Can I Use Brown Rice
I normally make this beef and vegetable soup with long-grain white rice.
However, if you want to make it with brown rice, its doable with a few changes to the recipe steps:
After sautéing the beef and vegetables, add beef broth, tomatoes, and V8 juice along with the brown rice and pressure cook for 18 minutes, with a 5-minute natural release. Then add the remaining ingredients and pressure cook for 4 more minutes, with a quick release.
Easy Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
This easy Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup is sure to become a family favorite. This hearty and delicious recipe uses simple ingredients and is done in 35 minutes. Its naturally gluten-free, low-carb, and so satisfying.
Tender beef and nutritious veggies makes this soup filling and good for you. This one is a family favorite and perfect for leftovers. Since everything is cooked in the Instant Pot, dishes and cleanup are minimal.
What Is The Best Meat For Beef Soup
The best meat to use for this instant pot vegetable beef soup is beef chuck. The beef chuck is located on the front shoulder of the cow. You can also use beef round which is located on the rear muscle. It contains more connective tissue and is slightly less tender than beef chuck. In the grocery store when you see the pre-cut meat labeled as stew meat it will be comprised of either beef chuck or round.
Read Also: How To Cook Beets In Instant Pot
Why You Should Try This Recipe
- No matter what type of healthy diet youre on, this recipe is sure to be a winner. Its nutritious, low-carb, gluten-free, and Whole30.
- You can easily customize the vegetables to what you have on hand you can even use frozen vegetables!
- This entire recipe cooks in the Instant Pot in just about 35 minutes. You can also find stovetop instructions in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- This is the perfect meal prep recipe . Double the recipe and make it early in the week. Enjoy the leftovers for lunch.
Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
Instant Pot vegetable beef soup is a hearty and easy dinner that the whole family will love!
But some of us are obsessed with our Instant Pot and insist on making everything in it. It just seals in all the flavor, and I LOVE using mine to make soups, chilis and stews.
Even though I wrote this recipe using diced stew meat, I must confess that I usually make it with leftover pot roast. It is the perfect way to use up leftovers!
If you are using leftover pot roast, just sauté only the onions, carrots and celery to begin with, and then add diced up leftover pot roast when you add the broth.
I would also like to add that my skillet cornbread is the perfect companion for this soup. I always make this to go with our vegetable beef soup.
You could always serve it with a grilled cheese sandwich, or even plain saltine crackers.
In making this soup over the years, I also sometimes throw in leftover vegetables. Pretty much anything that will hold up to the cook time will work.
Two examples I often do add to the pot: black eyed peas and lima beans. I would not recommend, for example, something like broccoli that would get mushy.
You May Like: How To Make Beef Stew In An Instant Pot
What Veggies Taste Good In Vegetable Beef Soup
One of the easiest things to adjust in the vegetable beef soup recipe is the vegetables. Feel free to add or replace with any of these:
- Butternut squash
- Sweet potato
Even if you make other changes, I would still use the onions and celery for flavor and the tomatoes for the rich red color of the broth.
More Hearty Instant Pot Stews
If youre warming up with hot soups and stews this time of year, try these other Instant Pot recipes next:
- Mexican Pinto Bean Soup is fresh, healthy, and filling, thanks to pasta, beans, and plenty of vegetables.
- Old-Fashioned Instant Pot Beef Stew is a favorite meaty stew with tender and juicy beef and potatoes.
- Deer Valley Beef and Wild Mushroom Stew is full of flavor! Browned mushrooms complement the caramelized, seared beef in this comforting stew.
Do you LOVE this recipe? Leave us a review below to tell us why!
You May Like: How Long To Cook Pre Cooked Ribs In Instant Pot
What To Serve With Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup
While a hearty soup like this vegetable beef is basically a meal in a bowl, it never hurts to serve it with a biscuit to mop up all that goodness. These gluten-free Garlic Cheddar Biscuits are one of our favorites for the soup season.
Note: Biscuits are not Whole30-friendly but this soup is! Yes, even the peas. You can read more about that here.
Making Vegetable Beef Soup In An Instant Pot
You can control the spice level in this soup easily. The Spicy Hot version definitely adds heat to the beef soup. When Im making this for my kids, I use Original V8 juice.
