Deep Frying In A Pressure Cooker
As we mentioned, pressure cookers cook things under high pressure. If we combine the 375F temperature needed to deep fry things with the 30-psi pressure, it becomes clear why it is so dangerous.
Deep frying in a regular pot at such a high temperature is scary enough imagine boiling oil under high pressure! The cooker becomes a disaster just waiting to explode.
As a result, you should never deep-fry things in a pressure cooker. So, can you put oil in a pressure cooker at all? Sauteing and shallow frying is alright, and you can add up to a quarter cup of oil in your cooker without any danger.
Can You Use A Pressure Cooker For Frying
The reason why you should never use a regular pressure cooker for deep frying is because the products seals arent meant to withstand the extremely high temperature of the oil. Unfortunately, a large portion of pressure fryers are very large and primarily meant for commercial use, such as inside of a restaurant.
Also Check: Instant Pot Says Food Burn What To Do
Chicken Fried Steak In Your Instant Pot Say It Aint So
If youre curious
This week its all about the Instant pot! Check out todays recipe
I honestly am finding new ways every day to use my instant pot and finding foods that I never knew you could cook in this amazing kitchen gadget. I seriously Love this thing and have been using it at least three times a week these past 2 and a half years. It has been the best kitchen investment I have ever made. Not to mention the cost didnt break the bank either.
- 1tspsalt and pepper
Read Also: Instant Pot Steak
Southern Fried Chicken Recipe
If you dont have a pressure cooker, I did get pretty darn good results even without this stage. It was always just shy of my grandmothers recipe though. Check the instructions for options with and without.
Important safety note: I have seen some recipes where it talks about deep frying chicken in a pressure cooker. Pressure cookers were not meant to be used under such heat and this is a very dangerous cooking method.
A note about some of the variations below: I think maybe my grandmothers had magic powers that I just dont possess. In any case, you might want to experiment with some of the variations Ive included to find just the right recipe and technique for you.
Using A Pressure Cooker
Pressure cookers are a little intimidating, but are easy to use once you get used to it. They cook things at high temperatures under high pressure.
This combination speeds up the cooking process which makes it a great choice when cooking things that take a long time to boil or steam.
As a result, they are perfect for making beef stock, rich and heavy broths, as well as cooking dried beans, lentils, and chickpeas. Because you can broil, steam, and boil things, this leads to the question: can you deep fry in a pressure cooker?
The short answer is no. However, this doesnt mean you cant fry things in a pressure cooker at all. So, frying chicken in a pressure cooker is a bad idea if you want to recreate a KFC bucket.
However, you can absolutely shallow fry or sauté things in a pressure cooker using a small amount of oil. So, can you fry in an instant pot? Yes, as long as you dont deep fry things in lots of oil or clarified butter.
Using an instant pot as a deep fryer simply wouldnt work because an instant pot cant reach the high temperature needed for deep frying.
Recommended Reading: St Louis Style Ribs In Instant Pot
Things Youll Need To Deep Fry Without A Deep Fryer
Before we get into the step by step instructions on how to deep fry with a sauce/pot, lets cover some of the things you may need or simply want to make the process as easy as possible
Can You Fry In An Instant Pot
If you are talking deep frying and pressure frying, then the answer is no. but instant pot can be used for pan frying or sauteing with a little oil.
Instant pot, like the other electric pressure cooker, does not achieve high enough temperatures that could boil oil. If you risk pressure frying in an instant pot, the result is fires, toxic fumes, and even explosions.
Similarly, an instant pot can not deep fry foods. If you try to fill the instant pot with oil and try to boil it, chances are the pot will get scorched and may catch fire in some cases.
The safety features of an instant pot are not equipped to handle safety hazards that are unrelated to water or steam.
Also Check: Pressure Cooker Pork Roast Frozen
The Advantage Of Cooking Chicken In A Pressure Cooker Or Instant Pot
When we cook or fry chicken in an open frying pan, sometimes it does not cook inside properly. But in the case of instant pot, it is cooked outside as well as inside properly within a short time. This is the main difference between usual deep-fried chicken and instant pot fried chicken. By this cooking method, the inner side of the chicken is made more mild and juicy and outside crispy.
Kitchen Products I Recommend:
& amp amp lt span data-mce-type=bookmark style=display: inline-block width: 0px overflow: hidden line-height: 0 class=mce_SELRES_start& amp amp gt & amp amp lt /span& amp amp gt & amp amp lt span data-mce-type=bookmark style=display: inline-block width: 0px overflow: hidden line-height: 0 class=mce_SELRES_start& amp amp gt & amp amp lt /span& amp amp gt
Looking for even more delicious meal ideas? Youll LOVE these ones Ive linked below!
