Recipe Tips And Notes
- If the back of the ribs has a membrane, do your best to remove that prior to seasoning the ribs. With the bones facing up, slide your finger or a butter knife under the membrane between two rib bones until you can grip the membrane with a paper towel and pull it off.
- Season the ribs with a dry rub. A dry rub is best for these ribs because it will infuse it with a lot of flavor as it cooks and it wont wash away while it steams in the Instant Pot.
- Pressure cook the ribs rolled in a circle. They wont cook evenly if you cut them and stack them.
- You can sauté the onions first in some butter for more depth of flavor.
- Broil the ribs for a few minutes to crisp the top and boost the flavor of the barbecue sauce. Use the middle position in your oven when broiling for the best results.
- This Instant Pot ribs recipe works for one or two sets of ribs without adjusting the sauce quantities. Simply add a second set of ribs coiled in the Instant Pot.
- Its best to use a 6 QT or larger Instant Pot.
How Long To Cook Ribs In The Instant Pot
Our Instant Pot ribs recipe works for both beef ribs and pork ribs! Youll just want to take note of the slightly different cooking times. We tested it with:
- Baby back ribs: 30 minutes under pressure
- St. Louis-style ribs: 32 minutes under pressure
- Beef short ribs: 38 minutes under pressure
- Beef short back ribs: 35 minutes under pressure
What Are Beef Short Ribs
What kind of meat is short ribs? Its not what you might think!
Surprisingly, boneless beef short ribs are not actually rib meat. They are cut from the chuck, or shoulder, but can be harder to find.
Bone-in short ribs come from the belly and are a much fattier cut of meat. Many butchers will actually remove the bones from bone-in short ribs for you, which is what I did for this boneless short rib recipe.
TIP: If youre using bone-in short ribs, you will need to increase the pressure cook time to 50 minutes. Short rib meat takes a bit longer to cook with the bones than without.
Also Check: How Long To Pressure Cook Tamales
How To Freeze Beef Short Ribs
First we covered how to cook short ribs, now lets freeze them for later. Let the ribs cool completely, then place in a freezer-safe glass dish. Cover with the sauce/cooking liquid and then freeze.
Let them thaw in the fridge overnight, then simply reheat in a sauce pan when youre ready to serve them.
How To Cook Short Ribs
Lets get to the best beef short ribs recipe, Im getting hungry!
First, well season the meat with salt and pepper. This step helps to build flavor throughout the cooking process. Dont skimp, you need a generous amount!
Next, were going to sear the short ribs and get a nice crust on them well do this right in the Instant Pot using the Saute setting. Be sure to do this in batches. We dont want to crowd the pan too much or they will steam instead of brown.
After cooking short ribs on the outside to get a brown crust, remove them and saute the garlic with some oil in the Instant Pot for just a minute.
TIP: This is a basic 5-ingredient beef short ribs recipe thats the point. You can definitely up the flavor by adding some sauteed onion before adding the garlic, or adding fresh herbs such as thyme or rosemary.
Add some beef broth and coconut aminos to the pressure cooker, and use a spoon to de-glaze the pan. This means getting all the yummy browned bits off the bottom! Place the short ribs back in there, along with a bay leaf.
Then, well let the pressure cooker do its magic. For boneless Instant Pot short ribs, set the time to 40 minutes, or increase to 50 minutes for bone-in pressure cooker short ribs.
After the instant pot short ribs are done, let the natural release do its thing for 10 minutes before switching to manual release.
TIP: You need the natural release, because this helps the beef short ribs finish cooking and helps them come out tender.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Beef Back Ribs
This post contains affiliate links. ;Please read my disclosure policy.
Instant Pot Beef Back Ribs with a dry rub and made in the Instant Pot using apple cider vinegar as the liquid.; This summertime favorite is easy from start to finish and delicious.
These ribs are finished in the oven for a crispy texture and coated with your favorite BBQ sauce.
RELATED:Instant Pot BBQ Beef Brisket
How Long Do You Grill Ribs At 300 Degrees
Season liberally with the secret sweet rub and prepare your grill for indirect grilling. The target temperature on your grill is 300 degrees F. Use fruit woods like apple, peach, cherry, or hardwoods like hickory or oak. Place the ribs on the grill, close the lid and cook for 2 1/2 hours at 300 degrees.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Hamburger Meat In The Instant Pot
Key Steps For Instant Pot Ribs
- Prepare the ribs properly. Pork ribs have a thin layer of membrane that line the bone side. No length of cooking will soften or tenderize it, so youve got the peel it away before you season the ribs. With the bones facing up, slide a butter knife under the membrane between two rib bones until you can grip the membrane and slowly pull it away like pulling off a label on a jelly jar.
