How To Cook On Manual
When you use a manual setting, you are in charge of selecting the cook time, and the pressure in some models, rather than relying on one of the preset buttons like rice or stew. Older models of Instant Pot have a Manual button and newer models have a Pressure Cook button, but both buttons do the exact same thing.
To cook on manual, all you have to do is press the Manual or Pressure Cook button and then use the + or buttons to set the cook time. The Instant Pot automatically cooks on high pressure, but some models have a separate Pressure button that allows you to cook at low pressure if youd like to.
Make sure you secure the lid and move the steam release valve to Sealing, to ensure the pot will come to pressure. Its also important that you follow a trusted Instant Pot recipe, so that you have sufficient liquid in the pot and that your ingredients are layered properly.
As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn on qualifying purchases.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
How To Do A Pressure Cooker Quick Release
After the cooking cycle finished, carefully move the venting knob from Sealing Position to Venting Position to quickly release the pressure inside the pressure cooker.
Usually it takes a few minutes to release all the pressure. Wait until the Floating Valve completely drops before opening the lid.
The steam shooting out maybe intimidating at first. Using a wooden spoon or wear oven mitt/silicone glove to move the Venting Knob may help. You will get used to it
Whats the advantage?
Whats the catch?
- Not suitable for food with large liquid volume or high starch content . Food content may splatter out from the Pressure Release Valve.
- Foamy food may clog the Pressure Release Valve.
- Food, especially beans may break apart due to the sudden change in pressure/temperature.
- If the recipe is designed for Natural Pressure Release, the food may come out undercooked.
How To Do A Pressure Cooker Natural Release
After the cooking cycle finished, wait until the Floating Valve completely drops before opening the lid.
Always turn the Venting Knob from Sealing Position to Venting Position to ensure all the pressure is released before opening the lid.
This pressure release method usually takes 10 25 minutes .
Whats the advantage?
Since the pressure is released gradually, there is less movement in the pressure cooker. Your stock and soup come out cleaner and food are more likely to stay intact.
Whats the catch?
- A pot full of stock or soup takes very long to release pressure naturally.
- If the recipe is designed for Quick Pressure Release, the food may overcook, as the cooking process continues during the natural release process.
The Hybrid of Quick Release and Natural Release
Also Check: How Long To Cook Brisket In Instant Pot
Tips For Releasing Your Instant Pot’s Pressure
- The Instant Pot has a lid that locks automatically when pressure is built up inside, so you can’t open it by accident. This avoids any unfortunate mishaps, making the pressure cooker especially safe. Once the pressure has released, the lid will automatically unlock.
- Repeated steam exposure to your kitchen cabinets can strip away paint or warp wood. When releasing steam, be sure to position the valve away from your cabinets.
- Some recipes call for a natural release for a few minutes followed by a quick release. This is often to allow a dish to cool slightly before releasing the pressure so that it doesn’t splatter hot liquid from the valve.
- Instant Pot recipes vary widely on how they calculate cook times. Some include pressure release time in their estimates, others include both pressure build and release, while others don’t include either. Factor this in when estimating how long a recipe will take.
- “Some Instant Pot models take longer to come down from pressure than others,” says Bir. For example, the Ultra is known for an extra long natural release.
- If you’ve waited half an hour for the pressure to release, chances are you can safely perform a quick release to let any remaining steam escape without greatly impacting the dish.
- Inspect your release valve periodically to make sure it isn’t clogged. It’s a good idea to clean it every few weeks to make sure it works properly.
When To Use High Or Low Pressure On Instant Pot
The adjustment of pressure on the instant pot while cooking food is as much as important as the temperature adjustment. Most of the recipes call for high-pressure settings while there are a few recipes that call for low-pressure settings. The recipes that call for low-pressure settings can be prepared by applying high-pressure, but the time to cook the recipe is reduced. Therefore, a high-pressure setting is the only option for pressure settings on the instant pot.
The high-pressure setting on the instant pot reaches a maximum of 12-12.5 psi . This is a lower psi than stovetop pressure cookers, which reach about 15psi. At 12 psi, the fibers in vegetables and meat break down quickly, allowing foods to be cooked in a short amount of time. Meat, beans, and certain vegetables are cooked at high pressure in quite less time. So, high pressure serves you with a quick-cooking of your meal.
The low-pressure setting on the instant pot cooks at between 4psi to 7psi. On a low-pressure setting, eggs come out perfectly when cooked. You can also try the occasional recipe for vegetables and fish at low pressure.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Spaghetti In A Pressure Cooker
When Do I Use A Quick Pressure Release
Since a Quick Release stops the cooking quickly, it’s used in recipes where you want to avoid overcooking the ingredients.