This soup also gets a splash of fresh green color from frozen peas. I recommend thawing the peas before adding them to the pressure cooker.
Tip: To quickly thaw frozen vegetables, place them in a colander, run cold water over them and let them sit until its time to add them to the recipe.
I like to use a large red potato for the recipe, as red potatoes pressure cook well without turning to mush. Be sure to cut the potato into evenly sized pieces so they cook at the same time.
Read Also: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
How To Make ~ So Tasty Vegetable Beef Soup~ Instant Pot
- 1Turn Instant Pot to Saute. When hot add 1 tbsp olive oil, add beef and stir.Once browning add onion and stir. Stir in seasonings. Pour in broth and scrape bottom of pot. Now add all veggies, bay leaf and paste.
- 2Stir and place lid on pot. Hit seal valve making sure it’s sealedSet on high pressure for 4 minutes. Once that is finished let pot naturally release for 10 min Release remaining pressure. Remove lid and stir Taste to see if seasonings need added to your taste. Ladle the deliciousness in a bowl and enjoy! Nothing is better than home made veggie soup, especially when it can be done this quickly.I make this for work and co workers are always asking what smells so good! I just smile..lol
- Last Step: Don’t forget to share! Make all your friends drool by posting a picture of your finished recipe on your favorite social network. And don’t forget to tag Just A Pinch and include #justapinchrecipes so we can see it too!
Reasons To Buy An Instant Pot
If youre one of the select few who has yet to get on the Instant Pot train, dont fret. We have a recipe for Slow Cooker Beef Stew with Root Vegetables thats remarkably similar to this Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup recipe. But if youre on the fence about taking the plunge and getting yourself an Instant Pot, let us give you a little nudge:
What Is The Best Cut Of Beef For My Soup
I used two different cuts in the vegetable beef soup each time I tested it, but I varied the cuts to try to figure out what works best.
For the fattier cut of beef that is used to flavor the broth at the beginning, I tried oxtails and beef short ribs. Both worked, but I found the broth made from oxtails was much fattier and the meat was almost impossible to get off of the bone.
Had I cooked it longer, that wouldn’t have been an issue and I also think the quality of my oxtails is in question because they had very little meat on them to begin with.
When I made the vegetable beef soup with beef short ribs, it was perfect. The meat is easy to get off of the bone, very tender, and the broth had the perfect depth of flavor and richness.
There are two different styles of Beef Ribs and you can use either in this recipe.
English Cut: These are the beef short ribs I used have a large piece of meat on the top of the bone. If you can find this cut, I recommend using them because it will be much easier for you get the meat off the bone and back into the soup.
Flanken Cut: These are cut across the bone and flat in appearance. You can certainly use them and they will give you the great flavor, but it might be a little harder to get the meat off and remove the bones and connective tissue.
The broth will be much fattier, so you might want to let it chill and remove the fat layer on top before proceeding to make the soup.
Vegetable Beef Soup Varaitions
- This recipe is an Instant Pot vegetable beef soup with potatoes, but if youre doing low carb, you may omit the potatoes and use a different type of mixed veggies without corn/peas.
- To make this a Paleo vegetable beef soup, omit the corn. Use mixed veggies without corn or just use your own favorite fresh chopped veggies.
- For an Instant Pot vegetable beef barley soup, just add 3/4 cup pearl barley to the pot while cooking.
- You may omit the frozen vegetable mix and simply add a bunch of different fresh chopped veggies.
- To make this an Instant Pot vegetable beef soup with noodles, add your favorite type of noodles like egg noodles or gluten free noodles when you add the cherry tomatoes and mixed veg.
- To make this an Instant Pot vegetable beef stew , reduce the amount of broth to half. The main difference between a soup and a stew is the amount of cooking liquid.
5-Day Traditional Real Food Meal Plan
Think eating healthy meals with nourishing ingredients 3 times a day is hard? Think again!
This meal plan has 5 breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and even a couple of desserts and snacks ALL made with real food ingredients prepared the traditional gut-friendly way. Jump start your familys health today!
You have successfully joined our subscriber list. Check your e-mail in a few minutes to download your meal plan!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating on the recipe card! What are your favorite easy soup recipes for Instant Pot?
