Homemade Instant Pot Greek Yogurt
I love Greek yogurt. My kids love it, too, and for whatever reason, they like it plain and tangy, which I call a mom win since I dont have to add loads of sugar and things to get them to eat it. As a bonus, Greek yogurt is fantastic in so many different things, and when I make it at home, I get the added benefit of having all the yogurt whey to do things with as well!
If you have an Instant Pot, its a cinch to make your own yogurt from scratch as well. It only requires two ingredients and time, and you can make as much as your Instant Pot can hold. If you have one of the pots with the Yogurt setting, its a simple matter of figuring out your preferred level of incubation after some trial and error. Then you can keep making your own yogurt over and over again!
Recommended Reading: What To Do When Instant Pot Says Burn
Why Cool Down Milk In Sink
- While an ice bath will cool the milk quicker, you will have a better overall yogurt result using cold water and not shocking the milk. Using a whisk will aerate the milk and help it to cook down quicker.
If you sense a metallic taste try using this silicone whisk instead. Another way to cool down the milk is to let the cooking pot sit on a cooling rack, but that will take about 30 minutes.
Temperature of Milk Reads 110 Degrees
When the temperature reaches 95-110 degrees, you are ready to add your yogurt starter.
Remove a Little Milk from Instant Pot and Mix in Starter
The yogurt that you use as the Starter, needs to contain live cultures and milk nothing more.
How To Make Instant Pot Keto Cold Start Greek Yogurt
All you have to do is place milk with 2 Tablespoons of Live Cultured Greek yogurt into the Instant Pot. Switch on the feature Yogurt and on you go. In 8 hours all is done.
Because of the way Instant Pot is programmed, both of the ingredients are not going to be boiled and therefore this really is a no-boil or Cold start-making process.
The Instant Pot Yogurt feature is set to keep the temperature between 106F 113F, which helps the good bacteria to thrive perfectly.
Additionally, to that, you do not need any special starter cultures bought for the yogurt to make. All you need is a good quality Greek yogurt with live cultures and a good quality Milk or whipping cream as I have mentioned further below.
Don’t Miss: Brisket In Electric Pressure Cooker
How To Make Instant Pot Yogurt Without Yogurt Button
Step 1: Pour in your 1/2 gallon of milk into the Instant Pot. You will then place the lid on the pressure cooker, and select the Keep Warm button and allow it to sit for 35-45 minutes.
Step 2: At this time place the thermometer in to see the temperature. You want to heat your milk to 180-190 degrees. If you are under that, turn the saute on low.
Step 3: When the milk reaches the 180-190, remove and let it sit to drop down to the 105-115 range of temperature.
Step 4: Remove a cup of the mixture and stir in 4 tablespoons of yogurt. Then slowly add it back into the Instant Pot stirring.
Step 5: Take a towel and place it on your Instant Pot to cover your pot, then place the lid on. The towel will catch condensation on top.
Let the yogurt sit for 8 hours, do not mess with it or open the lid.
Ingredients In Greek Yogurt
- Milk For me, I found the best kind of milk to work with was the Horizon Organic Whole Milk brand, whole milk.
- Yogurt I favored the tangy taste that I got from the Chobani whole milk Greek yogurt. We tried Fage, Dannon, and Chobani starters. Whichever one you decide to use MUST HAVE active live yogurt cultures in the ingredient list. Those little cultures are your starter, and without them, you will not be making yogurt.
- Fruit Pureed fruit can add lots of flavor to greek yogurt. Use your favorite fresh berries or a blend of fresh fruit.
- Granola This optional topping has a nice crunch!
Read Also: How Long Do You Pressure Cook Artichokes
Don’t Miss: Burnt Instant Pot
Which Instant Pots Have A Yogurt Button
Most of the popular Instant Pot models do have a yogurt button. I have an Instant Pot Ultra, which does have a yogurt button.
- Duo Plus
While it is possible to make Instant Pot Yogurt without the yogurt button, it is much easier to make if you do have a yogurt button. The recipe in this post assumes that you DO have the yogurt button.
How To Make Yogurt Without A Yogurt Button
It is a bit harder to make yogurt without a yogurt button on a pressure cooker, but it is possible.
- It is a bit harder, but it is possible.
- Pour milk into the inner pot of pressure cooker.
- Turn on the Sear/Saute function.
- Heat milk to 180°F. Use a thermometer to check the temp often and be sure to stir very often so the milk does not scorch.
- Once the milk reaches 180°F, turn off your pressure cooker.
- Remove the inner pot and cool it to 108 degrees.
- Once your milk has reached 108 stir starter yogurt and whisk until incorporated.
- Put inner pot back in instant pot and place lid on the pressure cooker.
- Wrap in a large towel, or two regular towels and incubate for at least 8 hours or 10 hours.
Instant Pot Keto Cold Start Greek Yogurt
Perfectly easy to make this homemade Instant Pot Keto Cold Start Greek Yogurt is done in no time using your one and only Instant Pot. Soft, rich, creamy extremely tasty, and a big part of our Low Carb living, this gluten-free, diabetic-friendly, and healthy Greek yogurt could be used for cooking, baking, breakfast, dinners, whatever you desire to.
