How Long To Cook A Whole Chicken In The Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- Cook a fresh chicken for 6 minutes per pound. This means that a 4 pound chicken will take 24 minutes to cook, a 4.5 pound chicken will take 27 minutes, and a 5 pound bird will take 30 minutes, at high pressure.
- Follow the cook time with a 15 minute natural release. This means just leave your Instant Pot alone for 15 minutes and then quick release any remaining pressure by turning the steam release valve to the venting position before opening the lid.
- Always use an instant read thermometer to check that your chicken has reached a safe internal temperature of at least 165 degrees F. You want to insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the leg, not touching the bone. Using the Instant Pot to cook a whole chicken is pretty foolproof, and mine has always been perfectly cooked and juicy after pressure cooking for 6 minutes per pound.
How To Cook Whole Chicken In Instant Pot
1)Add paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, ginger, thyme, bouillion and salt in a bowl and mix well. Divide into 2.
2) Remove giblets from the chicken. Pat the chicken dry.
3) Rub half of the spice mix all over and inside the chicken making sure all parts are covered. Stuff chicken cavity with onion and tie the legs together.
4) Add a cup of water in the inner pot of the instant pot and place in the trivet.
5) Place the marinated chicken in the instant pot then cover instant pot.
6) Move valve into sealing then set instant pot to manual pressure cook 30 minutes followed by 5 minutes natural pressure release.
7) Open instant pot and bring out the chicken then place on oven tray.
8) Add olive oil in the remaining spice mix and brush all over the chicken then bake or grill in the oven at 220C for 10 – 15 minutes. If you have the broil function, broil for crispy skin.
9) Bring out of the oven, leave to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
INSTANT POT WHOLE CHICKEN VARIATION
To broil you can rub with simple chicken marinade, buffalo sauce, barbeque sauce or any sauce of your preference. It’s versatile and the possibilities of flavour combination for this instant pot chicken are endless.
What Are The Benefits Of A Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken
- You have a whole chicken ready in less than 30 minutes , which is just fantastic for a quick weeknight meal
- The whole chicken is really very moist and infused with the most beautiful delicate flavors
- Keep the bones and you have about 8 cups of homemade chicken broth at your hands with very little effort
- You can use the shredded chicken in any number of other meals during the week
- Not able to use all the chicken within a couple of days? Shred and freeze in smaller amounts and just pull some out when you need it!
I hope you love this easy and nourishing meal as much as my family and I do. If you are looking for something to pair it with then check out these sides:
If you don’t have a pressure cooker yet then check out the Instant Pot. I have had mine for about a year now and seriously use it every single day.
Read Also: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Cooking Tips For The Best Instant Pot Roast Chicken
- Use a dry rub to season the chicken before cooking, and try to get some of the rub under the skin on the chicken breasts. The spice rub in this whole chicken recipe is a simple blend of seasonings and it is so good! My kids cannot get enough of it! You can easily use your favorite seasonings if you prefer.
- Sear the chicken before pressure cooking. You can do this right in your Instant Pot using sauté mode! Browning the chicken adds so much flavor!
- The easiest way to flip the chicken. Turning the chicken over in the Instant Pot after browning it on the first side can be a little tricky. Heres what Ive found works best: stick a long handled spoon or tongs into the cavity and then use another long spoon to turn the chicken first onto its side and then flip it over. The smaller your chicken, the easier it will be to flip over in the pot. The chicken in the photos in this post was 5.5 pounds and it just barely fit in my Instant Pot. Flipping it was not easy but I got it done!
- Flavor from the inside out. After searing the chicken, fill the cavity with half of a fresh lemon, half an onion, and fresh herbs such as rosemary or thyme. While this is optional, it will infuse your chicken with extra flavor as it cooks!
- Broil for crispy skin. You can put your chicken under the broiler in your oven for 4-5 minutes after it is done cooking to crisp up the skin. Honestly, I dont bother with this because we dont eat the skin but it is up to you!
Pressure Cook At High Pressure 0 Minute
Yes! You can pressure cook at 0 minute!
Were setting the pressure cooking time to 0 minute because were using the heat generated during the up to pressure AND depressurizing stages to cook the chicken breast.
Every time, make sure you measure the chickens internal temperature with an accurate Food Thermometer, and the thickest part needs to reach at least 165Â°F after resting.
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Says Burn What To Do
You May Like: How Long To Cook Pre Cooked Ribs In Instant Pot
One: Make Sure Your Chicken Fits
Don’t laugh! If your chicken is larger than your pressure cooker you will be cursing up a storm you can’t make Instant Pot Roasted chicken–if your chicken does not fit into your pressure cooker just use my oven-roasted chicken recipe.
