How To Avoid Cooking Mushy Veggies In The Pressure Cooker:
As much as I love a good pot roast, made in a Dutch oven on the stove, slow cooker, or instant pot, I cant stand the mushy veggies.
I feel like in the crock pot if you add all the ingredients at the same time, you still have more control over the texture of the veggies than in the pressure cooker.
However, when you pressure cooker the meat, if you add the veggies at the same time, it is almost guaranteed that they will end up very mushy. It only takes minutes to cook them in the Instant Pot, while for the meat you need a much longer cooking time, especially for a tender pot roast.
I prefer to take the extra step, and first cook the beef, after which I remove it to a plate, sieve the gravy, and only after that add the veggies and cook them for just a few minutes. While this step will take you 20-30 minutes, for the IP to come to pressure and cook everything, it is definitely worth it.
Using this method, your beef and veggies will be cooked to perfection with a delicious gravy as well.
How Do You Cook A Roast In An Instant Pot
To cook a beef roast in an instant pot, follow these simple steps!
Thats all there is to it! Now read on to find out what people have to say about this revolutionary way to cook your favorite Sunday dish, the famous Pot Roast.
What Cut Of Beef Is Best
You can’t beat how well a chuck roast cooks and shreds, especially when you cook it in the pressure cooker. There’s something unique about that cut of meat and the amount of fat marbled throughout that makes it tender and moist and shred like a dream.
You can choose a bone-in or boneless chuck roast for this recipe. My preference is actually to always use a bone-in roast when available because it just adds so much more flavor. I had to use a boneless chuck roast for this recipe, however, because it what was available. The fact that it was a Wagyu grassfed chuck roast sure didn’t hurt either!
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Skim The Cooking Liquid Then Save It
When the pork is finished, you have juicy and tender pulled pork as well as a rich and flavorful broth. Its pure gold. Remove the cooking liquid from the slow cooker and skim as much fat as possible remember, pork shoulder is well marbled with fat, so thats all going to melt into the liquid. Discard the excess fat and then stir the liquid back into the pork to keep it extra moist and flavorful.
Another alternative is to refrigerate the pork in its cooking liquid. When its cold, the fat will have solidified, making it easy to scrape off with a spoon.
Can I Use Frozen Beef
You might be wondering if you can use frozen beef for pot roast. Technically, the answer is yes, the cook time will just be longer .
That said, for the best results, we highly recommend following our method which calls for thawed beef thats seasoned with salt and been left on the counter long enough to take the chill off. This extra time creates the most flavorful, melt-in-your-mouth pot roast. Using thawed beef also allows us to brown the outside of the meat before braising it, which adds a lot of extra flavor to dish.
Recommended Reading: How To Proof Bread In Instant Pot
Tips For Making Pot Roast
- Pot roasts can be made using many different cooking methods. If you dont have an Instant Pot, you can try our recipes for making pot roast in the slow cooker or in the oven .
- To avoid mushy vegetables just add them later! 10 minutes before your cooking time is up, release the pressure and add the carrots and potatoes. Press cancel and then re-set to high pressure for 8 minutes. If you have bigger potatoes or potato dices, cook for 10 minutes.
- If you have leftovers, roast can easily be shredded and frozen to eat at a later date. Just remove any vegetables and place in a Ziplock bag to freeze. When ready to re-heat thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat or add to your favorite shredded beef recipes.
Choosing The Best Cut Of Beef For Pot Roast:
Chuck roast is the most commonly used cut of beef used in pot roast recipes. You want to go with marbled chuck roast which is widely available at most grocery stores. This results in a super tender and flavorful meal.
You can also go with other chucks, such as chuck eye, blade roast, shoulder roast, shoulder steak, arm steak, arm roast, cross-rib roast, or seven-bone roast. In addition, brisket will be a great option for this recipe.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Can You Make Mashed Potatoes And Gravy With Instant Pot Pot Roast
Yes! If you are a mashed potato fan, youve got to try my favoriteInstant Pot Pot Roast with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy recipe! Its made with dry onion soup mix and youre only putting four ingredients into the Instant Pot so it is truly the easiest pot roast you will ever make and so fall-apart tender. When the roast is done, you pull out the potatoes and mash them with sour cream, salt, pepper, and garlic and top them with savory beef broth gravy right from the Instant Pot!
Cook The Pork On Low And Cook It Slow
After seasoning the meat, we put together a mixture of cooked onions, garlic, tomato paste, and spices. Thats poured over the pork, and were ready to cook.
When I said the slow cooker shines in this recipe, I meant it. Its pretty tricky to overcook pork shoulder. Its because of this that we happily cook the pork on low for many hours.