With Instant Pot, you do not ever have to be worried about not boiling it, not cooking it, trying to look for a yogurt starter, or spending endless amounts on the healthiest greek yogurts on the market.
Also Check: How To Convert Slow Cooker Recipe To Instant Pot
Optional Preparation Equipment Sterilization
This is an optional step. We have done this recipe successfully with or without this step.
- Place 2 cups of cold water and a trivet in Instant Pot.
- Place all yogurt making equipment silicone spatula or whisk, Pyrex glass measuring cup, and tablespoon measuring spoon in Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and move the Venting Knob to Sealing Position.
- Sterilize everything at High Pressure for 3 minutes + Natural Release.
- After sterilizing the equipment, air dry them on a clean rack.
*Plastic Tools or Equipment: Do not sterilize any tools or equipment with plastic or wooden handles.
Read Also: Frozen Tamales Costco
Make Frozen Greek Yogurt
Once I had the yogurt I loved, then what else could I do with it? I love fruit in my yogurt, so I whipped up some fruit purees and started adding. Im now experimenting with some no-bake cakes and a few other things.
I decided a great way to use some of my yogurt to make these yogurt pops. And here is the thing, remember, they are frozen. You dont take an ice cube out of the freezer and bite it in half, do you? Take these out of the freezer and let them soften a few minutes before trying to eat. The key is to keep them thin and not make huge pops. The image you see of the pops is a half-filled baking cup. These are on the verge of too thick.
I also learned that the Wilton Silicone Baking Cups are so much better to work with than paper cupcake liners. The paper liners were hard to get off the frozen pop. Once they thawed enough to remove all the paper, then I could just put them in a bowl and eat with a spoon. I made granola for my yogurt pops, but any granola you love will work for this recipe.
Can I Use Goat/almond/coconut Milk To Make Yogurt
I have heard of coconut milk yogurt being successful. But I am not a subject matter expert on non-dairy options. My friend Jennie from Jenuine Home has spent a ton of time creating a non-dairy Instant Pot yogurt recipe that she sells in her Instant Pot Creations ebook. All the recipes are gluten/soy/dairy/refined sugar free and work well for Whole30 or Paleo diets.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Artichokes Time
Expert Tips And Variations
- Make sure to use yogurt with live cultures or it will not work.
- You can use a cheesecloth and a colander for straining the yogurt to thicken it more.
- It is important to make sure yoursilicone ring doesnt have an odor and the Instant Pot is sterilized. Or it will take on odor.
- Dont scrape the bottom of the pressure cooker as some of the warm milk sticks to the bottom of the pot.
When To Strain Yogurt For Greek Yogurt
- It is best to first chill the Instant Pot Greek Yogurt, so that it sets up, undisturbed.
- However, you can strain the Yogurt and chill it at the same time right after incubation, but, you will end up with more Whey.
If you first chill the Yogurt, your yield will be much greater.
A Long Strain Time Will Make Super Thick Yogurt
The above photo shows Yogurt that was strained overnight. All you need is two to three hours is fine to achieve a nice, thick Greek Yogurt.
Are Ultra Pasteurized And Ultra Filtered The Same Or Different
Ultra Pasteurized and Ultra Filtered are not the same. Ultra Filtered milk has been heated to a high temperature to kill bacteria, and then passed through filters to concentrate the protein and remove sugar. Thats why Fairlife milk has less sugar and 50% more protein that conventional milk.
The Costco brand organic, lactose free 2% milk is ultra-pasteurized, which means it was heated to a high temperature to kill the bacteria. Youll notice on both of these options that they stay fresh much longer that regular milk.
Making yogurt the traditional way requires you to basically pasteurize the milk yourself by boiling and cooling it down to a specific temperature. Using this no-boil method, you can skip that part and the straining and get beautiful Instant Pot yogurt!
What Ingredients Did You Use And What Were Your Results
Here are the ingredients I used for each batch:
- Attempt 1: Fairlife Ultra Filtered Whole Milk with Chobani Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt .
- Results: Tart, thick, bright, fresh-tasting yogurt. It was a tinyyyy bit gritty, because I didnt whisk in my starter enough and I eye-balled my starter.
- Attempt 2: Fairlife Ultra Filtered Whole Milk with DHA-Omega 3, 1 Tablespoon of Nancys Organic Probiotic Whole Milk Yogurt, 1 Tablespoon of Chobani Greek Yogurt . We had a yogurt issue at my house, hence the mixing of the yogurt starters. Lastly, one scant can of Kroger Sweetened Condensed Milk .
- Results: SO GOOD. THICK! Perfectly sweet, milky flavor. Not quite Greek Yogurt consistency, but it was definitely thicker than Yoplait.