Read Also: Instant Pot Burn Error Message
The Best Air Fryer Recipes
If you’re looking for more delicious recipes to use with your air fryer, check out some of our favorites below:
- Brown Butter Bacon Baked Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- The Best Easy Air Fryer French Fries Recipe
- Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak Recipe
- Air Fryer Cinnamon Raisin Bagels
- The Best Air Fryer Baked Potato Recipe
- Air Fryer Pumpkin Bundt Cake
- Air Fryer Greek Chicken Meatballs
- Air Fryer Blackened Shrimp Recipe
You can find our entire air fryer recipe index here.
Instant Pot Smothered Chicken
Mmmm-mmm! This gravy and chicken is so good thats what youll be saying from the first bite. Try serving this Instant Pot smothered chicken with mashed potatoes or buttered egg noodles, a side of corn on the cob and a green salad. If youre a fan of mushrooms add them into the pot with the chicken. Yum yum!
Why use chicken thighs? Chicken thighs work great in the Instant Pot. They stay moist and tender and are way more predictable than chicken breasts in how they turn out. I like to buy chicken thighs at Winco or at Costco . If you want to know if you can use chicken breasts the answer is yes. They wont turn out as moist and tender. I would use the pressure cooking time according to the formula you can find here.
Why the bacon? Bacon just brings the gravy to a whole new level! For sake of ease I like using the big bag of bacon crumbles from Sams or Costco. If youd like you can fry up some bacon and use that instead.
What if I dont have better than bouillon? Use ¾ cup beef broth and ¾ cup chicken broth instead of the water and the bouillons.
What is half and half? It is half whole milk and half heavy cream. You can find it in a carton in the dairy aisle. You can also use evaporated milk.
- Total Time:20 minutes
Also Check: What Does It Mean To Natural Release Instant Pot
How To Make This Recipe
Follow the instructions below to broast chicken at your kitchen.
- At first, cut a whole chicken into eight pieces then wash all the pieces very well by freshwater. Drain off all water from the chicken pieces.
- Now take 1-liter buttermilk in a container and sink all the chicken pieces into it. Close the jar and keep it in a refrigerator for 8 to 12 hours for marination. Remember, marinating time not exceed 24 hours.
- After complete marination process, remove the chicken pieces from the refrigerator and drain off the buttermilk. Make sure all excess buttermilk drained off perfectly.
- Now take all the spices in a bowl and mix them well. Add this mixture on all sides of the chicken pieces.
- Take another two bowls and add all-purpose flour in one bowl and egg white in another. Dip all the chicken pieces in egg white one by one then coated with all-purpose flour. All sides are coated perfectly by all-purpose flour.
- Now take all the pieces in a tray and covered with a plastic paper. Keep the chicken tray in a refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour but do not exceed 12 hours. Exceeding 12 hours could result in a dark coating when cooked. After this process, remove the chicken pieces from the refrigerator.
Can I Make Broaster Chicken In An Instant Pot
Simple answers, yes. Whether you want to make Broasted fried chicken in instant pot then you have to set the temperature of the instant pot at 375°F. Afterwards pour cooking oil and dip-coated chicken in it. Pressure cook the chicken for approximately 12-15 minutes then open the lid and release pressure.
Also Check: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Breasts
Cooking frozen chicken in an Instant Pot is a weeknight cook’s secret weapon. Make sure you follow the directions for a 10-minute natural release a quick release left us with dry and stringy meat. Allowing for the natural release let all the juices redistribute and we had a plump and juicy breast afterwards perfect for chicken salad or anywhere you would use poached chicken.
Get the Recipe: Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Breasts
Watch Step By Step Making Process Of Broasted Chicken
Take washed chicken pieces in a jar and sink them in buttermilk. Close the pot and keep it in the refrigerator for 6-8 hours for marination.After marination drain off all buttermilk from the chicken pieces.Mix all types of spices in this bowl and Coated the chicken pieces with this mixture.
Beat the egg in a pot and take all-purpose flour in another pan. Now the chicken pieces first dip in egg then coated with all-purpose flour. After coated all pieces keep them in a fridge for minimum 1-2 hour to set it well.
Heat oil in a pressure cooker or pressure fryer and dip these pieces one by one then close the lid of the pressure cooker.
After 7-8 minutes, open the lid and check one piece. If it is cooked well then, remove them and keep on a tissue paper to absorb extra oil.Now enjoy your favorite & healthy Broasted chicken with your favorite sauces and salads or as you like.
You may also check these chicken recipe also
You May Like: What Is Natural Release
Precautions During Making Instant Pot Fried Chicken
- Make the all-purpose flour and cornflour coating perfectly on all sides of the chicken and remove extra dry crust by shaking them.
