How To Make Flavored Mashed Potatoes
This Instant Pot Mashed Potato recipe is a perfect side for any meat and gravy meal.
However, you can still serve mashed potatoes even if your main dish doesnt have gravy!
For garlic mashed potatoes, place a clove or two of minced garlic on top of the potatoes before steaming? Or just infuse the flavor by placing several smashed cloves of garlic in the water below the steamer basket.
To complement a chicken dish, use chicken or turkey broth below the potatoes or in place of some or all of the milk.
If you want your potatoes to cook up extra rich and creamy, replace the milk with heavy cream. Or add 1 cup ricotta cheese or cream cheese to your potatoes.
In my cookbook, I also have recipes for Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes , Twice Baked Potatoes , and Loaded Baked Potatoes .
More Mashed Potato Favorites
- Fill Instant Pot pot with 1 inch of water in the bottom, maximum 1 ½ cups water.
- Peel and chop the russet potatoes.
- Place potatoes in Instant Pot.
- Add salt, put the lid on top of the Instant Pot, and turn to close the lid.
- Set the valve to sealing.
- Press the MANUAL button. Press the +/- button to set to 12 minutes.
- Let the IP do its job. It will take a little while for the Instant Pot to come to pressure. At which time it will start counting down.
- When it counts to zero, it should beep. At this time, turn the valve/ vent to Venting. Immediately turn the steam release handle back to the Sealing position at the first sign of spattering. Quick Release should ALWAYS be closely attended.
- Once the pressure cooker has vented, open it, and add the milk and butter, as well as salt and pepper to taste.
- Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes right in the pot.
Why do people love the Instant Pot so much?
Speed. The Instant Pot is about cooking food faster than it would be using other methods.
Thats the power of pressure. Its ability to increase the boiling point of water, cooking food faster.
Think of anything you boil. Would it be better to do in the Instant Pot? Lets explore one food today that is often boiled potatoes. And why are they boiled? Well for mashed potatoes of course.
How Many Potatoes Can I Pressure Cook At One Time
This recipe as written is for about 2 pounds of potatoes, which is about six side-dish servings.
However, around 5 pounds of potatoes can generally fit in a 6-quart pressure cooker.
Whether you use 2 pounds or 5 pounds, the cook time remains the same. Just make sure the potatoes are diced uniformly fit and are below the max fill line in your pressure cooker.
If youre cooking the maximum amount of potatoes, youll want to be careful that no foaming or spitting comes out of the release valve. If this happens, close the switch for a few seconds and open it again in an intermittent pressure release.
If youre using an 8-quart pressure cooker, you can fit 7 to 8 pounds of potatoes. Also, with this larger size, be sure to use 2 cups of water below the steamer basket.
Also Check: Proofing Pizza Dough In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe Ingredients
Heres what youll need to make this Instant Pot mashed potatoes recipe:
- Potatoes, of course! I recommend using Yukon Gold potatoes, or a similar variety of yellow potatoes, for this recipe. They give the mash a pretty golden color, a rich buttery flavor, and a delicious creamy texture.
- Water Youll use it to cook the potatoes in the Instant Pot. Then, in lieu of sour cream or cream cheese, youll mix some of that starchy, salty cooking water into the mashed potatoes to create their light, smooth texture.
- Garlic It adds a subtle savory bite.
- Extra-virgin olive oil and butter They make the potatoes flavorful, buttery, and rich. Find a vegan option in the recipe below!
- Chives For a fresh, oniony garnish.
- And sea salt and freshly ground black pepper To make all the flavors pop!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Variations
- Cream Cheese Potatoes: Add 3 ounces of cream cheese to the recipe
- Cheddar Bacon Potatoes: Add 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup cooked, crumbled bacon
- Roasted Garlic Potatoes: Add 1/4 cup roasted garlic cloves, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup parsley
- Bacon Ranch Potatoes: Add 2 tablespoons ranch powder, 1/2 cup cooked crumbled bacon and 3/4 cup shredded cheese
You May Like: Food Burn Warning Instant Pot
How To Make The Best Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Why Did My Mashed Potatoes Turn Out Gummy
It’s an all-too-common problem: gummy mashed potatoes. This happens when the starches in the potatoes become overworked during the mashing process. It’s also important to make sure the potatoes are drained well and are as dry as possible before mashing. To completely avoid any possibility that your potatoes will turn out gluey, many people are devoted to using a ricer to guarantee fluffy mashed potatoes.
