How To Cook It
To make the rice, first measure out the rice using the scoop that comes with the Instant Pot. Using the scoop is important because its the basis of the ratio that I found works for this recipe: 2 scoops of uncooked short-grain rice for every 1.75 scoops of water.
I have not tested it with anything other than 2 cups of rice, so your results may vary drastically if you try to scale this up or down. With a normal rice cooker at least, you cant just scale the ingredients equally.
Rinse your rice over running water and place it in the Instant Pot metal container.
Pour the appropriate water ratio over the rice, and even out the rice with a paddle or clean hands. Close and lock the lid, and close the steam valve so the machine can build pressure.
Use the low-pressure setting and cook for 10 minutes with the natural pressure release on. Make sure to turn off the keep warm setting.
Once its finished letting out all the pressure and steam, carefully remove the lid, and use a paddle to fluff the rice. Eat the rice fresh and serve immediately. To learn how to properly eat rice with chopsticks, you can read my chopstick tutorial.
Serve Instant Pot Brown Rice
Finally, fluff the perfectly cooked brown rice with a rice paddle or fork.
*Pro Tip: If the rice is a bit wet, let it rest a bit for the moisture to escape before serving.
Enjoy your tasty & perfectly cooked pressure cooker brown rice~
*Leftover Rice Storage Tip: Let leftover brown rice cool completely before storing in the fridge.
S Replacement For Instant Pot Duo 5
- What You Get: 2 X Sealing Ring, 1 X Steam Release Valve, 2 X Float Valve, 3 X Float Valve Gasket
- Replacement Parts Are Model Specific, This Item Is Especially Compatible With InstantPotDuo 5And6 Quart
- Sweet And Savory Sealing Rings: Comes With Two Different Colors Sealing Ring To Prevent The Odors Of Certain Foods From Transferring Among Your Favorite Foods. The Blue Ring Is For Sweet/Diary Food And Red For Savory Food
- Keep Pressure Cooking Safe: Replace Old Or Damaged Parts To Keep Your Device In Perfect Condition, These Replacement Parts Are Designed To Build And Maintain Pressure, Without Them The Device Will Not Work Properly
- Come With 2 More Float Valve Sealer Gasket, Easy To Replace It After Discolored Or Broken
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Beets Instant Pot
Oxo Good Grips Pressure Cooker Bakeware Sling
Your Instant Pot comes with a metal steam rack and that works perfectly well. Weve just found that its not always easy to get the inner pot out when its time. So you can either create a sling for your pot or, instead of doing that every time, you can get this silicone bakeware sling, which you can reuse over and over again. It lifts your container up off the bottom of the liner and you can totally place it on top of any food that youre cooking on the bottom layer . Note: Its key that the container you use for PIP cooking sits on a rack or on top of other food versus being placed directly in the insert.
In this beginner-friendly recipe, we are going to teach you how to cook rice in the Instant Pot pressure cooker. With detailed instructions, step-by-step photos and cooking tips, you will have perfectly cooked rice every time. We will cover how to make dry white rice such as Basmati, Jasmine and regular long-grain and medium-grain, and provide cooking variations for brown rice and wild rice.
Rice is the most widely consumed staple food on the planet, so naturally, it is one of the first Instant Pot recipes one should learn how to make. Another reason is that the pressure cooker is perfect for making fluffy, well-cooked rice quickly and easily.
Keywords: Vegan, Vegetarian, Rice, Grain, Instant Pot, Pressure Cooking, Basmati Rice, Jasmine Rice
How To Cook Jasmine Rice In The Instant Pot
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Thaw Ground Beef
Should I Use The Rice Button On My Instant Pot
The Instant Pots rice button is best used for white rice, as it is specifically calibrated to weigh white rice and water and cook the rice accordingly. This is ideal for weeknights when you truly want to set and forget your rice, but not great for cooking different varieties of rice on the fly.
Luckily, you can use your Instant Pots manual pressure function to cook white, brown, or wild rice on high pressure in just a few minutes. Heres how to do it.
To Rinse Rice Or Not Rinse Rice
That is the question. There are all sorts of theories about why you should or shouldnt rinse your rice before using it.
I always rinse my rice. Why? Because that is what my father taught me to do.
When I was a little kid we would have this big pile of rice in a sack in the kitchen that was imported by ship from Surinam.
My father would take a couple of cups of rice and clean it because it had a lot of starch and starch sticks.
He always said, you never know where the rice has been or what was put on it so wash it with warm water until the water is clear.
To this day that is what I do because the rice doesnt stick together as much as it would unrinsed.
If you do not want to rinse the rice that is totally fine as well.