You May Like: Cook Frozen Chicken Thighs In Instant Pot
Ingredients For Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- Beef: This recipe is super flexible and works with most any cut of beef. To name a few: top round, bottom round, chuck roast, chuck eye, London broil, stew meat, sirloin tip, eye of round and top sirloin.
- Beef Broth or Stock: The broth in a can or a box works well in this recipe. You can also use Better than Bouillon or bouillon cubes and make your own broth. Better than Bouillon tends to have a really great beefy flavor.
- Au Jus Mix:McCormick Au Jus Gravy Mix is a good brand that you can find in most every grocery store. Many grocery stores also have a store brand which will work well too.
- Canned Diced Tomato: Diced tomato and petite diced canned tomatoes work well. If you would like to use fresh, that is fine as well.
- Onions: Sweet or yellow.
- Mushrooms: Sliced or you can buy whole and slice or chop them.
- Carrots: You can buy carrots and slices or chop them. You can also use baby carrots.
- Peas: Frozen, fresh or canned .
- Corn: Frozen, fresh or canned.
- Garlic: Minced or pressed with a garlic press. I cant live without my garlic press!
- Barley: You can purchase uncooked pearled barley in most grocery stores, usually located in the rice aisle or bulk section.
What Is Pressure Cooker Beef Vegetable Soup
This soup recipe has ground beef in it but is also packed with many delicious vegetables making it loaded with tons of great nutrients.
Also, there is no chopping needed for this recipe! Your family will get to enjoy all the tastes of the vegetables without all the work.
Once you try this instant pot vegetable soup, I know itll be on your regular rotation this Fall and Winter.
You May Like: Instant Pot Rice Auto
What Types Of Herbs And Spices Should I Use In This Hearty Soup
Not only is your choice of beef versatile, the herbs and spices are too! You can use whatever you like that complements beef.
Today, I chose dried basil & oregano, garlic, white pepper, and fresh parsley. A bay leaf or thyme would be wonderful additions, too! You could even add some crushed red pepper flakes if you like things spicy. Its really whatever strikes your fancy.
How Do You Know When A Natural Release Is Done On An Instant Pot
When making soup in an Instant Pot, you always want to use the natural release. This means, basically, that you do nothing at all to the Instant Pot. Just let the pressure gradually release on its own.
This is important when making any soup because it will be boiling and foamy. If you do a quick release of pressure, foam will shoot right through the release valve on the Instant Pot. As a result, you greatly increase your chance of injury from steaming hot liquid.
A natural release takes anywhere from five to thirty minutes. With soup, it will take longer because there is more liquid in the pot.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup Cooking Tips
There arent many cooking tips to add here, because easy soup recipes for instant pot dont need lots of fancy instructions! But here are a few things to keep in mind:
- While browning the meat before adding the other ingredients helps deepen the flavors, its not totally necessary. If you feel like skipping this step, I wont tell. And your soup will still be delicious.
- You can use any type of potatoes you like: russet, yukon gold, or red potatoes.
- I use the 12 oz. bag of regular mixed vegetables, but you could use any variety of vegetables. This soup is so easy to mix and match!
- You can use beef broth or chicken broth for this recipe homemade is best but use whatever you have on hand.
- If you dont have any cherry tomatoes, this soup still works without them. But I love the richness they add, and how they burst and release all their flavor into the soup.
- Maybe youre wondering, How long do I cook soup in the Instant Pot? Most soups are done in 20 minutes on manual HIGH pressure. You might need to add a few extra minutes if youre not browning/cooking the meat beforehand. Even though cook time is short, IP soups taste like theyve been simmering all day!
- If youre in a hurry, you can do a quick release when the soup is finished cooking in the Instant Pot. But, natural pressure release tenderizes meat even further.
Seriously Satisfying Without The Wait
If youre craving a big hearty bowl of soup that will warm you from the inside out but didnt plan ahead to make it happen, dont worry. Weve got you covered with this Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup. Thanks to the magic of pressure cooking, what would take hours to accomplish on the stove takes less than an hour start to finish with the Instant Pot. And most of that time is hands-off time so youre free to catch up on those life tasks that never seem to end or just relax and take a moment to breathe or create or read. Do what you like knowing dinner is handled.
This post contains affiliate links that will not change your price but will share some commission.
Read Also: What Does It Mean Food Burn On Instant Pot