This is best when you’re cooking vegetables such as asparagus, bok choy, corn, broccoli, or sweet potatoes.
Quick release is also good for delicate foods like hard boiled eggs, seafood, and fish.
Or you do it anytime when you quickly have to stop the cooking process.
How Long Does Natural Release Take
Natural Release time depends on:
- The size of your Instant Pot 3 quart, 6 quart or 8 quart.
- Whats inside what you are cooking.
8 quart Instant Pot has larger pot , so larger volume of pressure to build up inside. If it is meal type recipe, barely any liquid in final product like Instant Pot chicken breast or Instant Pot teriyaki chicken, Natural Release takes about 10 minutes. For Instant Pot lentil soup for example, it could take as much as 40 minutes for pressure to release fully because the pot is large, and all that hot liquid keeps the steam going.
6 quart Instant Pot takes less time to do Natural Release anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes. Thats one of the features I like about smaller pressure cooker.
Wondering which size works for you? Check out my post on which Instant Pot to buy?!
Recommended Reading: How To Defrost Ground Beef In Instant Pot
The Instant Pot Display Wont Turn On
Most display issues are often the direct result of a power problem. One quick way to try and fix your display is to make sure the power cord is fully plugged into your Instant Pot. If you previously tried this and the screen still wouldnt turn on, you should try to plug your Instant Pot into a separate outlet entirely. If youre still unsuccessful, contact Instant Pot support.
How To Use Quick Release On An Instant Pot
Ready to try quick release? Follow these steps:
You May Like: Ahi Tuna Instant Pot
I Keep Burning My Fingers When Trying To Release Steam
The release nozzle on the Pots valve is pretty loose, and twitching it open for a fast release after pressure cooking can be painful for even fast fingers. If youve been burnt by steam before, theres a very simple solution that Pot users have found: Just use a wooden spoon. Push the valve open with the spoon to release it and avoid any steam issues.
My Pot Is Kind Of Stinky
The rubberized sealing ring of the Instant Pot can absorb odors easily, especially when pressure cooking. If you are cooking a particularly pungent meal, the ring may retain the smell, which is annoying when making a different meal. Garlic smells may be the most common, but it can happen over time with a variety of odors.
If the odor is causing problems, take your sealing ring out and try washing it in the dishwasher. This can remove some of the worst of the smell and get the ring back into working order. You may also want to try soaking it in a pan of warm water mixed with baking soda to absorb as much of the odor as you can. Some people even choose to purchase a spare sealing ring and use one for meals and one for desserts.
You May Like: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
What Is Natural Release Instant Pot
As the name suggests, you need to leave your instant pot to work on its own for this method. Your instant pot will release the pressure once it depressurizes on its own.
Your instant pot will signal you with a beep stating that it has completed the cooking cycle and will automatically start releasing the pressure.
To figure out if your instant pot has released its steam completely, completely check the float valve for this. The natural release process is complete if it drops down.
Once the pressure is released it is now safe to open the lid. Remember, you will only be able to open the lid if the pot is depressurized. Never try to open the lid before this process.
A Quick Review Of Important Terms
Since were focusing on the Instant Pot, there are few parts youll need to be able to identify in order for the information in this post to make sense. So lets quickly review a few of the most important parts of the Instant Pot that pertain to pressure release:
- Pressure Release Handle The big knob on the lid used to manually release pressure from the pot. Can be set to Sealing or Venting.
- Float Valve This is the round metal bit next to the pressure release handle. When it is level with the lid, the pot is pressurized when the float valve drops down, the pot is no longer pressurized and can be opened safely.
- Pressure Release Button Newer Instant Pot models dont have a pressure release handle, but rather a pressure release valve and a new pressure release button. Pressing the button triggers the release valve to open and release steam, just like turning the pressure release handle on an older model does.
Note: Other electric pressure cookers may have slightly different parts, but they all work in pretty much the same way. So if you have a pressure cooker that isnt from the Instant Pot brand, the information in this post should still be useful and applicable to you, even if the parts on your pressure cooker have slightly different names. 🙂
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Tuna Steak In Instant Pot
How To Do A Natural Release
1. Upon completing the cooking cycle, your Instant Pot beeps to signal it completed the cooking cycle.
2. Most Instant Pot models automatically begin to use NPR.
3. The process is complete when you see or hear the float valve drop down.
4. Taking the lid off of your Instant Pot vents any remaining pressure.
Fix Instant Pot Wont Open
Why Instant Pot Packed?
The answer to this question lies in general physics, but making it simple for you, this happens when your instant pot creates more pressure inside. Therefore, all the pressure-releasing channels are belocked, or it has a hardware issue.
How Can We Open Instant Pot?