I have a 6 quart Instant Pot and I have made as large as a 5 ½ pound whole chicken. And this is the time when you can refer to Max fill line on your instant pot. If you remember, in my Instant Pot 101, I told you not to fill more than & frac23 full when pressure cooking–this is the exception to that rule .
How Long To Cook Frozen Whole Chicken
The time it takes to cook a whole frozen bird in the Instant Pot depends on its weight, according to Yule.
But a good rule of thumb is to cook a frozen whole chicken for 10 minutes per pound. For example, a 4-pound frozen chicken will take 40 minutes in the Instant Pot on high pressure.
Allow for natural pressure release once cooking is done dont turn the steam release valve.
Recommended Reading: How Long Do You Cook Ribs In A Pressure Cooker
Tips For Cooking Chicken In The Instant Pot
- In order for the 6 quart Instant Pot to work, it needs a minimum of 1 cup of liquid. If you have an 8 quart Instant Pot, it needs at least 1 1/2 cups of liquid.
- Because chicken breast is so easy to overcook, we always use the quick release method. Quick release is when you turn the pressure release valve to open or venting at the completion of the cooking cycle. This forces the steam to release from the Instant Pot quickly.
- Do not stack chicken when cooking in the Instant Pot. It will cook unevenly. This is especially true for frozen chicken. Try to spread it out evenly along the bottom as much as you can.
- Use a meat thermometer like the one we recommend here to determine doneness. All poultry must cook to the safe temperature of 165°F internally . But, you dont want to cook it longer than that and get dried out.
- If cooking chicken from frozen, make sure to read our post about how to prepare and cook freezer meals in the Instant Pot. Seriously, dont skip it.
- If you have more questions about the Instant Pot, swing by and browse Instant Pot 101.
Instant Pot Whole Chicken In The Duo Crisp
With the Instant Pot Duo Crisp or a Ninja Foodi, you get the best of both worlds because you can pressure cook and broil or air fry in the same pot. So, while most Instant Pot whole chicken recipes will have you either saute your chicken first or put it under the broiler after cooking, you can do it all in one device with the Duo Crisp. This is key because normally an Instant Pot rotisserie chicken recipe will not really have that crispy skin that you want unless you broil it in the oven.
The result of using the Duo Crisp is that you really do get that truly wonderful crispy skin that you can only get from making an air fryer whole chicken.
Can Raw Chicken Keep In The Fridge For 5 Days
Raw chicken will keep for 1 to 2 days in the refrigerator, cooked chicken 3 to 4 days. To determine if the chicken has gone bad, check the best before date and look for signs of spoilage, such as changes in smell, texture and color. Avoid eating rotten chicken as it can cause food poisoning even if cooked properly.
Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken
This Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken is juicy, tender, flavorful and very easy to make. This delicious rotisserie style Instant Pot Whole Chicken cooks in less than 30 minutes making it the perfect instant pot recipe for a weeknight meal.
Try some of our most popular Instant pot chicken recipes like this Instant Pot Shredded Chicken, Instant Pot BBQ Chicken and Instant Pot Chicken Wings.
This Pressure Cooker Rotisserie Chicken is one of those easy Instant Pot recipes I make over and over again. Although I love roasting chicken in the oven, when Im short on time, I always go back to this easy chicken recipe.
This Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken is seasoned to perfection with a spice mix made with simple pantry ingredients. Quickly seared in the Instant Pot until crispy and golden brown and cooked until juicy and super tender. This is the absolute best rotisserie chicken ever!
Read Also: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
Super Moist Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken
You just have to add this Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken recipe to your weekly repertoire. Seriously! If you have ever wondered just how to cook a whole chicken in an electric pressure cooker then you have come to the right place. We use an Instant Pot to pressure cook the whole chicken here, but any commercial electric pressure cooker will work. Leaving you with you most intense flavored chicken which can be added to any number of meals during the week. Meal prepping just got a lot quicker!
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that Ive linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust.
And don’t worry, you still get that nice crispy skin on the outside, and super moist white and dark meat on the inside.
Video Result For How Long To Cook A 35 Lb Chicken
Betty’s Oven Roast Chicken
How to Cook Roast Chicken | Baked Chicken Recipe |…
Cooking a Whole Chicken in the Oven
Curtis Stone 3 3.5 lb. Boneless Pork Roast
Roast Chicken – The Basics
Roast Chicken Recipe – How to Cook a Whole Chicken
How to Tie, Cook, and Carve a Whole Chicken
3.5 lbs Pork Loin x new ROTOQ 360 x Weber Grill -…
3.5 lb Dog Eating Chicken Bones
Also Check: How To Clean An Instant Pot
How To Cook A Whole Chicken In An Instant Pot
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
How to cook a whole chicken in an Instant Pot. This rotisserie-style Instant Pot whole chicken recipe is easy to make, even if you are a beginner with using your pressure cooker. Its perfect for Sunday dinner or to make ahead for quick meals throughout the week! Cook from fresh or frozen.