In our recipe below we call for at least 8, but you really can go beyond that. The pork should be so tender that a spoon can cut through it. Doing all of this in a slow cooker makes it easy. Do it overnight or while you are away from the house.
Don’t Miss: How To Steam Artichokes In Instant Pot
What Kind Of Person Do You Want To Be
From the moment we wake up in the morning, we get to choose what kind of person we want to be. What will or perspective be on the day, our lives, our world?
These last couple of months, I definitely feel the humdrum of daily repetition. Do you, too? But I donât want to slip into auto-pilot.
My goal in life is to be refreshing, a breath of fresh air, a light to those around me. You know those people who are bright and refreshing? You sense a different kind of light inside of them, that permeates the world around them? I want to be that.
You suddenly feel warm inside, you want to hug them, they feel like your new best friend. Thereâs a sparkle in their eyes you just love them. Not in a romantic way, but in a true, heartfelt, longing to be close way, hoping that their warmth and love rubs off on you!
Make Gravy & Serve Instant Pot Roast
Taste the sauce one last time and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Mix 1 ½ tbsp cornstarch with 2 tbsp water, then mix it into the yummy pot roast gravy one third at a time until desired thickness.
Then, slice the pot roast against the grain. High five your family!
Serve this Easy Instant Pot Umami Pot Roast and Potatoes with Gravy, and enjoy this umami filled dish youve just cooked!
Read Also: What Do I Do When My Instant Pot Says Burn
Delicious Video Of Our Easy Pot Roast Recipe
How is Our Pot Roast Recipe Juicy and Tender?
In about an hour, this boneless beef chuck roast becomes a tender and fall-apart-juicy dinner. Its amazing how quickly, when cooked under pressure, meat breaks down and cooks. Even in this short amount of time, theres tons of flavor in the broth. You can add what ever vegetables you like, just time the vegetables accordingly based on their texture. If you like vegetables that are more firm with bite, cook them for less time. The best part about this Instant Pot is that it sears. So much flavor comes from the onions, garlic and beef. So unlike most slow cookers that cant sear, this one can do it easily AND cook food quickly at the same time. This beef pot roast recipe is quick and the meat is super juicy and tender. Click here for all our great > Instant Pot and Pressure Cooker Recipes
Substitutions For This Instant Pot Chuck Roast Recipe
- Chuck roast- You might be able to use a beef brisket or a round bottom roast, but I havenât personally tried them in this recipe. If you try either, instead of a chuck roast, you may need to add a few more minutes of cooking to achieve the same tenderness.
- Water- Many readers asked if they can use beef broth as a substitute for the water. You absolutely can, you just might need to pull back on the salt used, depending on how salty your broth is.
- Red wine If you abstain from alcohol, you can most definitely use a non-alcoholic red wine, or substitute with beef broth.
- Fresh herbs Iâve been enjoying all the fresh herbs this summer, and how easily accessible they are. However, come the harsh winter in Alaska, fresh rosemary and thyme will become harder to find. You can definitely substitute with dried herbs .
- Gluten-Free Worcestershire Sauce Worcestershire sauce imparts a deep-bodied umami flavor in this gluten-free pot roast recipe. There really are no substitutes however, if I had to recommend one, Iâd probably pick beef broth.
Read Also: Instant Pot Says Burn
How Long To Cook The Eggs
Depending on what consistency you want the yolks to be, you will cook the eggs in the pressure cooker for three to nine minutes. In all cases, we immediately release the pressure inside the Instant Pot.
- At 3 minutes, the egg yolks will be soft and runny in the center with whites that are just set.
- At 4 to 5 minutes, the egg yolks will be jammy and bright yellow in the center with firmer whites.
- At 6 to 7 minutes, the egg yolks will be mostly set and the whites firm.
- At 8 to 9 minutes, the egg yolks will be completely cooked .
For snacks, deviled eggs, and chopped eggs for salads, I like cooking at high pressure for 7 to 8 minutes. For eggs perfect for soups like ramen, I stick with the runny middles that 3 minutes creates.
Mexican Beef And Vegetable Stew
Cubes of beef chuck roast go under pressure along with diced tomatoes, crushed red pepper flakes, quartered potatoes, carrots, corn, onion, and classic Mexican seasonings. You’ll add coarsely chopped cabbage at the end. “The pressure cooker produces a ‘simmered all day’ taste in less than an hour,” says ,” says Baking Nana.
Don’t Miss: Can Instant Pot Go In Dishwasher
How To Make Instant Pot Pot Roast
First, you might be wondering what kind of roast to use for pot roast. I recommend using a boneless beef chuck roast for this recipe. The marbling in a chuck roast will make your pot roast extra tender and juicy.