You May Like: Instant Pot Tamales Steam
How To Make Mashed Potatoes In The Instant Pot
This recipe is so easy to make! Heres how it goes:
First, prep the potatoes. Scrub them, peel them, and cut them into large chunks. Aim to cut the potatoes to roughly the same size so that they cook evenly in the Instant Pot.
Pile the chopped potatoes into the Instant Pot
pour in water to cover, and stir in 2 teaspoons of salt.
Then, cook! Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and set the steam release handle or switch to the sealing position. Pressure cook on High Pressure for 12 minutes. Quick release the pressure and remove the lid.
Important: Make sure to reserve 3/4 cup of the cooking water before you drain the potatoes!
Drain the potatoes
return them to the pot, and mash! Add the garlic, olive oil, butter, and remaining salt and continue mashing to fully incorporate them with the potatoes.
Finally, add the cooking water. Fold in 1/4 cup at a time until the mash is smooth and creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve!
How Long Does It Take To Cook The Potatoes In A Pressure Cooker
It actually doesnt take very long to cook potatoes in the pressure cooker. Now, for mashed potatoes in instant pot, I only set the timer for only 6 minutes so they are soft enough to mash.
Now if you want your potatoes a bit firmer for a chunkier mashed potatoes I would set the timer for only 4 minutes. Either way you are going to have amazing potatoes.
Also Check: How To Cook Soaked Beans In Instant Pot
You May Like: Pork Loin Frozen Instant Pot
Best Way To Store And Use Instant Pot Potatoes
If youre storing your cooked taters for later use, be sure to bring them to room temperature. Then, store them in a zip-top bag or airtight container, making sure to squeeze as much air as possible. They will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
Potatoes dont love the freezer, since they lose moisture there. But, if you toss them in some butter or oil, they will retain their texture. Its best to defrost them in the fridge for a day before reheating.
Pre-cooked potatoes can be reheated in the microwave, crisped in the air fryer, or roasted in the oven. They can be used cold in potato salads or reheated and mashed with butter and milk/stock to make mashed potatoes.
Tools For Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes:
You never want your mashed potatoes to be either too mushy/runny or too pasty/dry. This is why pressure cooker mashed potatoes are so awesome over the regular boiling method. The high pressure is able to cook the potatoes evenly. So, you can easily achieve great texture and a richer taste.
Read Also: Cooking Tamales In Instant Pot
Instant Pot 5 Pounds Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Ever since publishing our recipe on how to make light and fluffy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes, we have received requests for the best way to make no-drain, large batch mashed potatoes.
With the holidays just a few weeks away it is the perfect time to share this recipe. Many people need to make more than a family size portion of mashed potatoes. And this is the quickest and easiest way to do it.
So today, we are sharing our recipe for 5 pounds of mashed potatoes that we cook in the 6 quart Instant Pot. And best of all, there is no need to drain the potatoes after they have been cooked!
And yes, you can double this recipe if you have a 8 quart Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi.
Can You Use The Instant Pot To Keep Mashed Potatoes Warm
Yes! After mashing the potatoes, wash the pressure cooker insert. This removes the starch that clings to the pot from cooking the potatoes. Generously butter the bottom and sides of the pot, add a splash of heavy cream to the bottom of the pot, place the mashed potatoes into the pot, and turn on the keep warm setting. Stir the potatoes occasionally to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pot. If you have a glass lid for your pressure cooker, this is a good time to use it. If not, be sure the valve on the lid remains in the venting position.
When ready to serve, transfer the potatoes to a serving dish and top with a pat of butter and some chopped chives. Then get ready to hear your friends and family ooh and aah over your perfect mashed potatoes. The secret to how easy they were to make is safe with me.
Recommended Reading: Milk In Instant Pot
A Ricer Is Your Friend
In the past, I have talked about potato ricers on this blog. They are your friend. By taking the time to put your potatoes through a ricer you break them down and keep them from getting gummy we arent making bears!