- Attempt #3: Kirkland/Costco Organic 2% Ultra Pasteurized Lactose Free Milk, 2 tablespoons of the yogurt from Attempt #2 above, one can of sweetened condensed milk
- Results: My favorite combination yet! The Ultra Pasteurized Milk has a little sweeter taste, but the texture is what I loved most. It was so smooth, creamy, and light. Because Fairlife has a lot more protein, I knew it was going to be thicker. But this consistency with the 2% milk was actually my favorite! Ive noticed I need to incubate closer to 11 hours to get the thicker consistency I want with the lower fat/protein milk.
Thick And Creamy Naturally
- Fat free store-bought yogurt uses thickening agents to make it creamy. Not so with homemade Skyr thanks to the addition of rennet, an ingredient you typically see for cheese making. Rennet is used to achieve that thick texture without any weird additives.
- I mean seriously, look at that picture. Again, that is not dessert my friends, that there is breakfast. Shout out to that glossy dreamy Healthy-ier Chocolate Syrup, hey there beautiful.
To Make Greek Yogurt:
After the yogurt is made place cheese cloth over a fine mesh strainer and set it on a large bowl. Pour the yogurt into the strainer and allow it to strain for at least 2 hours or up to 6. . Scoop out the thick Greek yogurt and store in a container in the fridge for 7-10 days.
Whey from the yogurt will drain into the bowl and it can be discarded or saved and used for protein smoothies or shakes.
Can I use skim milk?
Yes! You can make non-fat yogurt in the instant pot using skim milk, but because skim milk is missing the fat that helps thicken the yogurt, add an extra tablespoon of yogurt starter for every quart of milk. So, for 1 gallon of skim milk and 6 tablespoons of yogurt starter.
Troubleshooting: Yogurt is runny and didnt set up.
This can happen if too much starter is added, or if the yogurt has not incubated for long enough. Leave it incubating, checking it every hour. It could also be from adding the starter when the milk was too hot, killing the active cultures.
Add flavors and mix-ins:
One your yogurt has chilled, add flavors, sweeteners or toppings, like:
- Vanilla extract
Tell Me More About Sweetening Instant Pot Yogurt Can I Use Vanilla Extract
I used sweetened condensed milk, which equates to .27 ounces of the sweetener per ounce of yogurt. I think it is pretty comparable to other brands of yogurt. Ive never tried this myself, but many people have said theyve used:
- Coffee creamer such as Bliss Natural coffee creamer
- Coconut creamer
- Drink Syrups
- A bottle of Premier Protein drink
- I also like just eating it plain with honey or berries!
You can always use any sweetener or flavors after it has set, such as vanilla extract or cinnamon.
When I want to make low carb yogurt, I make a sugar free Instant Pot yogurt using monk fruit sweetener. I use the Lakanto brand sugar-free substitute. It tastes the most like real sugar to me, and it works in the yogurt! In order to make it low carb, you need to ensure you use a low-carb milk like Fairlife.
You can add vanilla or other extracts before or after incubating. I have not noticed a difference.
Please note that mixing up yogurt will break down the proteins, making it thinner. So if you decide to mix in some vanilla, I recommend doing it for each serving and not the entire batch unless you dont mind it being thinner.
One of my favorite ways to sweeten yogurt it adding in some pineapple juice or chunks and Cream of Coconut for a pina colada yogurt!
A Few Things To Note:
- Be mindful if you press the adjust button twice, the Instant Pot will adjust to 24:00 hours. . Make sure you get it to the right time setting for your needs.
- The Instant Pot may reset from the Normal function to the Less function! You dont want to incubate on the Less option. Make sure it is on Normal.
- After you set your time, the Instant Pot will start to count up. I like to have the incubation period happen while I sleep. So if I go to bed at 10:00, I will start my yogurt making around 8:00. That gives me time for heating and cooling. It works out wonderful.
When I wake up it is ready to strain. If you like a thinner consistency, you wont need to strain it.
You May Like: Instant Pot Sealing Ring Dishwasher
The Quickest And Easiest Plain Yogurt Recipe
I just cant get over how quick and easy this plain yogurt recipe is!! This is a simple recipe for plain yogurt, but you can easily add any flavor youd like. You can add in flavor components before boiling the milk, or you can just flavor the plain yogurt right before eating. Here are some recipes to try with this instant pot yogurt:
- 64 Fluid Ounces Goat Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Greek Yogurt with Live Active Cultures
How Do I Make Yogurt In My Duo Gourmet Instant Pot
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Beets In Instant Pot
Normal And Less Settings On The Instant Pot
- The Normal function is for incubating yogurt. The timer will start at 8:00 and can be adjusted up or down.
- After adjusting, the time will count up. Make sure the Instant Pot says Normal.
- The Less function on the Instant Pot is used by many people to retard their bread quicker, as it provides a warm environment. When the adjust button is pressed the Instant Pot will display 24:00.
- Dont just use the – to get it back down to 8:00 or 10:00 hours. The Display Screen must say Normal.
My Instant Pot Yogurt Whey Dutch Oven Crusty Bread recipe uses the Less function and is a great way to use your whey, after straining the yogurt.
Cover Yogurt and Place into the Refrigerator