According to the instant pots company guidelines, if you face difficulty in opening the pressure release handle. First, press the pressure release button this will vent out pressure from the pressure valve. Still, it is not opening, then keep repeating this for a while, and you will get your instant pot opened.
The second prescribed method is that take a plastic cover off from the steam release valve. Take a thin metallic string or something like this, insert in slowly in the valve. It will give way to the pressure and open the instant pot.
Is There Any Alternative To Open Instant Pot?
If you have tried all the remedies provided above and can still not open your instant pot, there is an alternative way to open it. You have to press the pressure release button, which will release some of the pressure out. Then take the metallic scale and adjust it between the gap of both sides of the instant pots handle and move it one by one. It is the method through with handle moves and releases out the pressure. The material inside may spill out, but dont worry. You can clean it up after opening the instant pot.
Also Check: Convert Soup Recipe To Instant Pot
Overview Of A Pressure Cooker And Instant Pot
A pressure cooker is the traditional stovetop cooker that we have been using in our households for a long time. In comparison, the instant pot is an advanced electric pressure cooker that comes with great multitasking features to assist you with your cooking.
Although both have been designed to provide you with the best cooking experience, each type comes with the characteristics that can maximize your performance in the kitchen.
A stovetop cooker is perfect for all canning needs. It gains pressure faster and takes little time to release it. This reduces the overall cooking time. It is also quite easy to use and is even affordable. These days, there are tons of different kinds of pressure cookers, so make sure to review all your pressure cooker options before buying.
An instant pot is an intelligent electric cooker that has the functions of multiple cooking appliances. It speeds up your cooking and takes 2 to 6 times less time than a normal pot.
An instant pot speeds up the cooking time by 2 to 6 times. It is essentially a stovetop cooker with added features like an automatic shut-off function, LED control panel, delay timer, and variable cooking programs.
So, which device is the winner? If you want to look into their differences further, you can get a detailed explanation here stovetop cooker vs instant pot.
Now that we know the basic differences, lets dive deeper into how they can be used.
Instant Pot Manual Setting
Depending on the model, the Instant Pot manual setting button will either say Pressure Cook or Manual. This is the setting youre likely to use the most. The temperature, pressure level and cooking times can be adjusted on the control panel.
- Turn the Instant Pot on. It should say OFF on the screen, indicating its in the Stand-By mode.
- Select Pressure Cook button . The default settings will be Normal mode on High pressure. If you press the Pressure Cook button again, it will change from Normal mode to Less or More, which simply changes the automatically programmed cooking time. Less would be 20 minutes and More would be 45 minutes.
- Use the +/- keys to change the cooking time in each mode. In most cases, you will leave it in Normal mode and simply adjust the time as needed.
- Use Pressure Level button to adjust the pressure level press it to toggle between High and Low. For most recipes, you will use High pressure except for cooking more fragile foods like fish, seafood or fast-to-cook vegetables.
- With the manual setting, you can use Natural Release or Quick Release or a combination of both once the cooking is done.
Recommended Reading: How Long To Cook Spaghetti Squash In Instant Pot
What Is A Quick Pressure Release
This is when you turn the pressure release valve/quick release valve to “open” or “venting” at the completion of the cooking cycle. This forces the steam to release from the Instant Pot quickly.
When you hear the “beep/s” that the cooking cycle has been completed, immediately switch the pressure/steam release valve to “venting”. This opens the vent and allows all accumulated steam/pressure to release from the Instant Pot right away.
Use caution when switching the pressure release/quick release valve to venting. Use a pot holder or silicone glove to avoid burns and always keep your face/hands away from the steam release valve.
You will know the Quick Pressure Release is complete when you see/hear the float valve drop down. Once that has happened it is safe to open the Instant Pot.
When to use Quick Pressure Release
A Quick Pressure Release means pressure/steam within the Instant Pot is released very quickly so its perfect for foods that are delicate and those that you don’t want to cook longer than the cooking cycle .
Instant Pot Guide: A Beginners Guide To Using Your Pressure Cooker
Wondering how to use your new Instant Pot? In this Instant Pot Guide, Ill walk you through what you need to know to start cooking with your Instant Pot today. Safety features, how to do an Instant Pot water test, whats the difference between a natural pressure release and a quick release, and what will happen step by step through the cooking process.
Ill be honest the first time I used my Instant Pot, I was overwhelmed and a bit scared. An Instant Pot can be intimidating for a new user. There are so many buttons and safety warnings.
However, I guarantee that once you get started, youll wonder what you ever did without your Instant Pot. I love mine so much that I now own two Instant Pots!
Im going to help you get started with all of the tips and tricks that I have learned through trial, error and research. This Instant Pot manual will tell you everything you need to know to use your Instant Pot for the first time.
Recommended Reading: What To Do When Instant Pot Says Food Burn