If you dont have that is fine. Just dont work the potatoes too much. You can whip them quickly with a hand mixer if you want. The ricer also helps remove the skins if your not a fan of peeling potatoes.
Reasons To Love These Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
There are so many! Here are the ones that make me jump up and down:
- You can use russet potatoes or yukon potatoes .
- You can peel your potatoes, or leave the peels.
- Its ready to go in 30 minutes with very little fuss.
- It has amazing garlic herb flavor.
- But also, you can pick the herbs you like, and you can decide how much garlic, and basically its a choose your own adventure.
Also Check: Instant Pot Ip-duo60 Recall
Tips For The Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Making mashed potatoes has never been quicker or easier than these Instant Pot mashed potatoes. Here are a few tips to make these mashed potatoes even better:
- You can add 1 or 2 teaspoons of garlic powder to your mashed potatoes for an extra bit of flavor.
- If your potatoes look too watery after cooking in the Instant Pot, drain a few tablespoons of the liquid.
- Do we have to peel the potatoes? We found that keeping the potatoes skin on adds texture to the dish. But feel free to peel them!
How To Thaw Frozen Mashed Potatoes Without Drying Them Out
The pressure cooker of course! The moist environment is perfect for reheating potatoes.
Recommended Reading: Frozen Tamales In Crock Pot
What Is The Best Potato For Mashed Potatoes In The Instant Pot
Ive had success with many types of potatoes:
- Russet potatoes
- Yukon potatoes
- Red potatoes
Besides some variations in taste and texture, the timing will be adjusted slightly for each type. Russet potatoes need a bit more time because they are larger, and red and yukon potatoes dont need quite as long because theyre smaller.
Russet potatoes are the standard potatoes used for mashed potatoes but I love Yukon potatoes as well.
What To Serve With Mashed Potatoes
- Classic Meatloaf Meatloaf and mashed potatoes is a classic that we serve again and again throughout the cooler months.
- Slow Cooker Mississippi Roast This tender, flavorful pot roast cooks all day in the slow cooker and creates its own gravy as it cooks perfect for serving over mashed potatoes.
- Crispy Baked Cornflake Chicken This crowd-pleasing, healthier take on fried chicken is super crunchy and is a great counterpoint to creamy mashed potatoes.
Recommended Reading: Frozen Tenderloin Instant Pot
Tips For Making The Perfect Mashed Potatoes
- Use the Right Kind of Potato.
- Most people will say Yukon OR Russet. I say both! My mom and I have often debated that I think Yukon are better because theyre so creamy, my mom says Russet are more fluffy. Guess what!? Put them together and you have the ultimate bundle of fluffy and creamy! I seriously feel like Ive struck gold here
How To Make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes:
Cut potatoes into quarters and place in the bottom of the instant pot.
Pressure Cook: Add water and salt and secure lid to the pot. Cook on manual/high pressure for 10 minutes. Allow pressure to naturally release for 3-5 minutes and then quick release the remaining pressure.
Drain water and season potatoes: open instant pot lid and pour out any extra water. Add milk, sour cream, butter, bouillon paste, and salt and pepper.
Mash everything until combined, but be careful not to over mash the potatoes, which leads to gummy mashed potatoes instead of fluffy mashed potatoes.
Taste and add more seasonings, as needed.
Store leftover mashed potatoes in the refrigerator for up to five days.
You May Like: Convert Instant Pot Recipe To Oven
How To Make Mashed Potatoes In An Instant Pot
Quick tip: Don’t overwork your potatoes in the mashing process or they could turn gummy. Mash them just enough to get a smooth, creamy final product.
Reheating And Storing Mashed Potatoes
You can make a big pot of mashed potatoes ahead of time and store them in an airtight container, but expect them to have a slightly different flavor and be less fluffy when reheated.
If leftover mashed potatoes are too dry, try adding a splash of milk and a pat of butter to moisten them. “Mine never last long enough to go beyond one day,” says Lo, but leftover or made-ahead mashed potatoes should last around two to three days in the fridge.
Also Check: Can You Cook Frozen Beef In Instant Pot