How To Steam Instant Pot Vegetables
We used a metal steam basket but you can also use an ovenproof dish that fits inside the Instant Pot. Separating the vegetables from the water prevents the nutrients from escaping into the liquid. This is not a problem if youre making soups or braising vegetables, because you end up consuming the liquid. But when you boil vegetables, you discard the cooking liquid.
The main rule for steaming any kind of vegetable is TO NOT OVERCOOK it. Soggy, over-soft Brussels sprouts and mashy carrots are not how nature intended these vegetables to be eaten. Cooking them just enough will retain some crunch for texture and their vibrant colour.
When pressure cooking, you have to experiment with the timings for how long you need for different vegetables and quantities. Using the STEAM button will set your Instant Pot to 10 minutes at HIGH Pressure, which is WAY too long for steaming say Brussel sprouts or carrots.
There is a handy chart for cooking vegetables on the official Instant Pot website, but we think some of those times could be even lower. The point is, you have to experiment with the times to see what readiness works for you. We prefer veggies on the crunchier side, and thats how you would have them served to you in a good restaurant.
Also Check: Burn In Instant Pot
Cooking Broccoli In An Instant Pot
Can I Steam Vegetables In An Instant Pot Without A Steamer Basket
If you are planning to steam vegetables in the Instant Pot regularly, I highly recommend purchasing a steamer basket. But if you want to try and see if steaming in Instant Pot is for you, you can still make steamed vegetables in the Instant Pot without it.
As far as I know, all Instant Pot models are sold with a metal trivet. So, you can use the trivet to elevate the vegetables above the water. I recommend placing large slices of firm vegetables such as carrots or cauliflower over the trivet and then place the rest of the vegetables on top of it.
The large pieces should prevent the smaller pieces from dropping to the bottom of the cooking pot.
You May Like: How To Get Smell Out Of Instant Pot Ring
Broccoli Recipes: 10 Ways To Soup Up Those Stalks
By: Erin Coleman,B.S. – Nutritional Science, R.D., L.D.,
Writer at The Fit Father Project
Are you just steaming your broccoli? From flavorful florets to succulent stalks, our healthy broccoli recipes will blow your mind!
Broccoli offers numerous health and wellness benefits, is an excellent source of vitamin C, and contains iron, calcium, potassium, and vitamin A.
- Calories: 30
- Fat: 0 grams
Because broccoli is a rich source of fiber, it enhances heart health by keeping blood cholesterol levels in check.
It can also reduce your risk of cancer, obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and other chronic conditions.
Broccoli also gives you a boost of energy, helps meet your body’s daily micronutrient needs, and aids in healthy weight management.
Check out these nutritious broccoli recipes that are packed with nutrient-dense ingredients and are exceptional for your health!
What Is Zero Minutes
Weve been doing this for years with stove top pressure cookers, we just didnt need a timer. Electric pressure cookers have timers, so you need to set it to 0 minutes.
Zero minutes still cooks the broccoli. As the pot is heating up and coming to pressure, the broccoli is cooking that entire time.
So as soon as the pot reaches full pressure, the broccoli is cooked and you need to release the pressure immediately so it doesnt overcook.
Using the Instant PotÂ® as a steamer is very convenient. You can set it and when the pot beeps that it is finished, just release the pressure and eat it!
I have used a steamer in a pot on the stove my whole adult life, and it works fine, but steaming broccoli in the pressure cooker is just simpler, in my opinion.
Instant Pot Broccoli cooks really fast. So as soon as the pot comes to full pressure, its done! It only needs that very small amount of time to cook as under pressure food cooks more quickly.
Other vegetables that I like to cook in my Instant Pot are corn, green beans, beets, cauliflower, squash, and potatoes. I think I eat more steamed veggies now that I did before I started using my Instant Pot to cook them!
Also Check: What Is Natural Release On Instant Pot Mean
How To Serve Instant Pot Steamed Vegetables
For a healthy and light lunch or dinner, serve these Instant Pot Steamed Vegetables with this Pan Fried Rainbow Trout, these Yogurt Marinated Chicken Kebabs, or this Chicken and Green Lentils Casserole.
Why Broccoli And Why Steamed Broccoli
Firstly, it is tasty. I love broccoli as a side along with my meal. Other than that, broccoli has great nutritional benefits.
Broccoli, part of the Brassica family, is considered a cruciferous vegetable. Broccoli is known for its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and pro-detoxification capabilities, which have disease fighting capabilities. Broccoli is a nutritional powerhouse, rich in vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber. Broccoli is also low in fat, saturated fat and cholesterol.
A Â½-cup portion of steamed broccoli contains 31 calories, 6 g of carbohydrates, 3 g of protein and no fat. Because it has such little fat, carbohydrates and calories, broccoli is often considered a free food, which means you can consume an unlimited amount of it and not feel guilty. Isnât that great?
Broccoli is most nutritious when eaten raw, however I am not a big fan of eating raw broccoli. If you cook it, the cooking method will determine how much of the broccoliâs nutrient content is maintained. The next best is quick-steaming broccoli, so that is what we are going to do here.
