t Miss: Pressure Cooker 8 Minute Pork Chops