Why Use The Pressure Cooker
Pressure cooking in the Instant Pot reduces the cooking time a fair amount. Using an electric one also allows you to leave the pot unattended while it cooks. The cooker will even switch to a Keep Warm setting once cooking has finished so you dont have to worry about turning off the cooker right away when the soup is done.
What Noodles To Use
You really can use any noodles you like! However, most chicken noodle soups are made with egg noodles.
If you want to go all-out, you can make absolutely everything from scratch with homemade egg noodles.
I usually stick with store-bought egg noodles. However, when someones sick, I use whatever I have on hand, including ditalini, shells, or orzo.
What To Serve With Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
As mentioned above, I really love that soups can function as a meal on their own. That being said, if you are looking for side dishes to serve with this Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup recipe, here are a few ideas.
- Garlic Bread: We are always looking for bread to dip in soups, and this garlic bread recipe is fast and fantastic with this soup.
- Twice Baked Potatoes: This soup recipe would go fantastic with these potatoes.
- Kale Salad: If you want to add more veggies to your day, you cant go wrong with this salad. It is absolutely delicious and easy, too.
If you make this Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup or any of my other recipes, leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
Read Also: How To Natural Release On Instant Pot
The Best Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Chicken noodle soup was something that was on our dinner table pretty much every Sunday, while growing up. My mom would always make it from scratch, there was no question about it.
The idea of ordering take out or making it from a mix or something was unheard of. Even to this day when I think of what to make for dinner on Sundays, chicken noodle soup with roasted chicken and potatoes is what always comes to mind.
Chicken soup must be made from scratch. And for that you need a whole chicken, no ifs ands or buts about it. You need a whole chicken with skin and bones and all. The meat and bones give the stock so much flavor and dimension, as well as all that sick day relief. I like to pack mine full of chopped carrots, celery, and super soft egg noodles.
How To Quick Release Instant Pot
When making this Instant Pot Chicken noodle soup, youll use a quick release to stop the cooking so the chicken doesnt overcook. When the cycle ends, just turn the venting knob to vent to release the steam.
Always protect your hand with an oven mitt or kitchen towel to prevent burns as the steam is very hot. Quick release will make the pressure drop in seconds instead of minutes. Once released, the lid will easily open. Never force the lid off your Instant Pot if it doesnt open easily, it is still under pressure and should not be opened!
Also Check: How To Make Chili In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup Faqs
How long will this Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup stay fresh? This hearty soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days for maximum flavor and freshness. However, the great thing about this recipe is that it freezes really well! Make ahead and store in the freezer for up to 6 months! Thaw before reheating and youre good to go!
If I dont have broth, can I use water instead? A water substitution isnt ideal as the broth provides a lot of the flavor for the base of the soup. If youre short on broth or dont have any at all you can actually make your own using water and chicken bouillon granules or cubes. Use 1 teaspoon of chicken bouillon granules or one cube per cup of water and voila! Homemade chicken broth at your fingertips.
How Do You Add Flavor To Chicken Noodle Soup
Adding flavor to chicken noodle soup is quite simple. Here are some of our favorite ways to do so.
- Citrus: adding a little fresh lemon juice to your soup after its done cooking will really brighten things up.
- Hot Sauce: not only does hot sauce add a little spice, but it adds vinegar, which is our #1 secret ingredient for Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Spices/Herbs: feel free to add more fresh or dried spices such as parsley or thyme.
- Garlic: when in doubt, double the garlic
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Air Fryer Basket
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle With Chicken Thighs
If I had to choose my favorite though and money was no object I might say that dark meat would be my fave. Adding a lot more flavor to the overall dish just with brown vs. white meat its kinda a game changer. You can usually find them cheaper with bone-in, and I just cut the meat off beforehand and dice.
Heres what youll need
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts .
- You could use diced chicken thighs
- Or remove the chicken from a store bought rotisserie as well if you prefer.
If yours are not defrosted, follow our Instant Pot chicken noodle soup with frozen chicken timing instead.
Saut Mushrooms Onions & Garlic
First, heat up Instant Pot , then wait until Instant Pots indicator says HOT.
Then, pour 1 tbsp olive oil in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
Add chopped white mushrooms, a pinch of kosher salt and ground black pepper in Instant Pot, then stir to evenly coat the mushrooms with olive oil.
Now, let the mushrooms moisture evaporate as you occasionally stir until mushrooms are slightly crisp and browned.
Add diced onions & minced garlic in Instant Pot, then cook until onions soften and fragrant .
Add bay leaf, chopped carrots and celery in Instant Pot, then stir and season with kosher salt and ground black pepper if you like.
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Burn Food
Get More Pressure Cooking Today Recipes
Here at Pressure Cooking Today, we believe in making real food with fresh and familiar ingredients.
Browse my collection of the best pressure cooker recipes here on my website .
Follow Pressure Cooking Today on and for the latest updates. Or join my to connect with other pressure cooking fans.
Or you can join my free email list! Youll get just one email a week with my latest recipes.
If youre interested in more than just pressure cooker recipes, I share my other adventures in the kitchen over at Barbara Bakes. Youll find some amazing breakfasts and breads, along with the best dessert recipes! Check it out today!
What Kind Of Chicken To Use In The Instant Pot
I use a whole chicken for my soup for a few reasons:
- First, its the most economical way to go.
- Second, I like having a mix of white and dark meat.
- Third, all of the bones and cartilage help to create a rich, nourishing broth.
You can also use any mix of bone-in drumsticks, thighs, or breast meat. Remove the skin if you like, but I like a little bit of rendered chicken fat in my soup!
Also Check: How To Make Kheer In Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- First, use the Instant Pots sauté function to cook the vegetables for a few minutes. You want them to soften just a bit, as they will finish cooking during the pressure cook time.
- Then, add the seasonings, chicken breasts, broth and water to the pot. The chicken breasts will cook whole and then youll shred them after cooking. This helps to make the chicken more tender and the broth more flavorful.
- Pressure cook on high pressure for 7 minutes, followed by a 10 minute natural release. To do a natural release, just leave the Instant Pot alone once the cook time ends.
- Release the remaining pressure with a quick release: carefully use a potholder, towel, or long spoon to move the steam release valve to venting. Some hot steam will escape. Once the steam stops coming out and the float valve drops down, the pressure has been released and you can carefully open your Instant Pot.
- Press the Cancel button to turn the Instant Pot off. Remove the chicken breasts to a clean bowl, plate or cutting board and let them rest for a few minutes. When cool enough, shred the chicken using one of these easy how to shred chicken methods.
- Then press Sauté and add the egg noodles to the pot. The soup will quickly come to a simmer. Let the noodles cook in the soup for five minutes, or until they are just tender. Stir the chicken back into the soup and serve.
Tips For This Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- To make this soup with frozen chicken, I would suggest increasing the pressure cooking time to 12 minutes plus a 10 minute natural release.
- You can use chicken thighs in this recipe if you prefer dark meat.
- You can use bone-in chicken breasts or bone-in thighs if you prefer. Increase the pressure cooking time to 10 minutes plus 10 minutes of natural release. Cooking the meat on the bone will add even more flavor to the broth.
- If you can find them, whole wheat egg noodles work wonderfully in this recipe. You can also substitute other pasta shapes if you dont have egg noodles on hand.
- To freeze this soup, I recommend that you wait and add the noodles after freezing. Cooked noodles may become mushy after freezing. You can cook the noodles separately and add them to the soup when you are ready to serve it.
Don’t Miss: What Is Instant Pot Natural Release
Is It Better To Cook Noodles Before Adding To Soup
We recommend cooking your noodles before adding them to the soup for one reason. If youre planning to have leftovers of chicken noodle soup, we suggest storing your noodles separate from the soup itself so they dont get soggy. By cooking your noodles separately, you prevent this problem altogether!
More of our Favorite
What Kind Of Chicken To Use In Pressure Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
This chicken soup pressure cooker recipe is really flexible, and its easy to customize the chicken you use to what you have on hand.
You can use any of the following with NO change to the recipes cook time:
- raw chicken breasts
- cooked chicken thighs
- rotisserie chicken
Just make sure the chicken is shredded or diced into bite-sized pieces before adding to the soup.
You can also use frozen chicken, with no change to the cook time, if the meat has been diced and frozen flat before adding to the recipe.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Hard Boil Eggs In An Instant Pot
Believe It Or Not My Asian Chicken Noodle Soup Is Actually From A Kitchen Mistake Made A Couple Of Years Ago
I made Hainanese Chicken and Rice for dinner one day and forgot to make the rice. At first, I was panicking because what is Hainan Chicken without the rice? I was too hungry to make rice, so I decided to cook up some noodles, and WOW, I was shocked that Hainan Chicken Noodles arent served in restaurants! After a few tweaks and a couple of trial and error, I came up with my fail-proof Instant Pot Asian Chicken Noodle Soup, also known as my Hainan Chicken Noodle Soup, that will blow your mind!
Why Youll Love This Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe:
- QUICK AND EASY: Because this soup is made in the Instant Pot, theres no watching bubbling pots on the stovetop. Simple to make and delicious to eat.
- HEALTHY: Low in fat and calories and loaded with protein and fresh veggies, this is a soup you can feel good about.
- KID FRIENDLY: This is a great family meal that even your pickiest eaters will love!
If you are looking for a filling dinner that will warm your heart and soul, you cant go wrong with this delicious chicken noodle soup recipe!
Read Also: How To Turn Off Sound On Instant Pot Ultra
No Instant Pot Make This On The Stovetop
Put the chicken in a large soup pot or Dutch oven, breast side up. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot, pouring in the water last to avoid splashing. Cover the pot and place it on the stove over medium heat.
When the soup comes to a boil, turn it down to low and simmer, covered, until the chicken is tender and the meat is just beginning to come away from the bones, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Continue with the remaining steps as described in the recipe below.
Ninja Foodi Chicken Noodle Soup
Really healthy, only requires a few fresh ingredients, and when cooked on high pressure in your pressure cooker it only takes 5 minutes to come out perfect! It doesnt matter what brand you use, they all work well. Make as an easy Ninja Foodi recipe or in a Mealthy.
Weve made crockpot chicken soup many times but with the arrival of my new favorite appliance I knew I could make it much faster in my Instant Pot.
Lets start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this > Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Also Check: How To Make Chicken In An Instant Pot
Secret Ingredient For Chicken Noodle Soup
Secrets outwere sharing the #1 ingredient that makes this IP Chicken Noodle Soup truly the best. Are you ready?
A vinegar-based hot sauce or normal vinegar like apple cider vinegar really balances out all the other flavors in your soup. If you taste your soup and realize its missing something, but its not salt or garlicits likely a little bit of vinegar.
Swap: If you dont like spicy, we recommend using apple cider vinegar or white vinegar 1:1.
How To Make Chicken Noodle Soup In The Instant Pot
The secret to good chicken noodle soup is to make the broth from scratch using chicken with skin and bones. My mom always made her soup with a whole chicken, lots of carrots, onion, celery and sometimes a parsnip for more flavor. The end result is always the best and tastiest broth and my favorite part was always the noodles. Oodles of noodles, the more the better.
This Instant Pot chicken noodle soup is similar but it takes a lot less time and the soup is just as incredible, loaded with tons of flavor.
I did not use a whole chicken, its not necessary, but youll need about 2 lbs of chicken with skin and bones. You will want at least one chicken breast, so that you have some to shred after to add back to the soup. The biggest advantage of using the Instant Pot to make this soup is of course time. It takes 7 minutes to cook the chicken for that delicious broth.
Someone asked me if the food cooked in the Instant Pot is bland and I think the exact opposite is the truth. I find the flavors richer and much deeper. When you open that lid after cooking and the aromas hit your nose, you wont be able to wait till you have a taste of this soup.
One thing to note is I didnt cook the noodles with the chicken on the soup cycle and that is because I didnt want to end up with mushy noodles, noodles cook quick anyway, so I didnt think its necessary.
Read Also: Instant Pot Dual Coffee Maker
How To Freeze Chicken Noodle Soup
Freezing chicken noodle soup is super simple. Make the soup as written in the recipe card, but DO NOT add the noodles. Your noodles will get soggy if you try and freeze/thaw them.
Let soup cool completely and then transfer it into a freezer-safe gallon size bag. Remove as much air as possible and then freeze for up to 3 months.
Follow our tutorial on How to Freeze Soup HERE.
More of our Favorite
Chicken Noodle Soup In The Instant Pot
When youre sick whats the only thing you want? Chicken noodle soup. Okay and if youre me maybe some ice cream to wash it down.
But really homemade chicken noodle soup is one of my go-to dinners and not just for sick days.
Its so nice to sit down to a big bowl of this after a long day.
Plus I love that my whole family loves chicken noodle soup so I make it a lot. I dont get the Mom, how many more bites 30 seconds after weve sate down to eat.
My kids actually even request it for dinner.
And we love it with some fresh toasted and buttered sourdough bread. Bread and soup just go hand in hand dont they?
You May Like: How To Cook Sirloin Steak In Instant Pot
Best Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
We might be biased, but this Instant Pot Chicken Soup is truly the best.
So Flavorful theres nothing worse than a chicken noodle soup recipe that lacks a flavorful broth. I can tell you right now, that this Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup recipe is a 10/10 flavor-wise and a lot has to do with the broth.
Its made with both ground and whole/dried spices, lemon, and even a little hot sauce for some zing.
Quick-Release were just like you when scouring recipes from the internet. The quicker the better! Thats why, when developing recipes using the Instant Pot we really try to perfect them WITHOUT a natural release.
Natural release adds more cook time to your meal and aint nobody got time for that!
Healthy Dinner Idea at the end of the day, we love making our own Chicken Noodle Soup in Instant Pot because you can control what goes in it. You can control how much salt is added, what its flavored with, and the veggie to chicken to noodle ratio!