You May Like: Instant Pot Tamales Frozen
Instant Pot Duo Plus 9
- Duo Plus Replaces 9 Common Kitchen Appliances Including Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Egg Cooker, Saute, Steamer, Warmer, Sterilizer And It Makes Cake Too
- Duo Plus Is The Latest Evolution In The Number 1 Selling Multi-Cooker The Duo Series With More Custom Features, Improved Usability And A Large Attractive Blue Lcd Screen
- Up To 70 Percentage Quicker. A Great Meal Is A Press Of Button Away With 15 Microprocessor Controlled Programs Taking The Guess-Work Out Of Your Cooking. You Can Achieve Prefect Results Every Time
- Transparent Glass For Clear Viewing, Perfect For Slow Cooking And Sauting
- InstantPot Tempered Glass Lid With Steam Vent And Stainless Steel Rim And Handle
- Dimensions: 2 X 10. 2 X 3. 4 Inches Genuine InstantPot Pressure Cooker Accessory, Dishwasher Safe And Durable
- Designed For InstantPot Multi Use Programmable Pressure Cooker 8 Quart, Iplux80, Ip Duo80
- All Components In Contact With Food Are Food Grade 304 Stainless Steel Including The Lid, The Inner Pot With 3-Ply Bottom And Steam Rack With Handles.
Instant Pot Rice: Here’s How To Make It
This is how to cook delicious rice in your Instant Pot every time.
The Instant Pot Max.
If you own an Instant Pot, you know they’re super-convenient kitchen gadgets. They not only save time, they also create less mess so clean-up is a snap. You can whip up delicious rice in your Instant Pot, too . The problem is the printed manual and bundled recipe book give only vague instructions. And Instant Pot’s own guide clashes with many rice recipes on its website.
To settle the matter, I tested my hand at batch after batch of Instant Pot rice. This guide lays out what worked for me in simple steps you can try yourself. Soon you’ll be leaning on your new Instant Pot to pull double duty as a speedy rice-maker too.
How To Make Instant Pot Long Grain Rice
So start rinsing your rice in a mesh strainer and wash it with warm water. If you do not rinse your rice put a cup in your pressure cooker.
Add a cup of water or broth to the rice cooker. Take the same cup that you use to measure the rice to measure the water.
You can add salt but that is totally optional. I never add salt to my rice before cooking and do not miss it but feel free to add.
No close the lid of the Instant Pot and secure it. Turn the valve to the sealed position.
Select the Manual or Pressure Cooker option and cook on high for 4 minutes.
When the cooking time is done let the pressure Natural Release for 5 minutes then Quick Release the remaining pressure.
If your pressure cooker comes with a white paddle fluff the rice with it else you can use a fork.
Use or serve the rice immediately.
The Ratio For Water To Rice Is 1 To 1
The golden rule for the ratio for Japanese short-grain rice to water is 1 to 1.1 or 1.2. So if the rice is 180 ml , you will need 200 ml water.
However, when the rice is cooked in the Instant Pot, the steam does not escape from the pressure cooking. Therefore, the best ratio for the rice to water is one to one.
Recommended Reading: Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Star Wars Duo 6
- Healthy Inner Cooking Pot Made From 304 Stainless Steel, No Chemical Coating, 3-Ply Bottom For Even Heat Distribution, Fully Sealed Environment Traps The Flavours, Nutrients And Aromas Within The Food. Slow-Cooker Setting Has 3 Temperature Levels And Can Be Programmed To Cook Between 30 Minutes And 20 Hours At Each Level
- Features 14 Smart Programs – Soup, Meat/Stew, Bean/Chili, Poultry, Saut/Simmer, Rice, Multigrain, Porridge, Steam, Slow Cook, Keep Warm, Yogurt, Manual, And Pressure Cook. Now, Your Favorite Dishes Are As Easy As Pressing A Button
- Ul And Ulc Certified With 10 Safety Mechanisms To Provide You With Added Assurance, Designed To Eliminate Many Common Errors
- Built With The Latest 3Rd Generation Technology, The Microprocessor Monitors Pressure, Temperature, Keeps Time, And Adjusts Heating Intensity And Duration To Achieve Your Desired Results Every Time
- Accessories Include Stainless Steel Steam Rack With Handles And Condensation Collector
Instant Pot Bean/chili Setting
The Bean/Chili setting button can be used to cook larger dry legumes such as beans and chickpeas in liquid or to cook chili or another type of stew that uses dry beans. The program settings use High pressure and result in different doneness of beans. When cooking beans, always use NR to release pressure after cooking is done. Below is how to use the Bean/Chili setting on Instant Pot.
- Turn the Instant Pot on, it will say OFF to indicate the Stand-By mode. Add dry beans, liquid and salt to the pot. Secure and lock the lid. Select the Bean/Chili button. The default setting is pre-programmed to set the pot to cook at High pressure for 30 minutes. If you press the button again, you can adjust the mode from Normal to Less or More .
- Less mode 25 minutes at High pressure for a firmer bean texture or to cook black beans, dry lima beans, Navy beans, black-eyed peas, Adzuki, anasazi, dry peas.
- Normal mode 30 minutes at High pressure for a softer bean texture or to cook red kidney beans, white kidney beans , Pinto beans, black-eyed peas .
- More mode 40 minutes at High pressure for a very soft bean texture or to cook harder legumes like chickpeas and soybeans .
Ensure dry beans are completely submerged in water. Dried beans double in volume and weight after soaking or cooking. To avoid overflow, please do not fill the inner pot more than to the Â½ mark to allow for expansion.