- Make your own rub. A dry rub is best for seasoning these ribs because the pressure cooker will essentially steam them sort of washing away any wet seasonings on the ribs. A dry rub, however, stays put. Here is where you can customize the flavor of your ribs and season them directly with the smoked salt.
- Pressure steam in a circle. Dont cut the ribs and stack them for cooking in the Instant Pot they wont cook evenly. Instead, roll up the ribs and stand them up inside the pressure cooker on a trivet. It looks weird but works well.
- Cool flat. With a 20-minute cook time and 15 minutes to come to pressure, the ribs will cook for a total of about 35 minutes. Then youll do a quick release of pressure. If you cool the ribs in their coiled state they are much harder to sauce and barbecue or broil to finish, so remove them from the pot and lay flat on a baking sheet to cool.
- Knowing when the ribs are done. The ribs should gently bend, not break, when lifted, and the meat should be just pulling away from the ribs.
Whats The Difference Between Baby Back Ribs And Spareribs
Baby back ribs
- Cut from where the rib meets the spine after the loin is removed. The upper ribs are called baby back ribs.
- Each rib rack averages 10 to 13 curved ribs that are 3 to 6 inches long and weigh about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds, which feeds about 2 people.
- Very tender and lean, more expensive than spareribs.
- The meaty ribs cut from the belly of the animal after the belly is removed. They are usually trimmed down by cutting away the hard breastbone and chewy cartilage, so the slab is more rectangular in shape
- The rib rack is flatter than baby back ribs, which makes them easier to brown. Each slab usually weighs 2 1/2 pounds or more and feeds about three to four people.
- A lot of bone but also a higher amount of fat, making them very flavorful if cooked properly, and less expensive than baby back ribs.
You May Like: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
How To Do A Natural Release Of The Steam On An Instant Pot:
When you do a natural release on an Instant Pot, it means you allow the pressure to gradually release without opening the valve.Once your Instant Pot is finished cooking, it will beep, and then it will start counting up on the keep warm mode.; This recipe has a natural release time of 5 minutes so once the timer shows 5 minutes, you can then open the steam release valve to release the rest of the pressure.
- 1/4teaspooncayenne pepper
How To Make Instant Pot Bbq Ribs
Peel the membrane off the back of the ribs. In a small bowl, mix all of your dry rub ingredients. Massage the dry ingredients to the top layer of your ribs.
Pour your apple cider vinegar, water, and liquid smoke, to the bottom of your instant pot. Place the trigger inside. Place your ribs inside the instant pot.
Close the lid on your instant pot and close the sealing valve. So your instant pot to high pressure for 20 minutes.
Once your instant pot is done cooking, allow it to release for 15 minutes naturally. After the 15 minutes, manually released by opening the sealing valve and releasing the pressure.
Remove your ribs to a cookie sheet. Add your desired amount of barbecue sauce to the top of the ribs over the rub.
Broil in the oven for about five minutes or until your barbecue sauce is bubbly.
Allow the ribs to cool for a couple more minutes, cut into sections, and enjoy! You can top it with more barbecue sauce if you like.
You May Like: Tamales In An Instant Pot
How Do You Prepare Baby Back Ribs For The Instant Pot
My husband prefers to cut the ribs in half, so theres about 6-7 ribs per section.; But, you do not have to do this.; Its just his preference.; You can keep the entire length of the rack of ribs together.;;If you have a 6 qt or smaller Instant Pot, I recommend just one rack of ribs.; I have an 8 qt Instant Pot, and we easily fit two racks of ribs which was plenty for a family of 6.;
Make sure you defrost your ribs completely before cooking.; I left mine out on the counter for a couple hours the day before, and then popped them in the fridge for about 18 hours.
What Do You Need To Make The Dry
The dry rub is what will add flavor to the ribs. I absolutely love my homemade dry rub recipe, its perfectly balanced when it comes to sweet and spicy. Also, it has some cinnamon and nutmeg that elevates the other flavors and just adds another layer of something that you cant really put a finger on, but you can taste its awesomeness. Here are all the spices that I have used:
You May Like: How To Boil Milk In Instant Pot
Faster Ribs Thanks To The Instant Pot
Discovering that I could make tender, smoky ribs in the Instant Pot was nothing short of life-changing. Ribs, before the Instant Pot, were a once-a-summer special-occasion treat, slowly smoked on the barbecue and slathered with sauce until lacquered and glossy. But ribs are inexpensive and satisfying, and discovering I could cook ribs to tenderness in under an hour swung the door of possibility right open. Wont you step in and join me?
Your Secret Summer Seasoning: Smoked Salt
Smoked salt is a seasoning that every cook should have in their pantry. Not only does it do the same work of liquid smoke with less effort, but it is also flavorful and wonderful for adding to everything from ribs to salty caramels. I love this smoked salt from Spice House. A little will go a long way, making the small bottle a worthy investment.
