Why Use The Instant Pot
Baked Potatoes are probably one of the worlds best side dishes. And maybe even the most popular.
Potatoes are pretty affordable, and quite filling. You can customize them in so many ways with various toppings. Or make au gratin potatoes!
However, you first have to start with the perfect baked potato.
For years Ive been baking my potatoes in the oven, just like my mom taught me, and her mom taught her. But are they really the easiest side dish when often times they take LONGER than the main dish?
I mean, sure they are EASY, but they can be time consuming.
Until now. Ive recently discovered my love of making potatoes in the Instant Pot.
Not only do they come out creamy and perfect on the inside, but they are done in far less time than it takes in the oven!
How To Set Up Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
First things first not all sweet potatoes are grown equally.
Ideally, you want to make sure all the potatoes youre cooking are roughly the same size. Sometimes I get lazy and just throw them all in, which is fine they still cook.
Just know they will cook at different rates. Youll want to choose your time based on the largest sweet potatoes in the batch, because no one likes undercooked sweet potatoes.
Youll want to keep the rack in the pot. This keeps the potatoes from sitting in the liquid. You want them to steam, but not turn into a mushy mess of watery mashed potatoes. So make sure you keep the rack in there, and arrange the potatoes on it.
You can stack potatoes if they wont fit in a single layer. Youll need to increase cooking time depending on how many layers/potatoes you have, but other than that, everything else remains the same.
Starchy Vegetables In Instant Pot
First, lets talk about starchy vegetables. These are the veggies that will be the most forgiving as they often need a longer time to cook: potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, squash, beets, sweet potatoes. But, not all starches are created equal. Whether you love your meat and potatoes or youre cooking your way through the hardy veg during the fall season, heres how to do it .
Also Check: Frozen Pork In Instant Pot
Is It Better To Steam Or Bake Sweet Potatoes
Ill often overlook sweet potatoes as a side dish since they take so long to cook in the oven. Admittedly, Im not much of a planner, so when Im throwing something together for lunch or dinner, its often last minute.
Thats why these Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes are such a lifesaver. They cook up in just 30 minutes. And I think theyre 10x better than in the oven because their texture just becomes so creamy & delicious in the pressure cooker.
These Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes are perfect for meal prep. Theyll keep in the fridge for up to five days. Use a microwave to reheat and top with your favorite toppings.
Hosting a party? Create a Baked Potato Bar. Its a fun and festive way to feed a crowd, and the topping possibilities are endless. You can cook up to 8 sweet potatoes at once in your Instant Pot.
Whats The Difference Between A Sweet Potato And A Yam
Although sweet potatoes and yams are often used interchangeably, they are, in fact, two different tubers.
A sweet potato is generally orange in color . They are sweeter in taste than yams and the flesh has a shiny, even appearance when cut. They are also more slender in the middle and tapered on both ends, and they have more beta-carotene, iron, protein, and sugar than yams do.
While a yam is a root vegetable that looks kind of tree-barky and textured on the outside. They are starchy and not sweetmore like a white, russet potato than a sweet potato, and not orange on the inside at all. Real yams are harder to find and are not often in conventional grocery stores.
Also Check: Instant Pot C 7
Ready To Make This Easy Instant Pot Pot Roast
Step 1: Sear the RoastStep 2: Prepare the Instant Pot and deglazeStep 3: CookStep 4: Let pressure releaseStep 5: Enjoy!
How long does it take to cook a Roast in an Instant Pot?
It takes approximately 60 to 80 minutes.
Yes, you can. Since pressure cooking cooks meat quicker than in a slow cooker, its safe to do.
Why is my Instant Pot Roast still tough?
Usually if its still tough its because it still needs time to cook.
What is the best roast to use for a pot roast??
Hands down, a chuck roast. It shreds so much better.
How Long To Cook Sweet Potatoes In Instant Pot
The size of your sweet potatoes will determine how long they will need to cook. I suggest getting sweet potatoes that are similar in size so that they all cook evenly. All times are cooked on manual high heat with a 5 minute natural pressure release after cooking time ends.
- Small sweet potatoes cook for 15 minutes.
- Medium sweet potatoes cook for 18 minutes.
- Large sweet potatoes cook for 22 minutes.
Read Also: Instant Pot Says Burn What To Do
Your Instant Pot Potato Cheat Sheet
The size of your potatoes is your guide for how long they should cook in the Instant Pot. Regardless of potato size, when the cook time is up, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Small sweet potatoes : 12 minutes under high pressure
- Medium sweet potatoes : 18 minutes under high pressure
- Large sweet potatoes : 25 minutes under high pressure
Instant Pot Baked Sweet Potatoes
Instant Pot Baked Sweet Potatoes are everything you love about sweet potato casserole wrapped up all in one awesome, single-serving bundle. Cooked in your Instant Pot in half the time, with all the flavor you love.