Season and Sear the Beef: To make this Instant Pot pot roast, youll start by cutting your chuck roast in half. Then youll season all sides both sides of the beef with salt and pepper. Be generous with your seasoning.
Next you will sear the beef using your Instant Pots sauté setting. Browning the beef adds so much flavor. Youll heat a little bit of olive oil in the pot and add the meat once the pot is hot. While the beef sears, you can chop your onion.
Sauté the Onion and Garlic: Once you have browned the roast on both sides, transfer it to a clean plate and set it aside for a few minutes. Add the onion to the pot and sauté until the onion softens and begins to brown. You can use a spatula or wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Stir in some minced garlic and turn off the Instant Pot.
Deglaze the Pot: Now you are going to add tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and beef broth to the pot. Stir everything together and make sure that there are no browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. This step of deglazing the pan will ensure that you do not get a burn warning during the pressure cooking process.
Instant Pot Pot Roast With Potatoes
A quick note about adding potatoes, using baby potatoes are totally the way to go. They are the perfect size and they dont get mushy. Potatoes that are peeled and cut tend to get mushy in the Instant Pot when they cook for a longer amount of time. By keeping the skin on and not cutting them, the potatoes cook thoroughly while remaining firm. If you must use peeled diced potatoes and carrots, you will definitely want to release the pressure a few minutes before the regular cooking time, then add the potatoes and cook on high pressure an additional 8 minutes. 30+ minutes is too long to pressure cook diced potatoes.
Don’t Miss: How Long To Cook Brisket In Instant Pot
How To Serve Braised Beef
Need another serving idea? Top baked sweet potatoes with this beef, steamed broccoli, and shredded cheese for a twist on loaded baked potatoes. Dont forget to drizzle on some of the sauce!
How To Make Pot Roast In Pressure Cooker
- Turn your pressure cooker to the Saute function and pour in 1 tablespoon oil.
- While the pressure cooker is heating, liberally season the chuck roast on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the seasoned roast into the heated inner pot, and sear the roast for 3-4 minutes per side or until browned.
- Turn the instant pot OFF from the saute function and remove the pot roast from the inner pot and place on a platter.
- Pour in about ½ cup of the beef broth and use a spatula or wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the inner pot, so that pressure can build appropriately and you wont get a burn notice.
- Add seared roast back to the inner pot. Pour in the rest of the beef broth and then sprinkle the with additional salt, pepper, and onion powder. Top the roast with minced garlic and horseradish.
- pound on high pressure. This would be 60 minutes for a 3 pound roast.
- Once the cook time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes. This will keep the pot roast super tender.
- Remove the pot roast from liquid and place onto a platter or cutting board. It is okay if it falls apart as you are removing the roast–it should be fall-apart tender.
- Tent the meat with foil and let rest for 5-10 minute befores shredding or slicing and serving with the cooking juices.
Read Also: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
How To Marinate Chuck Roast
Instant Pot Pot Roast Tips For Success
- Choose the chuck roast, trust me!
- Dont skip searing. Its where youre going to create loads of flavor for your Instant Pot pot roast recipe
- Leave your potatoes whole! They turn out just right using this method.
- Larger chunks of carrots will yield better results. You can use baby carrots, but they may be a bit too soft at the end of cooking.
- BONUS GRAVY: You can remove the meat and vegetables to a serving dish and create an optional gravy with the liquid in the pot. Just whisk together 1/3 cup of cold water with 3 tablespoons cornstarch. Set the pot to sauté, high and let the mixture bubble, then whisk this mixture into the liquid in your pot. Start off with a small amount mixed in then add more if necessary based on the amount of thickening you desire.
I hope you LOVE my simple Instant Pot pot roast recipe. Be sure to leave a comment letting me know how it turned out for you, and if you made any tweaks to the recipe. Were all learning together!
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Brisket Cooking Time
How To Cook A Frozen Roast In An Instant Pot
Wondering if you can cook a frozen chuck roast in your Instant Pot?
Well, the short answer is yes! The long answer is a bit more complicated. Please note that your results will be much better if you used a thawed piece of meat, but, I know that sometimes you really want to make a pot roast and the only meat you have on hand is frozen. Been there, done that!
If you do decide to cook a frozen chuck roast, youll want to add about 5 extra minutes per pound of cook time and skip the searing step. Since youre adding so much cooking time, I would suggest doing a quick release after the first 70 minutes, then adding the vegetables, and cooking on high pressure for an additional 15-20 minutes.
I make frozen chicken breast in an Instant Pot all the time, but with a beef roast, you will find that the outside cooks much faster. This can mean result in the outer layers being overdone by the end of the cooking time.
If you do decide to cook a frozen chuck roast in the Instant Pot, let me know how it turned out in the comment section below. Im sure that your experience will be really useful for our other home cooks.