How To Remove Membrane From Ribs
In some cases, you might end up buying ribs that have a white, shiny membrane connective tissue on the back .; If you notice the membrane, then follow these steps to quickly and easily remove it:
- Ensure the ribs are facing down .;
- Then, slide your fingers under the membrane and rip it off. Also, you could use a knife instead. At one end of the rack, slide a knife under the membrane and over a bone. Use a paper towel to grab the edge of the;membrane and pull it off.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Tuna Steak In Instant Pot
Delicious Ribs In Less Than An Hour
If you cook ribs in the oven or on the grill, you are looking at at least 2 and a half hours of cooking time. This is fine on a leisurely weekend but making them in the Instant Pot means that you can enjoy them on a weeknight! Grab your pressure cooker and lets do this! You will love these quick and easy Instant Pot ribs.
Tips And Tricks For Instant Pot Ribs:
Use your rack to keep the pork out of the liquid on the bottom. If you dont have a rack, ball up some aluminum foil and try to make a rack of some sort to elevate the pork.
My next big tip to making these Instant Pot Baby Back Pork Ribs THE LIQUID!
- Use one cup of water
- 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
The liquid smoke is optional, but highly recommended. Remember how I said I loved my husbands smoked ribs? Adding that tiny bit of liquid smoke gets that flavor in the ribs without pulling out the smoker or grill!
Once the ribs are done, youll let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then finish with a quick release. Carefully remove the ribs and set it on a foil-lined baking sheet.
Brush the rack down with some BBQ sauce and pop it under the broiler for just 5 minutes to get nice and bubbly.
Don’t Miss: How Long Do You Pressure Cook Tuna?
Can You Make Slow Cooker Short Ribs Instead
Yes, you can make the same easy short ribs recipe in a slow cooker. It will take approximately 8 hours on Low or 4 hours on High.
But, its more cleanup because youll have to sear the short ribs separately on the stove first. Plus, the slow cooker takes longer. I really prefer cooking beef short ribs in the Instant Pot!
Tips For The Perfect Instant Pot Ribs:
What type of ribs to use:
I prefer baby back ribs but you can also use spare ribs. Its important to not that your cooking time will vary, depending on your altitude and what type of ribs you choose.
How long to cook ribs in the instant pot or pressure cooker:
- Baby Back Ribs:;25-30 Minutes
- Spare Ribs:;30-35 Minutes
- For low altitude, use the lower number, and for high altitude cook them a little longer.
- Also, the longer you cook them, the more fall-off-the-bone tender they will be. If you want them tender, without falling off the bone, use a slightly lower cook time.
What size instant pot for instant pot ribs?
Any 6 quart or larger instant pot will work!
Removing the membrane from the ribs:
Depending on where you buy your ribs, they may still have the white, shiny membrane connective tissue on the back of the ribs. I buy mine from Costco and they already have the membranes removed. Check to make sure the membrane on your ribs has been removed and if it hasnt, follow these steps to remove it:
- Just flip the ribs so the top is face down.;
- Slide your fingers or a butter knife under the membrane and rip it off.
- No special skills needed here, just use your fingers to yank it up and off the ribs.
Consider serving with a Side Dish.; Here are some of my favorites:
Recommended Reading: No Poultry Setting On Instant Pot
Cooking Ribs From Fresh Or Frozen:
If youd like to cook ribs in your pressure cooker from a fully frozen state there are a few steps you need to take for success:1-Remove the membrane from the under side before freezing.2-Apply the dry rub seasoning before freezing.3-Cut them into smaller sections to make it possible to place them into your pressure cooker when ready to cook.4-Add an additional 5-7 minutes to the cook time if cooking from frozen.
Easy Instant Pot Bbq Ribs
cook time:25 minutes
total time:45 minutes
The easiest and quickest BBQ ribs made right in your pressure cooker! So saucy, sticky, and tender, it just falls off-the-bone!
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 racks baby back pork ribs,;trimmed of excess fat, rinsed, and patted dry
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
Can I Finish The Ribs On The Grill
Yes, you can! In fact, finishing them on the grill is a great option when you dont want to heat up the oven, if the oven is already in use, or if you want to add a smoky flavor to them. We love to finish these Instant Pot pork ribs on our Traeger wood-fired pellet grill because they taste like youve been tending the grill all day. And honestly, if you didnt tell them that you didnt, no one would ever know.
What To Serve With Short Ribs
This beef short ribs recipe goes well with so many different side dishes. Ive got a ton of low carb/keto side dish recipes on my site, here are some of my favorites for pressure cooker short ribs:
- Keto Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes This the classic side dish pairing. You cant go wrong with mashed cauliflower and its perfect to soak up any excess sauce. I have a new recipe coming soon!
Recommended Reading: What Does Auto Mean On Instant Pot