- Before dip, the chicken pieces in the hot oil, check the temperature by food thermometer or dip a small portion of dough in the oil. Try to maintain the temperature at approximately 350°F.
I hope, now you can make this healthy insta pot pressure fried chicken recipe in your kitchen easily. Please let us know, after making this dish, how was your cooking experience?
Some Related Chicken Dishes
Yellow And Red Lentils
We love lentils, but not all of them can be cooked in an Instant Pot. Brown and green lentils can hold up to pressure cooking, but the more delicate yellow and red versions turn to mush because they cook so quickly. Unless you’re purposely making lentil soup or dhal, stick to cooking red and yellow lentils on the stove to preserve their texture and shape.
Read Also: Can You Put Foil In An Instant Pot
How To Make Fried Chicken
This is a great Instant Pot chicken drumsticks recipe to make. It is an affordable cut of chicken, but feel free to use any other cut of chicken.
It’s also an easy chicken drumsticks recipe to make.
First, you’ll combine the ingredients for the breading in one bowl. In another bowl, beat the eggs. Then, you’ll dip the chicken legs in egg and then the breading mixture.
Heat the oil, and then you’re ready to fry chicken.
Instant Pot Duo Crisp + Air Fryer 8
The Instant Pot® that air fries!
The Instant Pot® Duo Crisp + Air Fryer is fast, versatile, and convenient, with 2 innovative, removable lids to help you to cook and crisp your favorite meals all in one pot. All it takes is cook, switch, crisp!
- 11-in-1 pressure cooker, slow cooker, steamer, sauté pan, food warmer, sous vide, air fryer, roaster, mini oven, broiler, and dehydrator
- 2 convenient, removable lids to transform your Instant Pot into an air fryer
- 11 customizable programs for quick one-touch meals
- Innovative auto-sealing pressure cooking lid with a button for easy, stress-free venting
- Stainless-steel inner pot with tri-ply bottom for perfect sautéing
- EvenCrisp air flow gives you the crunch and tenderness of deep-frying with 95% less oil
- Customizable temperature range of 105°F to 400°F for Air Frying Lid
- Cook up to 8 portions, perfect for families, meal prep, and big batch cooking
- Bring it to potlucks, parties, events and more
- Up to 70% faster and more energy efficient than other cooking methods
- Dishwasher-safe pressure cooking lid and inner pot for quick and easy clean-up
- 10+ proven safety features, including Overheat Protection and safe locking lid
- Accessories include a multi-functional stainless-steel rack, multi-level air fryer basket with base and broil/dehydrating tray, and a protective pad and storage cover
- BPA/PFOA/PTFE-free cooking
- 1500 watts, 120 V~ 60 Hz, UL & ULC Listed
Recommended Reading: Fry Chicken In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Cajun Fried Chicken
Every year, just after Passover, the GFEs of the world stock up on the Non-Gebroks products that are drastically reduced for quick sale once the holiday is over. One of my absolute favorite products to stock for the upcoming year is Nathans Gluten Free Cajun Panko crumbs. They are so good that when I make Cajun Fried Chicken during the year everyone simply raves about how good it is and they would never even guess its gluten free!
Recipe and Photo reprinted with permission from Shabbos Under Pressure by Sharon Matten.
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Dash crushed red pepper
- 1 cup liquid egg, or 4 large room temperature eggs, well blended
- Additional Cajun Seasoning , optional
For the Chicken
- 18 chicken breast tenders, or 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, tenders removed, and each cutlet cut into 5 long strips. You will have 5 to 6 strips per cutlet including the removed tender.
- ½ cup potato or corn starch
- 3 cups Cajun panko crumbs or plain panko crumbs and 2 tablespoons Cajun Seasoning
- ½ cup canola or avocado oil, for frying
- Cool Ranch Spread, for serving
Can You Use Frozen Chicken Wings
Yes, you can, And if you have the air fryer lid because you have an instant pot, it is faster to make frozen wings first in the pressure cooker and finish them with the air fryer lid.
You dont need to wait for the wings to thaw if you have the instant pot, and you can have chicken wings in the same or less time than it would take to order carry-out and much healthier.
You May Like: How To Cook Frozen Meat In Instant Pot
This Fried Chicken In Instant Pot Is A Game Changer
Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice : Baked Chinese Chicken and Rice – Spend With Pennies – Slip three of the thighs skin side down into the oil. Usually, we cook chicken in an open cooking pan like a saucepan or kadhai. Turn and continue frying until golden, crisp, and cooked through, about another 10 minutes. Jan 25, 2021 · instant pot chicken and rice is the perfect comfort food all year round! The texture of this instant pot chicken and rice is almost like a risotto but doesn’t require the tedious stirring for 30 minutes. We used plain white rice for this recipe.