You May Like: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
Read Also: What To Do When Instant Pot Says Food Burn
Use Your Sense Of Taste Rather Than The Clock To Decide When To Stop Cooking The Broccoli
However, even if you don’t have a steamer, you can still cook your broccoli to taste the same. If you don’t have a steamer or steaming basket. New recipes added every day. How to steam broccoli without a steamer.
Use your sense of taste, rather than the clock, to decide when to stop cooking the broccoli.
Can I Steam Broccoli In My Instant Pot Without A Steamer Basket
The steamer basket is one of the best and most useful Instant Pot accessories worth getting your hands on, but if you dont already have it, and are wondering if you can still steam broccoli in the Instant Pot, well yes, you can!
You can either cut the broccoli into larger chunks and place them on the trivet, or into smaller, bite sized florets and then directly place them in the inner pot along with the water.
Read Also: How Long To Cook Frozen Tamales
Quick Pressure Release Is Essential
The caveat to the Instant Pot is that it can overcook some tender vegetables. For this recipe, we do a 0 minute cook time with a quick pressure release. The broccoli cooks while the pot comes to pressure, and while the pressure is released. It’s absolutely crucial that you do a quick pressure release, or your broccoli will end up overcooked and soggy.
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Broccoli
Sometimes I fear Im oversharing the same boring thing, because I always talk about making Instant Pot broccoli on . Yet every single time I mention it, I get no less than 5 people ask how I make it.
This is one of those back to basics recipes that everyone should know, because its SO simple and easy! This is how I meal prep a large batch of broccoli
You May Like: Instant Pot Troubleshooting Food Burn
What Is Good To Put On Steamed Broccoli
Steamed broccoli is great for meal prep, but you can dress it up with a few simple additions!
- Sliced almonds or walnuts .
- Roasted garlic cloves
- Seasoning, try garlic powder, salt and pepper, red pepper flakes, onion powder, or a dash of cayenne pepper if you want it spicy.
- Cheese, glorious cheese! Try topping your steamed broccoli with shredded cheddar, mozzarella, or parmesan. Do this after its done steaming but while the broccoli is still really hot. You want to give it a chance to melt a little bit.
- Dried cranberries or golden raisins with a dash of balsamic vinegar for a holiday version.
Get Steamed Broccoli Recipes Without Steamerpictures
Get Steamed Broccoli Recipes Without SteamerPictures. How to steam broccoli is a guide to get crisp, bright green broccoli every time without a steamer. How to perfectly steam broccoli every time.
However, even if you don’t have a steamer, you can still cook your broccoli to taste the same. Can i do it without a steamer basket? Place all in a steamer basket.
You May Like: Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Tips For How To Make Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli
- Cut the broccoli into even sized pieces, otherwise they will cook at different rates and wont be the same texture and some may overcook.
- Adding water to the bottom of the instant pot is critical! Otherwise your pot may say burn, and the broccoli might not steam properly.
- Set your instant pot for 0 minutes for just soft but still slightly crunchy broccoli. Do 1 minute for a softer version. And 2 minutes if you want it to be really, really soft.
- Make sure you quick release the pot right away, because your broccoli will keep cooking while the pressure is coming down. Without an instant release, it will get pretty soft.
Grilled Broccoli With Parmesan
Your friends and family will beg for seconds after you serve them a savory, grilled broccoli recipe!
- 6 cups of broccoli spears
- 2 tablespoons and 1-1/2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- Lemon slices
- Place the broccoli in a large bowl.
- Combine lemon juice, oil, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl and drizzle it over the broccoli to coat it.
- Let the mixture stand for about 30 minutes.
- Toss and drain the broccoli and place cheese in a small bowl. Add broccoli to coat it with cheese.
- Prepare your gill by using a drip pan. Place the broccoli over the pan on an oiled grill rack.
- Cover the broccoli and grill it over indirect medium heat for about 8-10 minutes per side until crisp and tender.
- Garnish it with red pepper flakes and lemon slices if you’d like.
- Serve and enjoy!
Serve this flavorful, crustless broccoli quiche recipe for breakfast or any time of the day!
- 1 16-ounce package of frozen chopped broccoli
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 cup of chopped scallions
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar
This mouth-watering, pine nut roasted broccoli recipe is as delicious as it is nutritious!
Read Also: How To Heat Tamales In Crock Pot
What To Keep In Mind When Steaming Vegetables In The Instant Pot
- Most vegetables should be sliced into relatively large chunks otherwise, they might overcook. The exceptions are dense vegetables such as carrots and sweet potatoes. Slice dense vegetables into 1/2-inch thick pieces.
- Fill up the Instant Pot to at least 1/2 to 3/4 of the capacity. Otherwise, it will come to pressure too quickly, and the vegetables wont cook through.
- Do a Quick Release as soon as the Instant Pot finishes cooking otherwise, the vegetables will overcook.
