What Are The Best Cuts Of Meat For Instant Pot Pot Roast
In general, tougher cuts of meat work best for making a Instant Pot pot roast.
These are the cuts of meat that contain a decent amount of fat throughout and connective tissue, so if they were grilled, fried, or cooked quickly in some other way they would be as tough as old boots!
When cooked with a slow cook time, over a low heat, the collagen will eventually break down and melt, creating a fork tender piece of meat.
We want to make that same fall apart tender piece of meat over a much shorter cook time in our pressure cookers!
My favorite, no fail, piece of beef for my Instant Pot Pot Roast is the boneless chuck roast, it works for me every time.
Materials & Methods For Best Pressure Cooker Pot Roast Cooking Time Experiment
Altitude: close to sea levelMeat: USDA Choice Grade chuck roast/ Canada AAA Grade blade roastMeat Thickness: roughly 2 inches thickMeat Weight: 598 608 grams Liquid: 1 cup of chicken stockPressure: High Pressure Cooking Time: 20 minutes, 45 minutes, 75 minutesRelease Method: Full Natural Release for 25 minutes
Oh, look at this baby! So excited when we brought home this 5 pounds chuck roast!!
First, we cut it into 3 nearly identical pieces of chuck steaks and made sure each piece was roughly 2 inches thick.
Pressure cooking time is mostly dependent on the meats thickness, so regardless how much they weigh, as long as theyre 2 inches thick, results will be very similar.
We also made sure each piece was similar in weight. They weigh from 598 grams to 608 grams . Close enough Again, weight is not the most important factor for determining the best cooking time, the thickness matters the most.
To ensure the experiment is as accurate as possible, we repeated the exact same steps for each piece of chuck steak in the pressure cooker.
What Can I Do With Leftover Pot Roast
As I hinted to above, youll love the leftovers almost as much as youll love eating the dish the first time. My favorite ways to eat leftover pot roast, in no particular order:
- On sandwiches. Boring, maybe. But add some banana peppers and a little mayo on top of that roast, slap it between two pieces of bread any bread will do and thats one amazing sandwich!
- Add shredded pot roast to a simple pasta dish.
- Beef empanadas!
- Savory tacos .
- Add leftovers to a beef-based soup.
- Lettuce wraps are a great, low-carb way to serve up this protein.
Read Also: Can You Deep Fry In An Instant Pot
How To Cook Pot Roast From Frozen
The #1 question on our traditional Instant Pot pot roast recipe is how do you cook pot roast from frozen? And here you have the answer: simply dump your ingredients into the pressure cooker, turn it on to high pressure, and walk away.
Because this is a dense cut of meat, a frozen roast will take an hour and 45 minutes to cook through so its super tender.
We generally prefer to brown our beef before pressure cooking. However, if youre cooking a frozen roast, you have to skip this step. Thats where the flavorful marinara and red wine come inthe extra flavor they add makes it so you dont miss the browning.
Minutes Pressure Cooker Pot Roast
- Meat Texture: tender & slightly chewy, more tender than the 20-Minute Pot Roast
- Meat Juice: since most of the connective tissues have broken down, it tastes more juicy and moist than the 20-Minute Pot Roast
- Meat Flavors: flavorful slightly less flavorful compare to the 20-Minute Pot Roast
- Sauce: much more flavorful than the 20-Minute Pot Roast
*If youre thinking how come the picture above has less meat compare to the other two, youre right! Jacky kept taste-testing one piece after another and totally forgot we havent taken a picture yet!!! This happens more often than you think. Oops
Recommended Reading: How To Can In Instant Pot
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Our Favorite Bone Broth is made in a pressure cooker. Think of bone broth as a more intense, velvety broth. It can be used in recipes calling for stock or broth, but also doubles as a delicious and comforting soup to enjoy by itself.
- Easy Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken is perfect for serving with rice, cooked grains or in tortillas.
- Our Ultimate Pulled Pork is amazing when made in a pressure cooker. See our tips as well as how to make it in a slow cooker.
- These Instant Pot Eggs could not be simpler! If you are looking for a 100% foolproof method for how to cook hard or soft boiled eggs, this is it.
- I love making Homemade Applesauce in my pressure cooker! So easy.
Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe
Making Pot Roast in the Instant Pot is a huge time saver. Instant Pot Roast is ready in half the time that it takes to cook the same meal in the oven. You can even enjoy pot roast on a weeknight if you want to using this recipe. No need to wait for a Saturday or Sunday to make this easy instant pot recipe.
Here’s a recipe for Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs that I think you’ll enjoy too.
Plus, pressure cooking a chuck roast makes a normally tough cut of meat so tender and extra flavorful. The meat just falls apart after being cooked in the instant pot, and the resulting juices create the most amazing beef gravy.
To make this recipe even better, we are cooking the meat along with the potatoes and carrots, so that everything is cooked at the same time and ready at the same time. You won’t find an easier Instant Pot Pot Roast recipe anywhere!
This recipe has a long list of ingredients, but they are all simple ones that you probably already have. Most of them are seasonings that will create the most delicious Instant Pot Pot Roast.
Also Check: How To Use Instant Pot As Crock Pot
My Pressure Cooker Pot Roast Was Tough Why Did That Happen
There are a couple of reasons for your Instant Pot pot roast not cooking as expected so Ill run through the most common issues below:
Tips For Making The Best Instant Pot Pot Roast:
- Like I mentioned before, please do not add the veggies for the first cook time. You do not want your veggies cooking an extra 60+ minutes under high pressure! 3 minutes and they are perfectly tender and fluffy.