Note: You can also use the Multigrain setting to cook most beans.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Tuna Steak In Instant Pot
Natural Release For 10 Minutes And Then Release The Pressure
Because we do not want mushy texture for rice, we must release the pressure from the Instant Pot after 10 minutes. The rice is still being cooked during this natural release stage, but 10 minutes is plenty of time for the rice to finish cooking. After 10 minutes, there is not much pressure left, so you dont need to worry about releasing the pressure.
Want Fluffy Rice Rinse Well
I dont always remember or have time to do this step, but it helps when I do: Rinse the rice in a wire mesh colander under cold water for 30 seconds or so, or until the water runs mostly clear.
Rinsing makes the rice fluffy, and seems to make more of a difference with white rice varieties verses brown the latter is protected by its hull and doesnt tend to have a lot of extra starch clinging to the outside of the grains.
You May Like: Frozen Beef In Instant Pot
Golden Rules For Cooking Perfect Instant Pot Rice :
- Cooking Time : High Pressure for 3 minutes and 10 minutes Natural Release.
- Water-to-Rice Ratio: 1 cup of cold water for 1 cup of white rice
- Instant Pot users: take note that the rice measuring cup that comes with the Instant Pot is only 180 ml
These golden rules must be followed strictly for the best results.
Tips To Avoid Sticky Instant Pot Rice
Rice is tricky in a pressure cooker, it likes to get sticky. If you have a non-stick pot for your pressure cooker, get it out for this recipe! It isnt required, but it helps a lot with avoiding sticky rice.
Another trick is to spread your rice out on a baking sheet immediately after cooking to allow some of the liquid to evaporate. Then return it to the pot for the frying step, whether that be sautéing it in the pot or using the air fryer lid.
Mostly, be prepared for fried rice that is a bit on the stickier side than that made on a stove top or a flat top grill. It still tastes great!
If you are using an Instant Pot Duo Crisp, Ninja Foodi, Mealthy Crisp Lid, or Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid, your rice will come out more like true fried rice than if you stick to a regular Instant Pot without that bonus air fryer finish that you can get from the other products.
You May Like: Pressure Cooker Tamales Instant Pot
What Is An Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker
An Instant Pot is a programmable electric pressure cooker. While some people have been wary of pressure cookers due to the dangers of those used in the 1970s, todays pressure cookers are safe and becoming mainstream.
The pressure cooker we use is Instant Pot brand: we use this 6 quart Instant Pot. But there are many other brands of electric pressure cookers. The concept is to cook foods at high pressure, which cuts down on cooking time and makes for even cooking. We like that it keeps things off the stove where we are usually cooking other components of our meals.
Minimum Amounts Of Rice
One last rule of thumb to keep in mind is that youll need to cook at least 1 1/2 cups of rice in a 6-quart pressure cooker to get nice, even results. This is because the bottom of the pot isnt perfectly flat, but slightly concave. If you use less rice, the grains in the middle of the pot will not cook as evenly, since they wont be submerged in the water as much as the rice on the sides of the pot.
On the flip side, dont overfill your pressure cooker with too much rice, either! It should be half full or less when youre cooking any grains, beans, pastas, or other foods that can tend to foam up. I find that I get the best results when I cook between 1 1/2 and 3 cups of rice at a time.
- TIP! By the way, you can always make extra rice and freeze the extra. Heres how to do that.
Those are my best tips for cooking rice! Of course, you can also just follow the basic recipe below. Either way, enjoy!
Read Also: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Does Instant Pot Make Good Rice
Absolutely! We found it to be much better than stovetop because it absorbs the exact amount of water it needs. Even a novice cooker will be able to make the perfect fluffy rice in it.
When cooking the rice in the pressure cooker the main trick is to use the right amount of water. Generally, you need 1 cup of water for every cup of rice. The IP does the rest, and you are pretty much guaranteed to end up with the best-cooked rice.
On the other hand, when cooking it on the stovetop, you have to account for water evaporation, and you usually need more water. Therefore, this makes it more difficult to end up with perfectly-cooked rice.
Best Sling: Oxo Good Grips Bakeware Sling
If youre looking for a durable accessory that can be used while baking in the Instant Pot, the OXO Bakeware Sling is a great option. Getting bakeware in and out of the pot without spilling, and getting it out of the hot pot without burning your hands can be a challenge, even if youve got sturdy potholders. This handy sling solves the problem, and also means you dont have to bother with the metal trivet since it lifts the bakeware off the bottom of the pot. Not just for the Instant Pot, this can be used in a pot on the stove, too.
Many Instant Pot users report that when they cook spicy or pungent foods in their Instant Pot, the seal tends to absorb the odor. While there are many methods that can reduce the odor, some of them are time-consuming and may not work for all scents. The answer to that problem is simplejust have one or more extra sealing rings on hand, so one ring can be used when youve added highly flavorful spices to your savory foods and a second can be used for delicately flavored foods and desserts.
An extra ring is handy to keep on hand, even if spicy foods arent an issue, since you never know when the dog might decide the ring is a pull toy. This is a set of two authentic Instant Pot rings in red and blue so you can tell which is for spicy foods without sniffing.
Also Check: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn