For Whole & Halved Brussels Sprouts:
- Wash your brussels sprouts first. You can choose now to halve them or keep them whole. Halving them will work better if you want a more authentic roasted end result.
- Place a steaming rack or the trivet into the pot along with one cup of water. Then, place the brussels sprouts into it.
- Cook the sprouts on HIGH for 1 minute and follow up with a quick release of pressure. The 1-minute cooking window is better for halved sprouts or small sprouts. Cook for 2 minutes if you have large, whole sprouts.
- Once the sprouts are softened, you can set them aside. Pour out the water you used to cook with.
- Set the pot to saute mode and add 1-2 tbsp. of coconut oil, olive oil or butter . A high smoke point is ideal. Now, add the sprouts back in. You can add a little garlic, lemon or herbs
- Saute until crispy with desired spices and serve.
For Whole Sweet Potatoes:
- Just like with whole potatoes, you want to begin by poking your sweets with a fork a few times. Then, you can choose to pile them in the pot, wrap them individually in foil with seasoning, or use a steamer basket .
- Add one cup of water to the pot.
- For small to medium sweet potatoes, set the pot to cook at high pressure for 10 minutes. For large sweet potatoes, set the pot to cook at high pressure for 12-15 minutes.
- Allow the pot to naturally release pressure for around ten minutes before performing a quick release.
For Simple Instant Pot Eggplant :
- Wash eggplant and cut into uniform slices or chunks.
- Place a trivet or steaming basket into the pot with one cup of water.
- Place the eggplant into the basket and set the Instant Pot to cook on HIGH for 3-4 minutes,
- Finish up with a quick release.
- Optional: Drain the water and add butter or oil. Season and saute the eggplant to brown the outsides.
Recommended Reading: Steel Cut Oats Ratio
For Instant Pot Shredded Cabbage:
- Remove the flimsy outer leaves from your cabbage and shred it. I prefer to shred mine in the food processor because it is easy to clean and very fast. You can also do this with a mandoline slicer or a knife, of course.
- Place 1-2 cups of water or broth in the inner pot, then place the cabbage in. You dont need to use the trivet or steaming basket for this.
- Cook on high for 2 minutes.
- For soups or for a softer result: Let the pot naturally release pressure.
- For a side or crisper result: Perform a quick release to finish up with.
- Check out these 20 Instant Pot cabbage recipes and make sure to try out Sri Lankan Coconut Cabbage.
How Long To Steam Frozen Broccoli
The wonderful thing about steaming frozen broccoli is that the cook time is JUST 0 minutes.
Many new instant pot users always wonder what I am talking about when I say cook for zero minutes.
It basically means, set the instant pot cook time to 0 minutes and the instant pot will beep when it goes to pressure.
Also Check: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
For Simple Instant Pot Steamed Asparagus Stalks:
- Trim off the woody bottom ends of the asparagus as these dont cook up nicely. Wash the veggies.
- Place the asparagus into a steamer basket or trivet, then place the basket into the pot with one cup of water.
- Drizzle asparagus with olive oil or add butter, season if youd like.
- For tender, firm results: Cook on HIGH pressure for 0 minutes and perform a quick pressure release.
- For softer results: Cook on HIGH pressure for 1-2 minutes and perform a quick release.
- If you have thicker stalks: Add 1-2 minutes to each cooking time.
- If you have thin, stringy stalks: Cook on LOW pressure for 1 minute.
How To Make Chicken And Broccoli In The Instant Pot
- Add your chicken to the Instant Pot liner.
- Add in the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, chicken stock, and minced garlic.
- Place the lid on, set it to sealing, and pressure cook for 4 minutes.
- When done, quick release the steam. Press the saute button and then add in the cornstarch slurry. Stir for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce has thickened to your liking. You can either stir your broccoli in at this time or at the end, place the broccoli in the pot, place the lid on, and let the residual steam cook the broccoli.
- Top with toasted sesame seeds if desired.
Read Also: How Long To Grill Pre Cooked Ribs
How To Make Broccoli In The Instant Pot
- Wash and Cut your Broccoli into small bite sized florets
- Place them in the Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker Steamer Basket
- Set Instant Pot / Pressure Cooking to Pressure Cook for 0 Minutes
- Do a Quick Release of the Pressure
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Optional Drizzle Lemon juice on top for added flavor
What Is Zero Minutes
Weve been doing this for years with stove top pressure cookers, we just didnt need a timer. Electric pressure cookers have timers, so you need to set it to 0 minutes.
Zero minutes still cooks the broccoli. As the pot is heating up and coming to pressure, the broccoli is cooking that entire time.
So as soon as the pot reaches full pressure, the broccoli is cooked and you need to release the pressure immediately so it doesnt overcook.
Using the Instant Pot® as a steamer is very convenient. You can set it and when the pot beeps that it is finished, just release the pressure and eat it!
I have used a steamer in a pot on the stove my whole adult life, and it works fine, but steaming broccoli in the pressure cooker is just simpler, in my opinion.
Instant Pot Broccoli cooks really fast. So as soon as the pot comes to full pressure, its done! It only needs that very small amount of time to cook as under pressure food cooks more quickly.
Other vegetables that I like to cook in my Instant Pot are corn, green beans, beets, cauliflower, squash, and potatoes. I think I eat more steamed veggies now that I did before I started using my Instant Pot to cook them!
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Sirloin Tip Roast In Instant Pot
How To Steam Broccoli In Instant Pot:
- Broccoli First up youll prepare the broccoli by chopping it into florets and rinsing well. Once youve finished chopping just add the broccoli to the Instant Pot liner. You dont need any fancy inserts or anything just drop it in!
- Chicken Stock With the broccoli added you can now pour in the chicken stock. A half cup should do the trick, or if you dont have any you can use water, you just wont get all that wonderful chicken flavor added to the broccoli! Thats all there is to this Instant Pot broccoli, now you can start cooking.
- Pressure Cook Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set it to sealing. Cook on high for zero minutes! A zero minute cook time sounds odd but by the time it gets up to pressure you will have perfect steamed broccoli! When it beeps release the pressure and remove the lid. Use a slotted spoon to remove the steamed broccoli and serve it up right away with some salt and pepper to taste!
Want extra flavor? Squeeze a lemon over your cooked broccoli and watch the flavors pop!
Pressure Cook Cauliflower In Instant Pot
Pour ½ cup cold water and place a Stainless Steel Steamer Basket in Instant Pot.
You can also use the trivet that came with your Instant Pot.
Layer the cauliflower florets on the steamer basket.
Close the lid and turn the Venting Knob to Sealing Position.
Pressure Cooking Method:
- For 2-3 cups of Cauliflower Florets
- High Pressure 0 min + Quick Release
*Note: For reference, our cauliflower was closed to 3 lbs, High Pressure 0 minute + Quick Release yielded tender texture.
Carefully turn the Venting Knob to Venting Position to quickly release the pressure.
Once the Floating Valve drops, take off the lid immediately and remove the cauliflower from Instant Pot to prevent overcooking.
Serve the tasty steamed cauliflower as a healthy side dish!
Enjoy your Instant Pot Cauliflower!~
Also Check: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
How To Steam Broccoli In The Instant Pot From Frozen
If youre cooking broccoli from frozen, cook for 1 minute for a firm texture if you like your broccoli a bit crunchy, or 2 minutes for tender. The amount of water remains the same .
If you steam the broccoli in the IP for 0 minutes, the broccoli will have a bright green color and have a crunchy texture.
If you steam the broccoli in the IP for 1 minute, the broccoli will still have green color but have a slightly tender texture.
If you steam the broccoli in the IP for 2 minutes, the broccoli will slightly change color and become tender with no crunch but not mushy.
Kale & Other Sturdy Leafy Greens
Kale is the ultimate superfood. You just feel healthy when you eat kale. Its a fact of life. Its actually quite tasty. Most greens are jam-packed with micronutrients that our bodies love. These micronutrients help us stay healthy and avoid deficiency. They also provide antioxidants and help us to naturally detox and fight off oxidative damage. We all know we need to eat our greens. Let the Instant Pot make it easier.
You May Like: Heat Fully Cooked Ham In Instant Pot
Steamed Broccoli In Instant Pot
Steaming Broccoli in Instant Pot is convenient.
Moreover, you can steam a wide variety of Broccoli in the Instant Pot.
Like for instance, a whole head of broccoli, fresh broccoli florets and also frozen broccoli.
You can cook them all in your Instant Pot into a variety of different textures like crisp, tender and falling apart soft.
Thats why I love cooking broccoli in the Instant Pot so much.
I know I can deliver a delicious healthy side to my family under 15 minutes.