- If you open the lid and the vegetables are still undercooked, close the lid, and the residual heat will steam the vegetables some more.
How To Steam Broccoli In The Microwave
Many a times, I also like to steam my broccoli in a microwave.
Take a microwave safe dish. Add broccoli florets. Add about 2-3 tablespoons of water. Loosely cover the dish with a microwave safe plate.
Note: Do not tightly cover the plate, you want some of the steam to escape.
Steam the broccoli on high for 2 minutes. Check the broccoli. If required add 30 seconds of cooking time in intervals, until broccoli is cooked.
Note: Different microwave functions differently. Adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Don’t Miss: Reheat Tamales In Instant Pot
Steamed Broccoli Recipe Without Steamer
Steamed Broccoli Recipe Without Steamer Â· place broccoli florets in a steamer basket. I am eternally grateful for this site and, the recipe was delicious! Here are our tips on how to cook broccoli using a steamer basket. Season with salt, pepper, olive oil, and lemon juice to taste. 8 % daily value *
How to Steam Broccoli â without a steamer â My Kitchen Love from www.mykitchenlove.com
Â· place broccoli florets in a steamer basket. I am eternally grateful for this site and, the recipe was delicious! When the water is boiling, place the . Place a steamer basket inside the pot and add the broccoli. Here are our tips on how to cook broccoli using a steamer basket. 8 % daily value * Kids are also more likely to eat . Youâll need a steamer basket or steamer pan to make this recipe .
Read Also: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
How To Use This Recipe For Meal Prep
- Cook the vegetables ahead of time to reheat later. Steamed vegetables can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days. You can reheat them as needed.
- Prep and chop the vegetables ahead of time, store the fresh veggies in the refrigerator, and steam as needed. This way, you will always have freshly steamed vegetables and dont need to worry about reheating them.
- Cut and chop the vegetables and place them into the Instant Pot. Use the Delay Start function or turn on the pressure cooker before setting the table for dinner. You can leave the fresh vegetables in the Instant Pot for up to 8 hours.
Also Check: Instant Pot C6l Error Fix
Common Questions For Steamed Broccoli
How do you make steamed broccoli taste better?
Adding melted cheese to steamed broccoli is a classic way to add flavor. You can also toss it with your favorite salad dressing, or saute it with minced garlic, salt and pepper and olive oil.
Is steamed broccoli healthy?
Yes! Broccoli has many health benefits, and research shows that steaming your broccoli may be the best way to get all those nutrients.
Is broccoli anti-inflammatory?
Yes! Broccoli is rich in antioxidants, folate, fiber, and other nutrients that can help ease inflammation.
How To Steam Broccoli Without Steamer Basket
If you are wondering how to steam broccoli in Instant Pot without steamer basket, let me tell you that its certainly possible and its easy too!
- Wash and cut the broccoli into florets.
- Place the metal trivet inside the steel insert along with 1 cup water.
- Place the broccoli florets on top of the metal trivet.
- Pressure cook following the Instant Pot broccoli cooking time chart shared in this post.
Also Check: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
How Long Does It Take To Cook Frozen Broccoli In An Instant Pot
It takes 0 minutes to cook frozen broccoli in the Instant Pot. This is the same amount of time you need o cook regular broccoli.
All you have to do is add the frozen broccoli in a steamer basket on top of the trivet or in the pan of your Instant Pot.
Close the lid of your pressure cooker, and turn the valve to Sealing. Press Pressure Cook on your Instant Pot set to 0 minutes.
If you own a Crockpot Express you cant set it to 0 minutes so set to 1 minute and cancel as soon as it comes to pressure.
As soon as the Instant Pot has come to pressure turn the valve from sealing to venting and Quick Release immediately.
Meet Superfuel Vegan The Super Delicious 100% Plant
especially SuperFuel Vegandelicious all-in-one nutrition shakepremium 100% plant-based protein + key nutrientsespecially SuperFuel Vegandelicious all-in-one nutrition shakepremium 100% plant-based protein + key nutrients
Click here to learn more about SuperFuel Vegan the delicious 100% Plant-Based Proteinwith 40+ powerful superfoods »
Dip fresh sliced veggies, whole-grain crackers, or pita chips in this flavorful edamame and broccoli dip!
- 1 pound of shelled, cooked edamame
- 1 pound of broccoli florets, cooked
- 1/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons of chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 4 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of chopped basil
- 2 teaspoons of all-purpose seasoning
- Puree edamame, broccoli, garlic, and onion in a food processor for 2 minutes.
- Add sour cream, yogurt, basil, and pepper and blend the mixture until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Add lemon juice to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!
You May Like: Instant Pot Overnight Oats
How Long Does It Take To Steam Broccoli In An Instant Pot
Literally zero minutes- if you exclude the preheating time that is! To steam broccoli in your Instant Pot, youll first need to add ¾ cup of water into the pot, preheat it for 15 minutes, and then press the pressure cook button, set it to high and then cook the broccoli for zero minutes.
Best of all, this doesnt just work for broccoli but almost any other veggie!