- 4-6medium-large sweet potatoes -see note
- optional toppings: butter, pecans, cinnamon + sugar
Also Check: How To Defrost Ground Beef In Instant Pot
Top 3 Ways To Serve Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
How can you serve Instant Pot sweet potatoes? Let us count the ways! We created our Thai sweet potatoes recipe especially for the pressure cooker method, and we get lots of messages on and from readers that they love it! Here are our three favorite ideas:
Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes: Mashing
How do you like your mashed potatoes? Dense and creamy or light and fluffy? Im firmly in the light and creamy camp. This means that I whip my potatoes with a handheld mixer instead of mashing them with the traditional potato masher.
Here are the tools you can use for mashing potatoes
Results: Dense, thick mashed potatoes often dotted with small lumps.
Pros: Easy-to-use. Kid-friendly.
link: the potato masher that I use and love.
Ricer/ Food Mill
Results: Creamy, dense mashed potatoes
Pros: Makes mashed potatoes with a silky texture. No lumps here.
Cons: Pain to clean
link: the food mill that I have. Nothing fancy for me.
Note: You dont have to peel potatoes before putting them through a ricer. Ive found this to be somewhat true. Some of the peel always gets through and the holes tend to clog on me. Id rather spend a few minutes peeling the potatoes than futzing with a clogged ricer.
Pros: Whips a batch of potatoes very quickly.
Cons: Dirties a second bowl.
Cons: Turns potatoes into a dense, gluey puree. Avoid the food processor when youre making mashed potatoes.
So which should you use? Whichever one you like. Seriously. They all make great mashed potatoes.
Read Also: Instant Pot Frozen Meat Recipes
How To Serve Sweet Potatoes
1. Simply top it up with butter.
2. Load it up with Sour cream, tomatoes and green onions.
3. Make this cute little sweet potato casserole in orange cups for Thanksgiving.
- Take sweet potatoes. Peel and mash them.
- Add some agave , some milk or heavy cream and some butter. Mix well. Keep it aside.
- Now, Cut the orange in half. Use a sharp knife to cut in a circle around the inside of the orange.
- Scoop out the orange flesh leaving an orange bowl.
- Stuff those orange cups with mashed sweet potatoes.
- Add vegan Marshmallows on top.
- Take all the orange cups into a baking tray.
- Cute little sweet potatoes orange cups with marshmallows are ready.
4. Turn it into mashed sweet potatoes for a healthy Thanksgiving side dish by adding some butter, cinnamon and nutmeg powder.
How To Make Instant Pot Steak And Potatoes With Gravy
First things first, lets prep the meat.
I bought pre-cut stew meat from my grocery store. The stew meat is sirloin chunks. You could even cut your own steak into bite sized pieces.
The meat is going to marinade before we pop it into the Instant Pot. The marinade really helps to make the meat tender as well as give it a nice flavor.
The marinade consists of soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce , oil, garlic, onion and parsley.
Let the meat sit in the marinade for as long as you can. The longer the better.
Ive gotten away with only marinating for an hour before but the the night before or morning of works great!
I like to put my meat and the marinade into a ziplock bag. I always press all of the air out of the bag so the meat really soaks up all of that marinade.
So, refrigerate the meat soaking up all of that delicious marinade for as long as you can, up to 24 hours.
When you are ready to make dinner, first brown the meat in the Instant Pot on the saute setting. The saute setting acts just like your stove top.
A lot of people dont know this, but you can actually adjust the temperature on the Instant Pot while using the saute setting! Each model adjusts a little differently, on the 6 qt duo if you hit the adjust button right after the Saute button it will toggle between the 3 different temperature settings.
While the meat is browning, peel and cut your potatoes.
After the meat has been browned for a few minutes, remove the meat from the Instant Pot.
Recommended Reading: Spiral Ham Instant Pot
Hungry For More Instant Pot Recipes
- You can stack the sweet potatoes in Instant pot but careful. Dont overcrowd the pot.
- Make sure the sweet potatoes dont stay in the water, they will get mushy.Cooking time will vary depending on size.
- Make sure to poke holes in the sweet potatoes with a fork before cooking to let the steam escape during cooking and prevent bursting.
- If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container. They will stay good for up to 5 days. Simply reheat in microwave before serving.
- Red Garnet and Jewel Works perfectly. It is moist, and It has a fluffy and creamy texture.
- Try to get sweet potatoes that are all about the same size.
How To Serve Sweet Potatoes:
There are tons of options when it comes to serving sweet potatoes. I mix it up between healthier options, and then sometimes splurge a little.
- Add a bit of brown sugar, butter, and maple syrup to the top of a sweet potato for a dessert-like treat.
- Italian stuffed sweet potatoesare covered in delicious marinara and cheese! YUM!
Love the Instant Pot as much as I do? Checkout these awesome recipes!
Make sure you dont miss a thing! Follow Domestic Superhero on:
Also Check: Beet Greens Instant Pot
Yukon Gold Potatoes Russet Potatoes And Red Potatoes
There are thousands of varieties of potatoes and Im sure this method will work with any type. I often cook with three varieties of potatoes: Yukon gold, red, and russet. Ive tested this recipe with these three varieties. For Indian cooking, I typically use gold or red potatoes.