Instant Pot Frozen Broccoli
Instant Pot Frozen Broccoli. It is so easy to cook Instant Pot Frozen Broccoli in your electric pressure cooker. The broccoli tastes amazing and your family will never know that you used frozen broccoli. Get ready for a new Instant Pot taste sensation.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Meat In Instant Pot
Perfect Instant Pot Broccoli Every Single Time Our Favorite Steamed Vegetable Side Dish Can Now Be Cooked In A Pressure Cooker In No Time At All
Were back with more to add to our long list of easy Instant Pot recipes with this Instant Pot broccoli! Yes I have been trying to eat healthier so we cook a lot of vegetables in our pressure cooker. Im also glad to say my girls LOVE any and all veggies so I need a variety to serve with every meal.
We dont need to smother it with cheese either to love it .
Lets start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
- Sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on top with a little butter and seriously I think we could eat 3 bunches between the 5 of us. My kids would choose vegetables over eating meat any day!
Can I Steam The Broccoli In The Microwave
Yes you can steam the broccoli in the microwave if youd like.
If you are using fresh broccoli, place the florets in a bowl, add 3 tbsp of water and microwave for 4 minutes.
If you are using frozen broccoli, just follow the instructions on the bag .
Add the steamed broccoli on the last step after thickening the sauce. Stir well and thats all!
Read Also: Instant Pot Burn Code
How Do You Steam Vegetables In An Instant Pot
Steaming vegetables in electric pressure cooker is easy but you will need a steamer basket.
You dont need to buy a special steamer basket to make this pressure cooker broccoli. If you already have one at home just check if it fits in the inner pot of your instant pot. If it does, you are good to go.
However, if you are planning on using your pressure cooker more often for steaming, maybe investing in a special steamer basket for Instant pot that can hold a lot of veggies and you can take them all out without any fuss, might be a good idea.
How To Season Frozen Broccoli
When I place my frozen broccoli in the instant pot, I will season it with salt and pepper. This can be done before cooking or just after. It comes down to personal choice.
What is worth mentioning, is that the pressure cooker requires more seasoning because of the way it pressure cooks. So, to save money on seasoning you can just season afterwards.
Also Check: Ful Medames Instant Pot
How To Serve Instant Pot Broccoli
- Drizzled with Browned Butter, salt, and Mizithra cheese
- Read THIS post to learn how to make browned butter
- Mizithra cheese can be found at most grocery stores with a gourmet cheese section. I find mine at Smiths or Harmons
Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli Recipe
Posted on Last updated:
Got some broccoli, waiting to be put to use? Give this easy Instant Pot steamed broccoli a shot and try different ways to put it to use!
Broccoli is one of the most nutrient rich and healthy veggies out there, and being super quick and easy to cook, theres a ton you can do with it. And if you have an Instant Pot, things are about to get better.
The next time you grab some broccoli on your next trip to the supermarket, give this Instant Pot steamed broccoli a try. With zero minutes of cooking time in your Instant Pot, you definitely cant go wrong.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
How To Make Lemon Butter
Combine the butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a microwave safe bowl.
Microwave for 20-60 seconds, or until butter is fully melted. Stir well to ensure it is combined and the salt has dissolved.
How To Cook Instant Pot Frozen Broccoli
Cooking frozen broccoli in the instant pot is one of the EASIEST EVER instant pot pressure cooker recipes.
You can also swap broccoli for cauliflower or do one of those broccoli and cauliflower mixed bags. Not need to change the cook time as both frozen cauliflower and frozen broccoli are the same.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
How To Steam Broccoli Without Steamer Basket
If you are wondering how to steam broccoli in Instant Pot without steamer basket, let me tell you that its certainly possible and its easy too!
- Wash and cut the broccoli into florets.
- Place the metal trivet inside the steel insert along with 1 cup water.
- Place the broccoli florets on top of the metal trivet.
- Pressure cook following the Instant Pot broccoli cooking time chart shared in this post.
For Whole Butternut Squash:
- Peel the butternut squash if desired. Slice the butternut squash in half or quarters either way horizontally or vertically and remove the seeds.
- OR leave the butternut squash whole. You can skip the first step and make it seriously easy if you can fit the entire squash in the pot. It will be more difficult to scoop out the seeds cleanly, and this is not my preferred method personally.
- Place the halves into the trivet or directly into the put with one cup of water.
- Cook on high pressure for around 12 minutes and follow up with a natural pressure release for 5 minutes before performing a quick release.
Don’t Miss: Frozen Brisket In Instant Pot
Do You Need A Steamer Basket For Instant Pot
Whether or not youll need a steamer basket depends on what vegetable youre trying to steam. If youre adding large pieces, you can get away with just using the metal trivet that comes with the pot. If youre doing something smaller like instant pot steamed broccoli, then I recommend getting a steamer basket that is specifically made for steaming vegetables in the instant pot .