Out of all of the recipes that Ive cooked in my Instant Pot, this whole roast chicken might be my favorite. Its become a part of my weekly routine to make an Instant Pot whole chicken for dinner. Then I use the leftover chicken to make the best quick meals throughout the week! You can use your leftover chicken in salads, pastas, casseroles or sandwiches.
Cooking a whole chicken in the Instant Pot is fast, simple and budget-friendly. Instead of buying a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken at the store, you can make this Instant Pot whole chicken recipe with just minutes of prep time. Your homemade chicken will taste so much better than store-bought, and you can control the ingredients that you use.
This pressure cooker chicken recipe makes the best tender, moist and juicy chicken. Cooking the whole bird gives you both white and dark meat, so everyone in the family can have what they enjoy. Just wait until you try the homemade rotisserie rub in this recipe it is the best!
Can You Put Frozen Meat In Instant Pot
You can safely cook frozen meat in an Instant Pot because pressure cooking cooks foods quickly. Unlike a slow cooker, in which frozen food may stay in a dangerous temperature range for too long, the Instant Pot can quickly bring frozen food to a safe temperature.
You May Like: Can You Thaw Meat In An Instant Pot
Is Pressure Cooked Chicken Healthy
The point is, science shows that pressure cooking is healthy because it can contain more heat-sensitive nutrients than any other cooking method because of its shorter cooking times. The point is that the difference in boiling point of water is well within the range of a normal difference on this planet.
How Long Does It Take To Cook A Whole Chicken In The Instant Pot
Thanks to the Miracle Pot , you can enjoy fall-off-the-bone-tender chicken with only 20-30 minutes of pressure cooking. Amazing isnt it!?
Yesss! Instant Pot Whole Chicken is pretty fabulous!
The length of cooking time for whole chickens will vary based on size of your chicken. The rule of thumb for whole chicken in the Instant Pot is that each pound of chicken requires 6 minutes of pressure cooking. And therefore, for each half-pound of chicken you need 3 minutes of pressure cooking.
Heres a quick reference for you when figuring out cook times
Don’t Miss: How To Defrost Ground Beef In Instant Pot
How To Achieve Crispy Skin
When cooking whole chickens in the pressure cooker, the chicken skin will not have a chance to crisp up. For me, that is not a problem because I remove the skin before eating the chicken or use it in recipes that call for pre-cooked chicken. BUT if you would like crispy skin on this chicken, you can either opt to broil your chicken or use an air fryer lid to crisp up the skin.
- Broiling Option: Cook the chicken as directed in your pressure cooker. After removing the chicken from your instant pot, transfer it to a baking sheet. Brush with oil and place under broiler for 2-4 minutes, watching closely as to not burn the chicken.
- Air Fryer Lid Option: After pressure cooking, use an air fryer lid on your pressure cooker to crisp up the skin. Set to 400 degrees and air fry for 3-4 minutes or until the skin is crispy.
How Do You Cook A Whole Chicken In A Frying Pan
How to cook a whole chicken in a frying pan Rub the chicken with oil and spices. Brown the chicken on both sides. Fill the cavity with fresh lemon, onion and herbs . Pour 1 cup of water and put in the kettle. Boil chicken under pressure, 6 minutes per. Pound. Of course, release the pressure for 15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
You May Like: Burn Indicator On Instant Pot
Can You Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot
While this tutorial focuses on cooking fresh chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, you can easily achieve the same results with frozen chicken breasts using this technique. Just make sure to add 5 additional minutes of cooking time when using frozen chicken breasts. And be sure the breasts are separated before cooking. For more details, learn step-by-step how to cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot.
If You Make This Recipe Please Share A Link To The Recipe Online And Tag Me I Love To See What You Are Cooking Up In Your Kitchen
Brittany Williams has taken the weight loss world by storm with her best-selling Instant Loss Cookbook. After reaching a peak weight of 260 pounds and spending a lifetime struggling with obesity, yo-yo dieting, autoimmune diseases, and chronic fatigue, Brittany changed her relationship with food and lost an astonishing 125 pounds in a year through diet alone.
Brittanyâs latest book, Instant Loss Eat Real, Lose Weight shows how to make this a sustainable lifestyle with kid and family-friendly mealsâfrom Strawberry Shortcake Oatmeal to Cowboy Chili to Easy 2-Minute Pork Chops. Members of her growing community have reported losing 50 and even 100 pounds themselves! This cookbook will help others achieve similar success with simple, delicious meals, nearly all ready in 30 minutes or less.
Read Also: Can You Cook Tamales In A Pressure Cooker