Yukon Gold Potatoes: Yukon gold potatoes are a good all-purpose potato. They are a bit waxy and also a bit starchy . They are thin-skinned, creamy, and have a slight sweetness to them.
- When to use: Great all-purpose potato that you can use in nearly any recipe. They are great for mashing, roasting, baking, frying.
Red Potatoes: these waxy potatoes are typically smaller than other varieties, though they can vary in size as well. Like gold potatoes, they are also thin-skinned.
- When to use: Great all-purpose potato. These potatoes hold their shape well which is good when you dont want the flesh to fall apart in a recipe, for example when making potato salad, hash browns, scalloped potatoes, or when adding to a soup/stew.
- When not to use: dont suggest using this variety when making mashed potatoes as they can be a bit gluey.
Russet Potatoes: Russets, also known as baking potatoes, are starchy and a bit drier than red or gold potatoes. They are thicker-skinned than red and gold potatoes and so if Im using them in a recipe, Ill usually peel the skin.
How To Cook Sweet Potatoes In A Pressure Cooker
Cooking sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot couldn’t be easier. You need just two ingredients—whole sweet potatoes and water. That’s it.
Here are the steps:
Don’t Miss: Why Does My Instapot Say Food Burn
What About Baked Potatoes
If youre using russet potatoes you can cook them the same way! You can also cook a combination of potatoes.
Ive created an easy Instant Pot Baked Potatoes recipe with all the timing details you need!
I have a couple of kids who prefer regular potatoes instead of sweet potatoes. In this case, I put a few sweet potatoes and a few russet potatoes in the Instant Pot for dinner.
Just make sure to try to choose potatoes that are the same size for even cooking!
Key Tips For Instant Pot Baked Sweet Potatoes
The process of baking sweet potatoes in the pressure cooker is SUPER simple, but there are a few key tips to keep in mind!
- Select sweet potatoes that are similar in size. This way they will pressure cook in the same amount of time.
- Pierce sweet potatoes several times before cooking–this will prevent the rare occurrence of a sweet potato bursting in the Instant Pot.
- Always add cold water to the inner pot. You will need 1 cup of cold water for a 3 or 6-quart Instant pot and 1.5 cups of cold water for an 8-quart Instant pot. NEVER use warm water as this will change the amount of time it takes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure, which will change the cooking time!
- Always use the trivet to keep the sweet potatoes from sitting in the water–this will keep the sweet potatoes from becoming soggy.
You May Like: Rice In Instant Pot Rice Button
How Long To Cook Sweet Potatoes In An Instant Pot
The pressure cooking time depends on the size of your sweet potatoes. I have tested many, many sweet potatoes of different sizes to determine these cook times. I recommend cooking potatoes that are similar in size so that they will cook in the same amount of time. To determine the size of your sweet potatoes, measure the width of the potato at the thickest part.
- Small Sweet Potatoes : 18 minutes at high pressure plus 10 minutes natural pressure release
- Medium Sweet Potatoes : 24 minutes at high pressure plus 10 minutes natural pressure release
- Large Sweet Potatoes : 30 minutes at high pressure plus 10 minutes natural pressure release
- Very Large Sweet Potatoes : 35 or more minutes at high pressure plus 10 minutes natural pressure release
If youre not sure about the cook time for the exact size of your sweet potatoes, I would err on the side of adding an extra minute or two to the cook time. Id rather end up with softer sweet potatoes than under-cooked potatoes and having to do a second pressure cooking cycle.
Tips For Making The Best Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
1. Start with similarly-sized potatoes. To guarantee that the potatoes are all evenly cooked, its essential to start with sweet potatoes that are all about the same size.
2. Add a trivet and water to the Instant Pot. Youll start by adding one cup of water to the bottom of the Instant Pot, which is what creates the steam that cooks the potatoes. Just as important is a trivet or steamer basket, which keeps the potatoes elevated above the water.
3. Use potato size to determine cook time. You can cook any and all sizes of sweet potatoes in your Instant Pot. To get the tender, creamy potatoes you crave, plan on a shorter cook time for small spuds and a longer one for the larger ones .
Read Also: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
For Simple Instant Pot Steamed Asparagus Stalks:
- Trim off the woody bottom ends of the asparagus as these dont cook up nicely. Wash the veggies.
- Place the asparagus into a steamer basket or trivet, then place the basket into the pot with one cup of water.
- Drizzle asparagus with olive oil or add butter, season if youd like.
- For tender, firm results: Cook on HIGH pressure for 0 minutes and perform a quick pressure release.
- For softer results: Cook on HIGH pressure for 1-2 minutes and perform a quick release.
- If you have thicker stalks: Add 1-2 minutes to each cooking time.
- If you have thin, stringy stalks: Cook on LOW pressure for 1 minute.