- You can skip searing the meat if you need to cut out some prep time, but it does add significant flavor to the dish overall. If you dont sear, youll find that your juices will be more beefy and you will taste less of the other flavors.
- If you need to save some time, cut the roast into 2-3 chunks and pressure cook for 40-50 minutes, or save even more time by using pre-cut stewing beef.
- All of my Instant Pot recipes are tested in a 6 quart Instant Pot.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Chicken In An Instant Pot
Why I Love Using The Instant Pot
If you havent jumped on the Instant Pot train yet YOU NEED TO! It is one of the most convenient kitchen appliances I have ever owned. This Instant Pot pot roast recipe is just one of the MANY Instant Pot recipes that I have incorporated into my regular meal rotations. Here are our top three reasons why we love our Instant Pots:
Cook Times For Chuck Roast In Instant Pot
It is recommended that you cook your fresh chuck roast for 20 minutes per pound in the Instant Pot. Most chuck roasts weight between 3-5 lbs..
Chuck Roast in Instant Pot
Time to set your Instant Pot to cook your Instant Pot Beef Pot Roast, all of these times will be followed by a 10 minute natural release, then a quick release.
2.5 lbs. = 50 mins.
3.5 lbs. = 70 mins.
4 lbs. = 80 mins.
No matter what size your chuck roast is you will want to do a 10 minute natural release at the end of the cook time. This is a resting period for the meat before you do a quick release.
Also Check: How To Make Quinoa In Instant Pot
What Are The Best Cuts Of Meat To Use
The best cuts of beef for pot roast are tougher cuts of meat like chuck, brisket, and round.
Traditionally, the beef cooks at a low temperature for a long time. Its because of this that tougher cuts of beef work so well. When I say tougher cuts of meat, Im talking about the leaner cuts with lots of connective tissue.
How To Prepare A Roast For The Pressure Cooker
Cooking a roast in an Instant Pot is quite easy and should take you little more than 10 minutes of prep time.
We hope youre excited to get going with cooking your family a perfect roast and that youre feeling more confident now. Until next time!
Read Also: How To Cook Sirloin Tip Roast In Instant Pot
How Long Does Pot Roast Cook
As long as you cut your beef into smaller pieces , you can get tender beef pot roast with just 35 minutes of HIGH pressure cooking.
Here is a more accurate breakdown of how long it should take from start to finish .
- Prep time + Searing time 17 minutes
- Sauté Onions + Deglaze Pan 5 minutes
- Come to Pressure 8 minutes
- High Pressure Cook 35 minutes
- Natural Pressure Release time 10 minutes
- Make Gravy 8 minutes
- TOTAL TIME 1 hour 23 minutes
The Best Cut Of Meat For Pot Roast
A great Instant pot beef roast starts with a good cut of beef. Normally, tougher cuts work best for pot roast as they have high amounts of collagen that, when cooked over a long period of time, breaks down into gelatin which tenderizes the meat.
Chuck roast is traditionally considered the best cut for pot roast, followed by round roast and/or brisket. For the Instant Pot, I have used both chuck and round, with chuck being my strong preference.
Also Check: What Does C7 Mean On Instant Pot
How To Cook A Roast In The Instant Pot
What To Serve With Pot Roast
With the vegetables and gravy, this pot roast is a hearty meal all by itself. Therefore, it doesnt need much in the way of side dishes.
Leftover beef from this Instant Pot roast recipe makes a great sandwich, especially with a creamy horseradish spread or caramelized onions.
Recommended Reading: Can You Cook Rice In Instant Pot
Tips For The Best Instant Pot Pot Roast
So, with all that background in mind, I have found that there are a few key tips to making a good Instant Pot roast.
- Start with good tried and true cut of meat. So, use a chuck roast. In a pinch a round roast might suffice.
- Use a good amount of flavoring. In my case I cook in beef broth and use Montreal Steak seasoning, onion soup mix, and bay leaves.
- Pressure cook the roast for at least 20 minutes per pound.
- Natural release, preferably a full natural release, but if impatient, try to get at least 20 minutes.
- Pressure cook the vegetables separately to avoid mushy veggies.
Instant Pot Roast Beef
Gone are the days when a delicious pot roast is just reserved for Sunday dinners or trips to grandmas house. Making a pot roast in the Instant Pot takes just 1.5 hours from start to finish and its all done in one pot including the juicy fall apart roast, the tender crisp veggies, and a rich flavourful gravy.
A complete, healthy, and wholesome meal that brings restaurant-quality food to the comfort of your home. We know how easy and delicious these ribs in Instant Pot and pressure cooker pork chops are so its only natural a pot roast joins the ranks of fabulous Instant Pot dinners.
Read Also: How To Steam Vegetables In Instant Pot
The Best Easy Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe
Published: · · About 8 minutes to read this article.
The Best Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe – a delicious tender complete pot roast and potato dinner right from an instant pot! Can be made from-frozen, too!
Be sure to check out our knockout Instant Pot Dr Pepper Pot Roast for another twist on a chuck roast recipe!
Here at Sweet C’s, we have lots of types of readers – those who like to get straight to the recipe, and those who would like more information, including tips and tricks to feeling more comfortable in the kitchen.
We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.